Main Menu

Elite could be returning to a PC near you.

Started by Albion, 06 November, 2012, 07:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheechFU

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 16 June, 2015, 10:02:26 AM
I probably wouldn't be able to figure out the levers!

This has gone early access on Xbox One now - https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Elite-Dangerous-Game-Preview/5d1a6afe-0a59-4121-b23d-aefa0915c90c

Early access isn't something I've ever been fussed about and have no interest at all in playing a game before it's finished (do enough of that as it is!) but the fact they're selling it at a discounted rate for people who buy it early access means it'd be silly not to really. Reckon I'll make the purchase and then sit on it until full release!
That's cheaper than the steam sale but I guess console owners will have to continue to pay their Live and Plus subscriptions if they want to play it.
I really love Elite but I still wouldn't pay 25 quid for Dangerous or any game that requires a connection to the internet unless the dev has a solid exit strategy that doesn't leave unplayable junk in my library.

ThryllSeekyr

I wish I had room for one of these...

And the money... but may be in a few months when I can spare about a thousand dollars or so. Although, I'm bit reluctant about sitting inside one of those things for hours on end playing not only Elite-Dangerous, but any game.

Just have look at it here....

I must have accessory for the Elite fan-boy, but do I really need this?

I don't think I have the room for that, yet maybe this....

It's just the next thing down, the innards and at only roughly a third of the price.

ThryllSeekyr

Seriously, I ever feel the need to get one of those Gaming-Cabinents, I may look for local tradesmen who would do that for me and customise it to my own person needs and wants. Yet, who wants to sit thing....really, it's like your training to be a Dalek.

Just finished another long gaming session after finally freeing up more hard-drive space to get a video of most of it....at least. Yeah, I used up all the HD space after a few hours and in that time I had made at least another 100,000 credits and blew all of that on one modestly upgraded Eagle with a extra Pulse-Laser with tracking and a better Power-Plant and barely faster enough to escape the local security after leaving the station.

Since the video stoped recording even earlier this morning, I was determined to finishing cleaning up with two contracts that were almost identical in getting rid of any eight pirates. Four each in two separate systems and still made another hundred , thousand credits while never completing those scenarios and brought myself a modestly upgraded Side-Winder. Swapped the standard Pulse-Lasers for two Burst-Lasers both with tracking as getting more efficient [b[Thrusters[/b] and Power-Distribution and ran out of fuel training to finish one of those Pirate mission with just one or two more of them to shoot down in a nearby system.

This nearby system seemed to be strangely further away than I had originally thought and just ran out fule getting there.......

I know there is no excuse seeing as the fuel scoop is standard fitting on every ship. Yet my reasoning is that unless the fuel scoop is sufficiently upgraded, I'm going to be spending more time hovering my ship within a corona's distance of the nearest star and when I had to do this, I flew too close and now I'm stuck there.

After being dropped from Super-Cruise in the process and not have enough fuel to make anymore jumps.

My only problem here was that it was none almost five o'clock in the morning and I had the feeling of being sent on wild goose chase to find this previous location. Time I had taken enough getting to where I was and too much trouble for me to self-destruct the ship and start the journey again. It's not that I had any expensive cargo. Time was a factor here.

While searching for the Rescue-Beacon on my ship. I discovered that self-repair function that does this at the expense of other ship functions. I think it takes a little from every other ship module to repair module's that no longer work or are badly damaged and just not working properly. So I tried this to se if it would make some fuel from other parts of the ship. :P

Also wondering is this can be used to make Hull repairs, (It was at 45% at that point!) but it never worked, not at all. It failed to make any repairs at all.

The Beacon has since been changed since I last used it and it now looks like I require wing-men to make it possible for me to be rescued this way. I'm not too sure, because all it says is WING or OFF. Its ambiguous...but I saved and exited from the game  for the first time while stuck out in deep space and close to a sun while I left this mostly un-used contraption on.

ThryllSeekyr

Despite this game not being really realistic in many ways, how would you explain your automatic rescue every time you get your ship destroyed, but the need to use beacon or wait for help to come if you just run out fuel.

Their is obvious gap or hole there!

ThryllSeekyr

Been meaning to show this picture I took in the game itself, (Yes, it's my own!) for a while and now it is. the Eagle, my second last purchase and normally wearing the pirate colours, but from the light of sun underneath . We just can't tell.

I will be playing again soon.

Have taken lots of screenies, but can't find them.

ThryllSeekyr

Like the last photo, it's one of many and the only one could find...strange.

Yet, look at those heat-vent opened and glowing with over-use....

Like feral eyes in the night.

Any more light and you might notice it's shaded in the colours of a true bounty-hunter.

ThryllSeekyr

Played this for what must have been four hours earlier this morning in a mostly unproductive game session.

