Main Menu

Help me Hive Mind, you're my only hope...

Started by Bolt-01, 22 August, 2018, 09:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Do you know of any local tailors or seamstresses who could make one for you?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

rogue69

you can find some Star Trek uniforms on Wish

Bolt-01

Can anyone remind me when the 2000 AD pencil with the Rian Hughes (?) graphics was given away with the prog?

Bolt-01

Funt Solo

The 1987 Sci-Fi Special has a Strontium Dog story in it - it's a 15-pager with art by Ezquerra. It doesn't have a title but it features a megalomaniacal computer named McIntyre.

It's got to be a reprint because the Ezquerra art is definitely pre-'87, and the credit card says "blueprinters" and doesn't look like 2000 AD.

It's not from the weekly Starlord, because it's 15 pages straight (not episodic), which means it must come from either the Starlord Summer Special or one of the three Starlord annuals. Does anyone know which it was originally published in?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 31 March, 2020, 10:19:08 PM
The 1987 Sci-Fi Special has a Strontium Dog story in it - it's a 15-pager with art by Ezquerra. It doesn't have a title but it features a megalomaniacal computer named McIntyre.

It's got to be a reprint because the Ezquerra art is definitely pre-'87, and the credit card says "blueprinters" and doesn't look like 2000 AD.

It's not from the weekly Starlord, because it's 15 pages straight (not episodic), which means it must come from either the Starlord Summer Special or one of the three Starlord annuals. Does anyone know which it was originally published in?

It is from the weekly Starlord.  I covered it in my prog slog blog last year.

Funt Solo

Thanks, Sheridan.  That's the fella!

They must have taken out the logo from episodes two and three when they reprinted it in the Sci-Fi special. Barney lists it for the special as McIntyre and for the Starlord issues as Planet of the Dead.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

There's a Strontium Dog tale in the 1980 Sci-Fi Special (#3), which is mostly text story but has some comic panels interspersed. It's six pages long and has no sub-title. I named it (or someone else did but I forgot my source) "Kurtiz on Krillion-6", and it's clearly inspired by Apocalypse Now.

Can anyone identify the writer or artist? I think it's early Ezquerra, because the final panel has that bumpy edge thing he did, around Alpha's helmet cam.

(Barney has nothing on it, and neither does Touched By The Hand of Tharg.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

1980 Sci-Fi Special (#3) has a story "The Steel Claw", with no subtitle and no credit card. Perhaps a reprint?

It's 8pp, and has a weird alien machine that looks like a giant hairy eyeball on four spindly metal legs landing in Orkney and taking out some hapless crofters. Nuking it does no good - so, in many respects this is heavily inspired by the US movie version of War of the Worlds (1953).

Anyone know who the creators are on this one?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

From memory that is Steve Kyte, who also did the full Stront strip in the 1982 annual and one of those Durham REd apocryphal tales many years later in the Megazine

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 May, 2020, 11:16:26 PM
There's a Strontium Dog tale in the 1980 Sci-Fi Special (#3), which is mostly text story but has some comic panels interspersed. It's six pages long and has no sub-title. I named it (or someone else did but I forgot my source) "Kurtiz on Krillion-6", and it's clearly inspired by Apocalypse Now.

Can anyone identify the writer or artist? I think it's early Ezquerra, because the final panel has that bumpy edge thing he did, around Alpha's helmet cam.

(Barney has nothing on it, and neither does Touched By The Hand of Tharg.)

Leigh S

Not only have they taken out the logo, but they have bowdlerised the art somehow in taking out the original colour from the colour spread - at the time I assumed someone had traced the art, but thinking about it now, possibly they just used the black separation sheet thingammee - where's Jim Campbell when you need him!

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 April, 2020, 01:23:24 AM
Thanks, Sheridan.  That's the fella!

They must have taken out the logo from episodes two and three when they reprinted it in the Sci-Fi special. Barney lists it for the special as McIntyre and for the Starlord issues as Planet of the Dead.

Funt Solo

Here's another puzzler - the FCBD 2016 has a Strontium Dog tale in full colour with art by Ezquerra. It's six pages long, clearly a reprint and (being full colour) must be from an annual. It features a mutant who collects other mutants on a big moth-shaped spaceship.

Is it from the Starlord Annual 1982?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 May, 2020, 07:22:12 PM
Here's another puzzler - the FCBD 2016 has a Strontium Dog tale in full colour with art by Ezquerra. It's six pages long, clearly a reprint and (being full colour) must be from an annual. It features a mutant who collects other mutants on a big moth-shaped spaceship.

Is it from the Starlord Annual 1982?

Yes it is and was in full colour on first printing.

Bolt-01

There's a thought - are the annual strips going to be in the new S/D book?

I'm ridiculously excited to get this volume.

MumboJimbo

Hi guys, my question is this: does anybody have any info about which issues the page count of 2000 AD changed?

The reason I ask is I came across, in my stash of old 2000 ADs, prog 889, a relaunch issue with a new logo, and it felt surprisingly weighty (for a prog) in my hands. So I counted the pages and lo and behold, it's a whopping 44 pages, and I believe this page count was kept up for a few months. When I started my rum and uncanny 2000 AD journey back in the halcyon days of '83 the count was, and is now, 32 pages. I think around prog 650 ish it went up to 36 pages and stayed at that count for a number of years. I know I could spend some time with Barney to work this all out, but does anyone already have a list of page count changes? If not I'll do it myself and report back on this very self-same posting, should anyone express an interest. Ta