Main Menu

WTF! - "Punisher" Cut To A PG-13

Started by Goaty, 15 August, 2008, 10:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

As featured in Darkhorizons.com

"She may have been (allegedly) kicked off the project but considering what they're doing to her baby, one doubts director Lexi Alexander would want back on.

Not content with being situated as the sole wide release on the worst filmgoing weekend of the year (the post-Thanksgiving weekend), Latino Review reports that Lionsgate has decided to edit their upcoming "Punisher: War Zone" film down from a hardcore R-rating to a PG-13.

Why is it happening? The likely answer is "The Dark Knight" which managed a PG-13 despite its super dark and intense scenes. But whereas Batman has all sorts of psychological angles and a superb script backing it up, "Punisher" has no such quality filmmaking pedigree and thus is very reliant on the hardcore bloody stylings of the violence, as demonstrated in a super-violent clip screened in San Diego last month."

here the trailer red-band of Punisher: War Zone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIWQpeU5-c

Proudhuff

''Batman has all sorts of psychological angles and a superb script''' I think not: silly voices, mumbled lines, grungy vison,  seventies haircuts  and cop-out cod psychology for valley girls,does not a classic make.
Who knows The Punisher might be a step up, it couldn't be worse, could it?
DDT did a job on me

TheEdge

PG-13 Punisher quotes

"Those who do evil to others - the shoplifters, the jaywalkers, tresspassers, bullys - you will come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me... The Punisher"

"You are one dumb poopy pants. Bringing a Spoon to a Waterpistol fight"

" I made you kiss your wife. Now I've kissed you."
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Peter Wolf

Maybe i am being old fashioned and i am also not a parent but i cant see why anyone would take a child to watch a film like that.

The film studio are idiots doing that to this film and not leaving itas an 18.I would want to see the 18 version but i wont be interested in seeing it as a pg 13.So what happens is the film studio ruin the film and please neither the adults or the children or parents of children.This film or the trailer of it makes the last film look tame in comparison.

The film studio could release the adult version later on DVD i guess
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

nxylas

Quote from: "peterwolf"The film studio could release the adult version later on DVD i guess
Oh they will, I'm certain of it.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

TheEdge

I hate siting in a cinema with anything under an 18 rating, because cinemas dont have Ushers anymore, i sat through Wanted the other week with 3 x +15 year old girls Answering and having conversations on their phones, then when we complained the guy just shrugged his shoulders.

I'm still in my twenties and if i had acted like the kids do now in the cinema, we'd have been thrown out.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

nxylas

Quote from: "TheEdge"I hate siting in a cinema with anything under an 18 rating, because cinemas dont have Ushers anymore.
Trouble is, the fact that cinemas don't have ushers any more makes an 18 rating irrelevant. Many's the time I've seen an 18 film in a multiplex (when I still lived in Britain) with a bunch of snot-nosed kids who bought tickets to the Disney film playing next door. It's even worse here in the States, as the R rating just means that kids under 17 have to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. There is an NC-17 rating, but it is rarely applied, as it is considered commercial suicide.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "nxylas"
Quote from: "peterwolf"The film studio could release the adult version later on DVD i guess
Oh they will, I'm certain of it.

Well i look forward to that then and await the full headexploding 18 certificate glorification of violence and excessive force then !!!

I only ever watch films at the cinema very sparingly for films like cloverfield otherwise i wait for the DVD release anyway.

Pete Wells

I fucking HATE teenagers at cinemas! Last week (obviously in a moment of madness) we went to see the Love Guru and the two girls sat next to us did the whole phone thing as well. I couldn't beleive it, the ignorant little twats were constantly talking at normal volume and sharing texts. How ignorant do you have to be to sit next to people in a cinema then fucking talk all the way through!?! Eventually my Michelle hissed at them to shut the fuck up which then made the rest of the experience really awkward and believe me, the experience of sitting through The Love Guru is awkward enough!

Similarly, when we went to see Hancock there were two groups for teens taking turns in shouting completely inane shite out. Such comedy gems included "It's Bob Marley!" when a black guy was on screen and "It's one month later!" when the words "One month later" came on screen. At what point is this funny?

Thankfully our cinema has a VIP box which shields you from all this shite so it's very rare that I find myself sitting with these wankers but honestly, when I am it scares me how angry I become. One day, I'm gonna snap!!!