Was given some contract to move some Narcotics and lost about three canisters by mob who wanted me to ship them. This of course, spoiled it and only happened while I left my ship unattended in Super-Cruise for the few minutes it took me to either empty or refill my bladder in real time. When some body scratched enough paint work on my SideWinder to cause the Cargo-Hatch to malfunction longer enough to lose three of those.

So, that would have got me anywhere from 70,000 to 100,000 credits.

Still, I continued to play accepting about five of those contracts where I had to scoop up some sensitive materials that were dropped. Three of those were Black-Box's and the remaining two were Experimental-Chemicals and not all from the same systems.

I only handed two of those, I think and rage quit after I was down by the local authorities while I was trying to complete the rest of those. These would have netted enough credits that might have well and truly made up from screwing up the original Narc-Run.

I also lost the first batch of Black-Box-Experimental-Chemicals while Cargo-Hatched malfunctioned after I overheated the ship while scooping-fuel from the sun and made a mental note to be more careful with that in futures runs. While I was able to pick my dropped canisters straight away in some instances. I completely over looked the accidently jettisoning  and forgot about them until I bothered to look in my hold after I had jumped from what ever part of space I lost in them in and just left the compute to silently scream in the kitchen.  Yet, I had enough time to do find some more of those canisters.

Only after I had solved a problem I was having with my ship's pathetic FDL drive that wouldn't get me out of some extremely uninteresting backwater of systems where I had to search for these canisters. Once my cargo hold had  just two canisters, it appeared to be restricted to just those few systems without a chance of making back to the system where I could hand those in to make the credits. Yet, I found a longer way (The only way...) to get to where I needed, but that's when I lost the canisters and had redo those.

I think the navigation thing that plots a route for you ship to traversed the least amount of systems to reach my destination wasn't working in not in the same way. Sometimes, It wouldn't do this at all, I and had fly blind until I was closer enough. Mostly, this meant that I failed a lot what I thought were the much easier contracts that I had also taken.

Anyway, I only handed one of those specials and between what I made there and the unplanned pirate hunting I did around a Nav-Beacon while I was stranded in those smaller systems where not much else was happening.  I was able to make up to nearly 70,000 credits and upgrade the FDL-Drive and Fuel-Tank enough to seriously improve jumping distance and while laden with a full hold of cargo. It's only got four slots, though. I certainly noticed the difference after having the upgrades fitted and flew right out of there without too much other trouble.

I had also up-graded the Power-Plant (So much so, I didn't have to fly with some of my mostly non-essential Modules switched off ) , Power-Distribution (I have a theory, that if I keep upgrading this one, it might reach a stage where it never needs to be adjusted without adversely effecting the two other power-systems.) and my Life-Support up to fifteen minutes while my canopy is leaking air. I also brought the Tactical-Paint-Sets fro every ship I own on earlier occasions (Perhaps, I already said this above.) and finally for the Side-Winder and ended up with the dark shade of graphite . Thinking that anything that eats my ship now will get lead poisoning. I also decided to swap out the skull decals fro my Founder-Badge. I am a Founder after all, and evenly noticed that I could take a contract specifically for Founders only because of this.

I'm thinking of suggesting to the developers (Frontier-Developer) that decal and maybe even paint jobs should rely some Nano-Colour-Paint-Parts tech that I only have ben thinking about that allows you swap between those without doing so in outfitting. Especially, pirate  colours like I have seen in some many films about pirates when they let fly the Jolly Rodger. It's kind feels gimped I can only do once I have landed. So, I felt it needs the Nano-Tech to pull this off. or maybe Holo-Graphic-Decals. How about that?

Yet, being stuck in ship wearing the pirate-colours until I decide to swap them over next time I dock, feels kind of gimped to me.   

Which reminds me of another thing....in Star-Citizen. They have a line of official-pirate ships in that game. This kind of silly to me, because pirates have never been known to officially mass produce their boats. unless, I missing some other point here.  Otherwise, they just borrow or steal Empirical or Navy- Frigates and Merchant vessels and this works as a false front for them until fly their skull-n-bones flag.

I think that was it and no pictures because all the ones I have taken last session have mysteriously disappeared into the Twilight-Zone. Either that I haven't figures out the correct button for taking screen-shots. 

Is it Alt + F10 or F11 or not?

ThryllSeekyr

My second last game session of this last night until early morning was huge improvement over many previous games since I made about at least 500,000 credits all up, possibly more and ended the game  with about 450,000 credits (At a rough guess!) in a system close to where my named station is.

This was because of the upgraded I made to my Side-Winder improving everything that could be improved and swapping out my cargo space for a Frame-Shift-Indictor where I could then hunt for pirates after been given two contracts that netted me about 136, 000 (At a guess!) a piece and that was twice. Although there was another one that would have got me about 500, 000 at least if I shot down 10 pirates rather than the other two where I only had shoot four and then seven. Although, I shot down ten pirates eventually, it was never in time  and that contract was a failure.

