Main Menu

The 13th Doctor

Started by Link Prime, 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

I'm still going with Kris Marshall. I don't think he was that well suited to Death in Paradise but I think he would be a very good choice as the Doctor.

The BBC wont take a massive risk with casting the Doctor in light of the ratings falling under Moffet and Capaldi. Hopefully Chibnall will provide a bit more substance to things than Moffet who was really just about style and making things twisty and turny but not actually making any sense.

I'm guessing BBC have lost a massive part of their audience with the Top Gear change and they wont want to lose more with Doctor Who.

JLC

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 03 March, 2017, 05:10:03 PM
I'm still going with Kris Marshall. I don't think he was that well suited to Death in Paradise but I think he would be a very good choice as the Doctor.

The BBC wont take a massive risk with casting the Doctor in light of the ratings falling under Moffet and Capaldi. Hopefully Chibnall will provide a bit more substance to things than Moffet who was really just about style and making things twisty and turny but not actually making any sense.

I'm guessing BBC have lost a massive part of their audience with the Top Gear change and they wont want to lose more with Doctor Who.
Unfortunately I think you are right in that Kris Marshall will be given the role, he suits the formula now. So for me, well I'll just wait until its all over then binge watch it on iPlayer. As for the ratings, have they really been that bad? The Christmas episode did particularly well in the USA I think.

Anyway, I'm not a Moffat basher, I think the Matt Smith era has been my favourite so far of Nu Who but I think he's stayed on a bit too long & is now recycling ideas/themes with diminishing quality. Its definitely time for a new show runner, I just hope we move forward rather than relying too much on tried & tested ideas from the past.

Whatever happens please lets not have a self-indulgent farewell like we got with the end of Tennant & RTD! The Doctor crying boo hoo! AWFUL!

IndigoPrime

The showrunner isn't so much the problem as the showrunner having too much power. Doctor Who needs – and this has been the case since it returned – a bloody good script editor with a ton of clout. That's the case with a lot of shows these days (such as Lucifer, which makes no bloody sense in terms of the interaction of its characters), and Doctor Who is sadly no exception.

Tony Angelino

I think Stephen Moffett has ruined the show almost beyond redemption (that may be a slight exaggeration).

You're right though about a script editor. There should have been someone there to tell him that maybe that scene with the guitar on a tank isn't that great, that half your viewers don't have a clue what's going on in any of your stories or that River Song really isn't that popular.

Andy B

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 March, 2017, 05:37:39 PM
Doctor Who needs – and this has been the case since it returned – a bloody good script editor

Wonder if Terrance Dicks would be interested in topping up his pension?

Next Doctor: with Penny Dreadful finished, there's no excuse for not casting Eva Green.

Dandontdare

I really hope it's not Kris Marshall - he's a decent enough actor, but it would take some genius writing to make him interesting or memorable as the doctor.

I've never had a problem with a black or asian actor - skin colour should be no more relevant than hair colour. A gender swap would be more of a stretch, but they've established "in-universe" that it can happen with the Master. I'm still not sure though.

Someone mentioned Tilda Swinton - I very much doubt that she'd do it, but I'd be behind her 100% if she did, she's got that androgynous weirdness down perfectly  (she was the only good thing in that awful Constantine movie)

Goaty

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 March, 2017, 08:33:28 PM
A gender swap would be more of a stretch, but they've established "in-universe" that it can happen with the Master.

Aware as I am of the Master's transition was she was pre-Delgado or post?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 04 March, 2017, 01:09:41 AM
A gender swap would be more of a stretch, but they've established "in-universe" that it can happen with the Master.

Very much post. "Missy" is the latest incarnation of The Master, though it's somewhat ambiguous if she succeeds the John Simm or Alex McQueen incarnations, now the audio dramas are canon.

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 March, 2017, 10:13:55 AM

Very much post. "Missy" is the latest incarnation of The Master, though it's somewhat ambiguous if she succeeds the John Simm or Alex McQueen incarnations, now the audio dramas are canon.

I didn't think canon existed in Doctor Who (partially due to all of the non-BBC trademarked bits that have popped up over the half century) - what is and isn't canon now?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 04 March, 2017, 04:47:01 PM

I didn't think canon existed in Doctor Who (partially due to all of the non-BBC trademarked bits that have popped up over the half century) - what is and isn't canon now?
The TV series, '95 TV movie, and  Big Finish Audio Dramas.

Books, stage plays, and comics are all very much "as you wish".

JLC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 March, 2017, 04:53:21 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 04 March, 2017, 04:47:01 PM

The TV series, '95 TV movie, and  Big Finish Audio Dramas.

Books, stage plays, and comics are all very much "as you wish".
Yes, loved that moment in Night of the Doctor when some of the Big Finish companions got name checked.

The Legendary Shark

I want it to be Karl Urban - but only because it would mean he could write "Who Bones Dredd" on his c.v...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JLC

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 March, 2017, 05:22:36 AM
I want it to be Karl Urban - but only because it would mean he could write "Who Bones Dredd" on his c.v...
Oh dear...

TordelBack

I refuse to encourage this behaviour by reacting. Stoic silence is my resistance.