Main Menu

The Spirit

Started by willthemightyW, 20 May, 2013, 07:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

I'm about to dig out the Spirit stories that I have upstairs (I'm talking about the original Will Eisner 7 page strips, not the New Adventures or the Darwyn Cooke stuff, as good as it is) and I was wondering, what are your favourite Spirit strips? I haven't gone through what I have for a while, but I remember a story called 'Fox at Bay' being one of my favourites; it's about a lone gun man in an apartment building, The Spirit has to go up and stop him, and, if I remember correctly, he ends up severely injured from the waist down, as seems to happen a lot to the Spirit!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Colin YNWA

Wow how are you meant to pick your favourite Spirit story? So many to choice from, I'll go for a cliche and say 10 minutes (never have seen the film yet, must get around to that) or the one where the alien walks around, the name of which escapes me but is one of these.

http://www.comics.org/issue/41410/

Or the one where a batter Spirit is woken to the sound of a dripping tap... so many and so many I'm not remembering. Its also fair to say that, that other cliched choice 'The Story of Gerhard Shnobble' (yes I did look it up) is an absolute classic.

willthemightyW

The film is... it's not for me! There are bits of it I like, the fight scenes are fun, and that's about as far as it goes for me! Not sure I've read the alien one, but Gerhard Shnobble is great! Another one I remember quite well is (I think) called Lorelei Rox, I remember that as being one I always used to re-read! Some how or another we own various reprints (the kitchen sink ones etc) and the few trades (I think there have actually only been two) that DC put out, so I'm looking at getting the DC archives, I know they're a bit pricey, but it's something I've been putting of for years, and the price hasn't changed! Another one I'm interested in is IDW's The Spirit artist edition, a big A3 hardcover full of scans of Eisner's original art, though that's somewhere in the region of £120!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Colin YNWA

I now have a full set of the Kitchen Sink issues. Taken me quite some time to track them all down over the years but I'm really glad I have them. I'd love the Artist edition but these days I'm getting pretty good at resisting books like that. I even sold my Will Eisner Sketch Book. Beautiful as it was I don't have time or space for that kinda of 'coffee table' book. There's too many comics to read out there to get too lost looking at the glorious art alone.

The archives are a different matter and if they weren't so expensive and if there weren't so damned many of them I'd think about starting trying to get them. Still need to track down the last ones though as I've never read The Spirit in Space stuff.