Main Menu

The lost scripts of Judge Dredd: America to be revealed for the first time

Started by IndigoPrime, 17 June, 2020, 03:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

New book reveals John Wagner's long-lost scripts for the groundbreaking Judge Dredd story

Long considered one of the most important stories in British comics history, the long-lost scripts behind the Judge Dredd story America are now to be revealed in a brand new book.

America was a Judge Dredd story about freedom, terrorism, and armed struggle that has fresh and powerful resonance in today's world – and America: Lost & Found – The Rediscovered Scripts takes you behind-the-scenes on John Wagner and Colin MacNeil's groundbreaking story, which confirmed Judge Dredd's place as one of the most politically charged and nuanced series in comics.

Retailing at £19.99, America: Lost & Found – The Rediscovered Scripts will be released in hardcover on 30th September exclusively from the 2000 AD webshop at shop.2000AD.com

PRE-ORDER HERE

Rediscovered by chance three decades after publication, Wagner's surviving scripts for America are now presented with in-depth commentary from the writer, revealing for the first time the thinking and process behind this shockingly mature and morally-complex story.

The script is then followed by the story itself, with MacNeil's beautifully fully-painted art remastered and still delivering its emotional gut-punches after 30 years.

With new introductions from John Wagner and Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Boys), this is an absolute must-read for fans of Judge Dredd and the processes behind making comics, but also those looking for insight into the politics and evolution of one of the most famous comic book characters of all time.

Originally published in the new Judge Dredd Megazine between 1990 and 1991, America heralded a new phase of Judge Dredd. During the 1980s, John Wagner and Alan Grant had already explored the fascistic authoritarianism of Dredd's world in stories about political oppression and pro-democracy terrorism. In America, Wagner overtly took the viewpoint of ordinary citizens living under this despotic system, showing their struggle with pathos and subtlety that took the storytelling in Judge Dredd to a whole new level of maturity and complexity.

In Mega-City One, the Judges are the law – acting as judge, jury, and executioner. But how do the citizens really feel about a system where they are powerless? America Jara and Bennett Beeny grow up as best friends, living a fairly trouble-free life in a dangerous city... bar the odd encounter with a Judge. Time draws them apart, and when they are brought back together, Beeny is a successful singer and America has become involved with a terrorist organisation – with the Judges in its sights!

Max Headroom

Will this feature 'America 2' as well, or just the original story?

judgeurko

dweezil2

Doesn't really matter how many copies you have of this, for such an influential story it sounds like a must buy!!!

Saucy hardback too!!!!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

oshii

If it's the size of the Cursed Earth or Brass Sun hardbacks, I'm in.

Less so if it's casebook/Hachette size.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: oshii on 17 June, 2020, 08:07:51 PM
If it's the size of the Cursed Earth or Brass Sun hardbacks, I'm in.

Less so if it's casebook/Hachette size.

Actually that's a very good point. Though I do wonder as the original Megs were nearer US size and so probably Hatchette size?

Magnetica

Not sure how many copies of the same story I can justify. Does anyone know how many pages the scripts and associated commentary comprises?

Funt Solo

It looks like an interesting read, but the title sort of suggests there was an "America" sequel that got lost, or the original script had to be rewritten cos it was lost and the America we all know and love is some kind of second rate draft.

Admittedly, the title "The scripts of Judge Dredd: America..." doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "The lost scripts..."

It's been sexed up: that's all I'm saying.

Given that John Wagner's scripts are famously terse, is the script just: "Colin, make a ground-breaking thing that'll be remembered for years to come - ta, JW"?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

You know Funt, that's a good point.  I'd missed that.

I was always in two minds about something that I already had in a couple of formats (then again, who amongst us hasn't known that 'forbidden love' for the same book in so many different editions?)

A better description is "America: The Annotated Edition" by the looks of it.  It would have been better running the strip / commentary alongside the strip to save flipping backward and forward all the time.

It still looks interesting but it hasn't quite got to the 'must buy' stage.

AlexF

I have to imagine that at some point, Wagner discusses here how he sees the balance between Dredd as hero and Dredd as villain, which has got to be worth spending money on. Especially if his views on that question in 1990 are different from his views today.

And for the record, it'd be my 4th time buying this one story, putting it level with Nemesis book 1!  :lol:

AlexF

Graeme McMillan, one of the co-hosts of the Drokk! and Wait,What? Podcasts has had a sneaky preview of the collection and shares some details of what's in it and why it's almost definitely worth buying in the latest episode of Wait What here:

http://www.waitwhatpodcast.com/

Rately

Quote from: AlexF on 22 June, 2020, 05:23:40 PM
Graeme McMillan, one of the co-hosts of the Drokk! and Wait,What? Podcasts has had a sneaky preview of the collection and shares some details of what's in it and why it's almost definitely worth buying in the latest episode of Wait What here:

http://www.waitwhatpodcast.com/

Cheers for the heads up!

Love Graeme's Podcast, and was a massive fan of his blog, Fanboy Rampage, back in the mists of time!

Great to see him doing so well for himself.

Colin YNWA

I'd forgotten about this until I got a dispatch notice yesterday from Rebellion and its landed to and I have to sy it looks smashing. Its a lovely looking tone and passes the smell test with flying colours too.

Chuffed!

Trooper McFad

Oops double post 😳
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

America lost & Found and the Major Eazy V The Rats got delivered this morning both looking good. Plenty extras to read through in the lost & found book.
Better get Rok finished tonight!
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!