JamesC

I love going to the cinema. If there are people talking I just tell them to shut up and they usually do.
There's a great cinema near my house which is pretty much run by old ladies. Sometimes they still have an intermission and come out with a tray of ice-creams. When my mate and I went to see Speed Racer we were the only ones there and enjoyed it with a flask of tea and a Curly Wurly.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Pete Wells"I fucking HATE teenagers at cinemas! Last week (obviously in a moment of madness) we went to see the Love Guru and the two girls sat next to us did the whole phone thing as well. I couldn't beleive it, the ignorant little twats were constantly talking at normal volume and sharing texts. How ignorant do you have to be to sit next to people in a cinema then fucking talk all the way through!?! Eventually my Michelle hissed at them to shut the fuck up which then made the rest of the experience really awkward and believe me, the experience of sitting through The Love Guru is awkward enough!

Similarly, when we went to see Hancock there were two groups for teens taking turns in shouting completely inane shite out. Such comedy gems included "It's Bob Marley!" when a black guy was on screen and "It's one month later!" when the words "One month later" came on screen. At what point is this funny?

Thankfully our cinema has a VIP box which shields you from all this shite so it's very rare that I find myself sitting with these wankers but honestly, when I am it scares me how angry I become. One day, I'm gonna snap!!!

GGGGGGRRRRRR   Teenagers.I have lost it with them before now.This can happen in any confined space if you are in it with them.Trains are another one.

"If you dont STFU with that mobile i am going to take it off you.."

"SHUT UP !!!!"

They always do as well.

Teenagers should have their own screenings.I am all for segregation.

Keef Monkey

The Cineworld near my brother's flat in Edinburgh apparently have adult only screenings of most things. The sad truth is though, there are plenty of people over 18 who are every bit as stupid and inconsiderate as kids. Last time it happened to me was at "The Mist". It was the usual gaggle of girls nattering non-stop right from the first frame and after about 20 minutes I asked them to stop talking. The girl looked genuinely sorry and surprised she was even doing it, so I get the impression a lot of these cinema nuisances are just too dumb to realize they're being a problem.

Anyway, Punisher-wise that's terrible news. I thought the worst when Tom Jane jumped ship, mainly because I knew he had a good handle on the comics and really wanted to make something dark and gritty, but I got over that after really liking the look of the trailer. I know these people are thinking from a business point of view, but only an idiot would think it makes good business sense to neuter a film until the actual intended audience lose interest. All they're going to get is a box office turkey for their trouble when the film doesn't appeal to either demographic, when sticking true to the source would at least ensure the fans turned up and gave them a modest adult hit. I despair for their logic.

I hadn't heard any of this stuff about Lexi Alexander being booted off, anyone got any more info about that?

the shutdown man

Apparently the PG-13 bullet has been dodged:

//http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37965

To be honest, I don't quite get the Tom Jane love regarding the Punisher. I think he's a good actor, and the first film is a bit of fun, (but not great), but Jane never really struck me as badass or gritty enough. He just seemed to be trying too hard. This new guy, I've never seen him in anything so I can't comment on his acting ability, but I reckon he's got more of a menacing air as the Punisher then Jane did.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: "the shutdown man"Apparently the PG-13 bullet has been dodged:

//http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37965

To be honest, I don't quite get the Tom Jane love regarding the Punisher. I think he's a good actor, and the first film is a bit of fun, (but not great), but Jane never really struck me as badass or gritty enough. He just seemed to be trying too hard. This new guy, I've never seen him in anything so I can't comment on his acting ability, but I reckon he's got more of a menacing air as the Punisher then Jane did.

The more I see of the new guy the better I feel about it. I just liked the fact that Tom Jane talked a really good fight in terms of being a comic fan himself so I felt like him quitting was a sign that things were looking bad. This new guy definitely looks the part though, he's got that older more grizzled Castle look about him, its uncanny at times. Having seen "Outpost" I know he can fire a gun and look tough at the same time so looks like he's perfect for the role.

nxylas

Quote from: "Pete Wells"I fucking HATE teenagers at cinemas! Similarly, when we went to see Hancock there were two groups for teens taking turns in shouting completely inane shite out. Such comedy gems included "It's Bob Marley!" when a black guy was on screen and "It's one month later!" when the words "One month later" came on screen. At what point is this funny?
This is going back a while, but it reminds me of the time I went to see Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves on its original cinema release. There was a gaggle of teenage girls sat behind me who found everything that the characters said or did absolutely hilarious. When a snatch of the intro to Everything I Do played on the soundtrack, they absolutely screeched with laughter. All criticisms of both the film and the song aside, I don't see anything inherently hysterical about motifs from the song which plays over a movie's end credits being used in that film's incidental music. I guess I must be missing something.