Main Menu

Devlin Waugh: Red Tide collection

Started by Oddboy, 17 April, 2005, 07:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Shite, I was gonna buy that at the end of the week.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

Indeed - let's face it, no one is exactly going to miss dialogue along the lines of:

"GN Page 160 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 10 - Panel three:
SIRIUS CORPUS: "III EVOLUTIONARY SHIFT PARAMETERS: STABILISED DNA ACTIVATION PROGRAM ON SHUTDOWN:"
SIRIUS CORPUS: "III DISINGAGING HOLOSPHERE:"

unless they are a big Star Trek: Voyager fan.

Anti-plastic - it's the way of the future.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

This bit of the script is wonderful out of context:

GN Page 161 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 11 - Panel one:
PUSSY: "EEEASY NOW... JUST A FEW MORE SECONDS... WAIT TILL IT'S HALFWAY THROUGH..."
- Panel two:
PUSSY: "NOW! SHUT OFF THE GLORYHOLE!"
THE HEROD: "UUUUUUU"
- Panel three:
DEVLIN: "YOU'VE DONE IT! YOU'VE CUT IT IN TWO! THE BOUNDER DOESN'T LIKE THAT ONE BIT!"
- Panel four:
PUSSY: "THAT'S THE EASY PART! NOW WE'VE GOT TO GET IT OVER THE EDGE!"
- Panel six:
PUSSY: "BUNNY DOWN THE HOLE!"

If I hadn't read the series, I'd be rushing out to buy it for all the wrong reasons.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ukdane

Any official response to the missing text?
Has it been edited out on purpose?
Cheers

-Daney

The Amstor Computer

Just what I was wondering... anything yet, Odds?

Can't see it being an editing decision - if it passed at the first stage and got into the comic, I can't see any reason why it would be removed for the trade.

My money's on a fuck-up at some stage...

ukdane

mine too, the only reasons I can think of to edit the text would be 1) it was too graphic, and/or 2) it makes the entire story easier to read, which is my second bet. After all, look how many people commented above about not noticing the missing text.

Odders you're a geek ;-)
Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

There were just too many panels of people standing around doing nothing while in mortal peril - it looked like they should be talking.

(Not had any reply yet.)
Better set your phaser to stun.

Colin YNWA

NECRO - beat this NECRO if you can.

Anyway just finished the new edition of Devlin Waugh - Red Tide. Its a very different collection to this one I suspect including stories from a good number of Megazine's in the 200s. Red Tide is joined by Bite Fight, Vile Bodies, All Hell and Innocence and Experience. All the stories are delight and brutal in equal measure, the light and dark shades of our leading man just a breezy joy as he takes up down dark paths, both his own and those of the world's he inhabits.

Red Tide is a tense action thriller in the mode of a zombie movie and when you read it you know the stories aren't going to top it. The you get to All Hell and realise you were wrong as Waugh journeys into hell in quite fantastic style. So that's going to be the best ... until you get to the history lesson and origin story that is Innocence and Experience which is sublime...(actually I didn't enjoy it as much as All Hell but that would have spoiled what I was after.) John Smith just finds ways to keep the stories thrilling and yet astonishing smart and engaging. The character is an absolute joy to read and while his adventures are brutal and horrific he grants them and idefinible quality of pomp.

All this and art of Colin MacNeil, John Burns, Peter Doherty and some pages from Jock's aborted Red Tide which I didn't know about and while the previous package might have been a diappointment this is one of the best 2000ad collections I can remember reading.