Fortunately, that four pirate contract one that had me hunting them in the exact same system, also count four of those pirates toward that goal and I was able to hand in that one, as well as the seven pirate bounty
instead.

This session was still sweet.....so, I'm so happy about that.

BTW, I forgot to mention I did swap out both Tracking-Burst-Lasers for a Missile-Rack and a Tracking-Beam-Laser. Replacing the missiles for about 6000 credits altogether is not going to be a problem  if I keep getting contracts that pay as well as they were above. Except it took me a while to realise that little targeting circle needs to be as close to the fixed rectical in the natural centre of the ship display to have any chance of scoring a hit with them. They are not have as reliable as the ones from Classic-Elite.

This doesn't always seem to work as my prey often flies closer while the missile flies past it harmlessly and I only scored missile hits on the larger ships that moved much slower. 

In my very last game session which I am still in the middle of........I discovered how almost useless the Wake-Scanner's are when they only track the wake to the next system they escaped to and no further. perhaps  need to be quicker, but this happened twice and the first time I lost 82,000 credit bounty on ship I had almost took down.

Back to it.....

More pictures later, if I can find them!

ThryllSeekyr

BTW.....

Found stations /outposts named Woolley and Renny and another called Noreiga. Don't remember their exact system thought.

There is also George Lucas and that fellow who who had something to do with original and new Alien film's.

ThryllSeekyr

Here's another picture I found in my folder and it was one of many I thought I took....

I had last changed my colours to the lighter Ignition shade of colour and sign even though it feels a little juvenile.

My last game session was almost as good as the one above, except for huge loss where I lost my ship and about 150, 000 credits of bounty that I was yet to be paid. Yet, this is lost
with the ship and never relinguished with the replacement :(

I ended ending the game with roughly 300, 000 credits and this was how I started. I had also swapped the Missile Launcher for a another Tracking -Beam-Laser equal to the other one I have and the Mirrored Armour because hardly any other ships using kinetic weaponry.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 20 July, 2015, 01:31:15 PM

There is also George Lucas and that fellow who who had something to do with original and new Alien film's.

I now remember Ridley Scott.

ThryllSeekyr

ThryllSeekyr

Make that Elite Dangerous - Horizons (Watch out it's a Double-Link!)

Not so sure about trying to sell this using the that trailer and then this buggy flying out of the cargo hold like it was going to make up for the Slo-Mo walking to get into the ship in the first place..

This also reminds me of the Argo - ST Nemesis scene from that Star Trek. Not one of favourites, but a scene to be remembered.

Did Frontier Developments think a bit more Star Trek (As I see it!) in their universe is going to keep their fan base interested. I'd prefer that ED's popularity to rise on it's own merits.

I was more impressed with this Star-Citizen Trailer

Even though they almost do the same thing, yet I guess using vechile to explore some alien terrain is the best decision.

Here's a flow chart of how what you get if you order this now, or already have it from purchasing the Alpha test.

ThryllSeekyr

My first live stream of this game. If only I knew it was this easy much earlier. Way earlier!!!

BTW even though it's very poor quality for a video and even at HD format.

There was this moment, a few moments where I had dropped to Weak-Signal-Zone to see if there was the designated illicit cargo I was meant to find there. There was and then there other appeared out of no where.

As usual!

Yet, I still lined up with the illegal cargo cannister floating in front of me. I was almost there and already taking a beating from my uninvited guests when one of the just flew across my flight path collecting my intended cargo with it. With as much speed and grace as the next generation Eagle and Viper that hasn't been designed yet. Yet, it was either a Anaconda or Python judging from it size.

Then they proceeded to boil my Cobra into oblivion before I could get away in time.

I was initially down about tis and the fact that I didn't think I had it on video, but my live stream which was done via You-tube. Which means it got uploaded as well. With out taking up any room on my hard drive.

Gone are the days when I juggling files from drive to drive in a desperate attempt clear more space. Once I have brought another external hard drive, four or five of which I have already filled with videos not yet uploaded to You-Tube. I will be rid of this curse that be severely limiting my game play for the past year.

You may think I'm nuts to want to document my games this way, but with Elite Dangerous I did make solem declaration in private to document everyone of my game sessions until I reach the highest rank in each of three aspects of play and my pilgrimage to Sol/Earth.

Again, about that larger ship flying in front me to get what I was after and succeed in it. I though it might be more than another player. I thought it takes some serious some A.I. to pull off the stunt in such a large ship and yet, it's also true I don't get a lot of players in my end of the ED galaxy.

Look for it in the video if you care to watch and true not to laugh at my homelienss, and the silly clown make up you see superimposed over the top half of my face towards the end of the it.

ThryllSeekyr

Horizons has now is now up and I'm installing the Beta right now.