Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illyana

Thank you all for your feedback! And for helping me win a debate with my husband! I'll love you forever for that...

It's Wednesday, so that means NEW EPISODE!

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/4/6/ep-8-the-great-game-part-2

Grab a glass of your special beverage of choice, and help us toast the end of this series-defining story arc.

Illyana

It's Wednesday and that means a new episode of The Great Dante Readthrough! The next two episodes were taped while Simon and I were recovering from our second vaccine shot (I had it particularly bad) so we're a little spicier here  ::)

We also award some no-prizes in this episode, so be sure to tune in!

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/4/14/ep-9-the-octobriana-seduction

[imghttps://static1.squarespace.com/static/517c5a82e4b01510f831c91c/t/6076f448e0779635ef7b08a5/1618408538366/BigBanner-Ep9.jpg[/img]

Illyana

And if I'd posted the image properly, it would look like this:

Quote from: Illyana on 14 April, 2021, 03:07:53 PM
It's Wednesday and that means a new episode of The Great Dante Readthrough! The next two episodes were taped while Simon and I were recovering from our second vaccine shot (I had it particularly bad) so we're a little spicier here  ::)

We also award some no-prizes in this episode, so be sure to tune in!

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/4/14/ep-9-the-octobriana-seduction

[imghttps://static1.squarespace.com/static/517c5a82e4b01510f831c91c/t/6076f448e0779635ef7b08a5/1618408538366/BigBanner-Ep9.jpg[/img]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Illyana on 06 April, 2021, 10:27:36 PM
Hey y'all. Looking for some feedback on a sound issue I'm hearing but Simon isn't. If you listen to this podcast on your phone, using headphones, do you (like me) turn down the volume on the opening so it's not too loud? Then, when Simon comes on shortly after to read you the prog numbers & we start chatting, you find you have to turn the volume all the way back up to hear us comfortably?

Let me know. Thanks!

Only listened to one and a half eps so far, but my issue is more with the difference in volume between the two of you. I can either understand Simon and have my earballs blasted by Edie, or I can comfortably listen to Edie and most of Simon's comments are lost to the traffic noise.

Thoroughly enjoying what I've heard so far though!

Illyana

Hey there! We've hopefully fixed some of the sounds issues in this most recent episode. Let us know.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 April, 2021, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: Illyana on 06 April, 2021, 10:27:36 PM
Hey y'all. Looking for some feedback on a sound issue I'm hearing but Simon isn't. If you listen to this podcast on your phone, using headphones, do you (like me) turn down the volume on the opening so it's not too loud? Then, when Simon comes on shortly after to read you the prog numbers & we start chatting, you find you have to turn the volume all the way back up to hear us comfortably?

Let me know. Thanks!

Only listened to one and a half eps so far, but my issue is more with the difference in volume between the two of you. I can either understand Simon and have my earballs blasted by Edie, or I can comfortably listen to Edie and most of Simon's comments are lost to the traffic noise.

Thoroughly enjoying what I've heard so far though!

sheridan

Quote from: Illyana on 14 April, 2021, 03:53:44 PM
Hey there! We've hopefully fixed some of the sounds issues in this most recent episode. Let us know.

In the grand tradition of podcasts the first few episodes will usually by beset by technical difficulties while the people producing learn to use the equipment and figure out what works and what doesn't.  I don't think there's a long-running podcast (or youtube channel) which doesn't fit this pattern.

Funt Solo

Talking of production difficulties: WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM!!

...said a villain to Dante once, probably*.

*pathetic attempt to remain remotely on topic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Can somebody please insert the missing "d" into this topic title? It's chaffing against my pedantry circuit...

+++Bolt note -- Done. I was wondering what was wrong with that title for weeks+++

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em down...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Just catching up on a couple of weeks worth of these. Such a good listen and always a joy to reread Dante, and to get Edie and Simon's thoughts to highlight things I'd not paid special attention to before. I've often thought Eloise dying was a terrible shame: she is a established as very cool character in a very short time, she's visually striking, and she's a complete badass. One thing that never sat quite right with me about the series overall was how he has a couple of lady loves (as opposed to all his flings) who tragically but conviently die, get a bit of mourning but essentially leave Dante a free run at Jena at the end. I'd totally have read a comic about Eloise and Lauren, having dropped Dante going off having adventures together, being swashbuckling and occasionally making disparaging comments about 'Dikolai'

But yeah, the Great Game is just immense - Dante and Jena really are their best selves to date in this. I'm struck by just how much sheer story happens in ten episodes: it's an absolute blast from start to finish, and it looks brilliant. Like a couple of guys here I own a page of the story and I'm dead proud that I do. The Octobriana character stuff I had literally no idea about previously, so i've learned something too. Plus always good to hear references to Dune and Batroc the Leaper. And there are shoutouts to a couple of members of this board, plus a legit noprize!

My favourite newly noticed thing, even more so than all the phallic bits, is spotting Valentine mugging off in the background whilst Kvass is making his speech in the final part. What a derpy git.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Bolt - my pedantry circuit is now operating property.

(Go for it, F.S.!)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Really late the party - only discovered this thread today, but it's great and great timing as I have been meaning to pick up the Dante re-read I started a couple of years back and have just bought the complete set of trades in the half price digital sale. Given that, I have decided to go all the way back to the beginning again.

Bad Andy

Ha. Just catching up with episode 9 to find out I've won a no-prize! Go me.

Given I haven't read the whole epic yet (think I got to the start of the pirate arc) I hope I haven't spoilered myself!