Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Colin YNWA

willthemightyW

Are we not also expecting a T.V series, 'underworld' or something? Do we have a thread about that?
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

TordelBack

Business.  As usual.

Wonder how it affects the ongoing Clone Wars series, in view of how closely Lucas has been involved in recent years.  Presumably at least the 6th season is well into production at the moment.

JOE SOAP

Looks like we'll get the original films on Blu-Ray now.

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

I think they all ready took it from you George when they started re-editing your films, desperately looking for the greater films within the lesser.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Just saw THIS over on io9. Apparently disney bought Lucasfilm out for FOUR FUCKING BILL ION FUCKING DOLLARS.

I don't think the mouse is going to let Lucas anywhere near this movie, apart from maybe some perfunctory consultant credit
You may quote me on that.

DrJomster

Well here's hoping the new films are better than episodes I to III. Can't be too hard can it?

Also looking forward to that Mark Hamill cameo in episode VII...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

von Boom

While I would be happy to Lucas give up Star Wars I'm not sure the Disneybots could do much better.

COMMANDO FORCES

So the prophecy is coming true. That story about 9 films in the story arc, which was said about 25 years ago and then denied, may be coming true :o

JOE SOAP

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney's very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company's unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney's portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company's ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world's highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Releases/Disney+to+Acquire+Lucasfilm+Ltd./7828436.html

Maybe it's not the worst that the House of Tharg ain't a license to print money otherwise Uncle Walt might eat us.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 October, 2012, 08:59:02 PM
So the prophecy is coming true. That story about 9 films in the story arc, which was said about 25 years ago and then denied, may be coming true :o

Looks more like it's going to be 99 films now:

Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 30 October, 2012, 08:54:30 PM
While I would be happy to Lucas give up Star Wars I'm not sure the Disneybots could do much better.

I don't know, the Mouse has a lot off weight to throw around. They could put together a top class team, they have Pixar and the Marvel Movie Mandarins in their stable. Imagine if Pixar made Star Wars. John Ratzenberger would probably play one of Han's dodgy mates.

They don't even need to make a movie though do they? I'm assuming the buy out included merch revenues. I think the Mouse's biggest problem will be finding a director. You'd have to be very brave and/or very stupid to take on Star Wars. Zakk Snyder, anyone?
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Much as I fear the People of the Mouse, they can be a bloody competent operation, and the barrel has already been thoroughly dredged under the previous owners.  As others have said over on the main SW forums, it's hard to get excited about 'Episode VII', since the story was the story, and it turned out that dragging it out for three prequels was pretty disappointing.  However, the idea of a new SW film, without that title/burden, is quite enticing.

It looks to me like Lucas has correctly judged that the star in SW is on the wane, and $4B is as good as it's going to get.

So, Joss Whedon's Star Wars, anyone? 

JOE SOAP