Main Menu

The big fat COLOURING thread

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 16 May, 2012, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

...that will hopefully be big and fat. I thought it was high time there was a dedicated thread to colouring and colourists and COLOURING ADVICE generally. Any opportunity to rub it into the face of Americans that it's spelt differently.

To kick us off here are three pages from THE AMAZING Massacre for Boys with lines from the astounding Steven Denton who's actually A RIDICULOUSLY RIDICULOUS colourist in his own right. No pressure!

mygrimmbrother

A great idea for a thread Owen, and a damn good start too. Did you colour these pages then?

Will throw a few things up tonight when I get home from work - been colouring my old Fractal Friction compadre James Corcoran's new 'Kid Tiger' strip recently, so I could show those. Plus I've been colouring something by Dave Hitchcock with a possible view to collaborating on a strip (although it's looking unlikely now due to deadlines changing, but never mind - I've still got a sample splash page I coloured). Anyway, nice one  :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah - I coloured them - got me potential work with Time Bomb and Afterlife, Inc. as well :O Wasn't expecting that!!!

Your colours are an inspiration Mr Soffe sir, the Fractal Friction stuff used to blow my eyes off!

Here's some for Grant Perkins (not sure if he put this in his thread or not)

Emperor

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 May, 2012, 09:10:28 AMI thought it was high time there was a dedicated thread to colouring and colourists and COLOURING ADVICE generally.

You mean like a general colouring thread? ;)

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/board,26.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

CrazyFoxMachine

That linked to nothing - making me the victor! Me and Alski clearly both have something in common... although it isn't luscious flowing locks I tell ye that.

mygrimmbrother

Maybe this one could be dedicated to actual samples (which we could all discuss) rather than just a general discussion? I like the idea of gathering them together in one place.

Here are the first couple of pages of Kid Tiger (drawn by James Corcoran):

And a pin-up of the character:

locustsofdeath!

Ooh lovely job, all of you. I especially like your work on that Perkins Ghostbusters pinup.

And mgb, wonderful stuff on James' strip - love to see a couple of my favorite artists work together. But although Kid Tiger has some lovely whiskers, they're nothing compared to the whiskers of a certain character you recently colored... :D

Emperor

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 May, 2012, 06:44:09 PM
That linked to nothing - making me the victor!

You win the battle*, but not the war:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,25751.0.html

Thanks to some cack-handed copy and pasting on my behalf, I should add.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Rorschachs_Journal

CrazyFoxMachine! That first example is outstanding!! In fact, everything on this page is!!

I was tipping my hat to Grimm the other day on his 10 minute portraits. (I've since been noseying through his DeviantArt, which only deserves yet more metaphorical hat tipping!)

I'd like to see your colours on his ink (ooh err!!) Could be awesome!

Wish I could draw/colour... Hopefully I make some progress with my writing and maybe I could wrangle you guys into working on something with me one day! :D
"ANYBODY SEEN RITCHIE?!" - Steven Seagal, Out For Justice, 1991

Youtube comedy channel: www.youtube.com/user/bruceclap

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 16 May, 2012, 06:50:30 PM
Maybe this one could be dedicated to actual samples (which we could all discuss) rather than just a general discussion? I like the idea of gathering them together in one place.

So much for that idea.

Love those colours Soffe, sir. I think you're the best of all of us - those muted vintage tones are just... glorious.

Emperor

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 May, 2012, 12:33:28 AM

So much for that idea.

I can split it off again, I am just after the merging/splitting Nectar points I get...

mygrimmbrother

Love those colours Soffe, sir. those muted vintage tones are just... glorious.

Ah, thanking you chief, that's very nice of you to say. 'Muted vintage tones' are precisely what I was going for, so I'm very happy to hear you describe them as such. I have to say your colouring is coming on leaps and bounds - that Grant Perkins one is working like a dream (and I'm not just saying that cos it's your birthday).

mygrimmbrother

And thanks Locust & Terrapin too, most kind  :)

mygrimmbrother

Anyone else got any colouring samples to show? Would love to see some more  :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Emperor on 17 May, 2012, 04:21:20 AM

So much for that idea.

I can split it off again, I am just after the merging/splitting Nectar points I get...

I wouldn't mind - ! My intention was a "show us your colouring" rather than "let's generally talk about colouring" I was going to call it "Does my colouring look big in this?" But that DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AT ALL.