Main Menu

Round 1: 12 - Michael Fleisher or Robbie Morrison - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 June, 2020, 06:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Very interesting vote this one and one worthy of a COUPLE of 'rule' reminders. The first writer has produced some very well respected work for DC Comics, some of his run considered the classic version of a couple of characters. But this is about world for Tharg and so remember 'rule 1'

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any writer who has got to this vote, be it the tourney proper or qualifying, is a better writer than we will ever be and so even if you really don't like someones work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

The second, well if you've read Nikolai Dante and Shakara they need no introduction.

Michael Fleisher - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=MICHAELF

OR

Robbie Morrison - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=ROBBIEM

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Saturday 6th June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46461.0

Two more Round 1 votes off start tomorrow.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

TordelBack

Finally an easy one.  I'm sure Michael Fleisher is a lovely man and a talented writer,  but he was a terrible fit for 2000AD. I liked looking at Junker,  that's as far into the positive as I'm prepared to go.

Robbie Morrison wrote Nikolai Dante. No more need be said (although it certainly could be) .

It's Morrison for me.

abelardsnazz

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well, obviously Robbie Morrison. However, Fleisher does get unfairly knocked about in these parts- which is understandable, as his work for Tharg was on the whole a bit crap (and seemed to go on forever). In contrast, his other comics- notably Jonah Hex and from my point of view Conan- were much better. He was, without doubt, one of Western antihero Jonah's leading writers, and Jonah Hex is an amazing comic which I have grown to love hugely this last few years.

But Morrison, because Dante.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 03 June, 2020, 09:02:39 AM
... However, Fleisher does get unfairly knocked about in these parts- which is understandable, as his work for Tharg was on the whole a bit crap (and seemed to go on forever). In contrast, his other comics- notably Jonah Hex and from my point of view Conan- were much better. He was, without doubt, one of Western antihero Jonah's leading writers, and Jonah Hex is an amazing comic which I have grown to love hugely this last few years.

Yeah absolutely this. His Jonah Hex is fantastic and his 70s and early 80s work on the character really moved the comic into that darker, post spagetti western, space westerns in film had moved to. While he didn't create the character in so many ways his work did define him.

AlexF

sintec

Buttonman

Being fair and objective there is only one winner here - props to Mr Fleisher but this is a Morrison  landslide for me.

Bolt-01

IndigoPrime

Fleisher's work for 2000 AD was mostly awful. Harlem Heroes was a real nadir for the Prog and had some of its worst-ever dialogue. With everything he wrote for the Prog, you can only imagine how much it would have been had he not been paired with capable artists (like Ridgway on Junker).

Morrison wrote Nikolai Dante. I mean, he wrote some other stuff too. A bunch of Dredds. The uneven Shimura. Bendatti Vendetta. And, er, Brit-Cit Brute. But I suspect it's Dante that could see him slug his way through further rounds.

So: Robbie Morrison.

broodblik

I really like Fleisher's Junker but the rest was pretty average at the stage he start writing Friday I completely lost interest.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 June, 2020, 07:49:32 AM
Finally an easy one.  I'm sure Michael Fleisher is a lovely man and a talented writer, 

Was, not is, sadly.  I thought the first Harlem Heroes was a bit of inconsequential knockabout fun but didn't like much else he did for the prog.

Also, I really wasn't a fan of Dante at first, but by the end I loved it. So yeah, a clear win for Morrison.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 June, 2020, 10:48:59 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 03 June, 2020, 07:49:32 AM
Finally an easy one.  I'm sure Michael Fleisher is a lovely man and a talented writer, 

Was, not is, sadly. 

Gah, I had it my head that he had passed away quite recently, so actually googled him before I typed that - retracing my steps now I see the page I read was from several years ago. Thanks for the correction, Jayzus.