Main Menu

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Started by Mike Carroll, 29 April, 2009, 12:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Most of the people in the theatre I went stayed around for the post credits, and we were rewarded with [spoiler:1qmejj96]Logan sitting in a bar. w00t.[/spoiler:1qmejj96]
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

the shutdown man

Quote from: "Godpleton"Most of the people in the theatre I went stayed around for the post credits, and we were rewarded with [spoiler:64gvrzb4]Logan sitting in a bar. w00t.[/spoiler:64gvrzb4]

Yeah, that's what I saw too, thrilling stuff. But I've read that in America the clip is [spoiler:64gvrzb4]Deadpool picking up his severed head from the reactor, and then looking at the camera and saying something along the lines of "What you looking at?" Which, while silly, is a bit cooler.[/spoiler:64gvrzb4]
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

SmallBlueThing

Without getting into an argument here about "what responsible parents should expose their kids to"- that's my business, y'see- can I just ask

Is there any swearing?
Any nudity?
Any explicit gore, or knife-play (aside from Wolvie's claws, obv)?

My six year old is jumping up and down to see this, and I was going to take him in the next day or so- he loved the previous X-Men films, all the Spideys, Incredible Hulk and the FF films- but hasn't yet been allowed to watch Iron Man or Daredevil.

And there's no way I'm letting him watch The Dark Knight- not because of the content, but because I fucking hate Batman.

So, I'm asking the sane people here, so I don't have to knock across to capalert.com and suffer the madness of Fundamentalist film reviews, funny though they undoubtedly are.

Steev

the shutdown man

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"Is there any swearing?
Any nudity?

In order...

Mild.
Only Hugh Jackman.
Despite the claws, bullets and admittedly awesome swordplay, I don't think a single drop of blood is actually seen.

Proudhuff

Quote from: "the shutdown man"Only Hugh Jackman.  

ah, now I see why the Huffpartner was happy to join Minihuff and I when this was suggested as a family night oot  :roll:
DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "the shutdown man"In order...

Mild.
Only Hugh Jackman.
Despite the claws, bullets and admittedly awesome swordplay, I don't think a single drop of blood is actually seen.

Many thanks! I shall take him post-haste! (Unless your idea of mild swearing rhymes with "cluck you, you munting niss-stained kanker! Bunts like you deserve to be mucked up the grass by my mutant sock!" or similar.

Steev

Roger Godpleton

the shutdown man

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"Many thanks! I shall take him post-haste! (Unless your idea of mild swearing rhymes with "cluck you, you munting niss-stained kanker! Bunts like you deserve to be mucked up the grass by my mutant sock!" or similar.

Steev

Heh, as high as my tolerance for swearing is, no, that would still not be considered mild. (Bunt is never mild, and God help you if you say it front of your mother  :shock:  )

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat""cluck you, you munting niss-stained kanker! Bunts like you deserve to be mucked up the grass by my mutant sock!"

Been watching old 'Allo 'Allo repeats Steev?
@jamesfeistdraws

WoD

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"Without getting into an argument here about "what responsible parents should expose their kids to"- that's my business, y'see- can I just ask

Is there any swearing?
Any nudity?

My six year old is jumping up and down to see this, and I was going to take him in the next day or so- he loved the previous X-Men films, all the Spideys, Incredible Hulk and the FF films- but hasn't yet been allowed to watch Iron Man or Daredevil.

And there's no way I'm letting him watch The Dark Knight- not because of the content, but because I fucking hate Batman.

So, I'm asking the sane people here, so I don't have to knock across to capalert.com and suffer the madness of Fundamentalist film reviews, funny though they undoubtedly are.

Steev

I've let my boy (6 1/2 years old) watch all the above with the exception of Dark Kinght (way too rough) and Daredevil (cause it's crap).  I think I'll probably wait for the DVD release of this and then see if I'll let him watch it after I've seen it.

TheEdge

I wanna know ONE THING

Is ryan reynolds funny in this cos when he's good the movies worth seeing no matter how bad it is
IE WAITING and BLADE 3 as examples
and when he's bad the movies  efffing awful.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

the shutdown man

He is pretty funny, but again, he's only in it for about five minutes.  He does get an awesome sword scene though.

Roger Godpleton

Reynolds does actually play the part of a killerand doesn't just fall back on clowning around.

the shutdown man

Well, it had to happen. They've already announced the sequel/ mid-prequel/whatever the hell.

//http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24713

Dandontdare

saw this at the weekend, and enjoyed it a great deal. I was hoping for the full story of his childhood (I thought we'd get the whole "origins" storyline) and then the story of his life through the various wars, but this was all whizzed through over the opening credits - Shame it was so brief, but it was a well-done montage, really effective.

Things that were cool:
1. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]Fred Dukes/The Blob - always been one of my favourite X-characters and well portrayed here[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
2. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]Cyclops's eye-beams ripping through the school[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
3. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]Deadpool's eyebeams wrecking the cooling tower as his head spins down.[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
4. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]Emma (presumably) Frost's  diamond-skin effect.[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
5. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]Gambit - the character was spot-on and powers looked good[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
6. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]the way wolverine and sabretooth bound along on all fours like animals (eg the D-day scene) Nice touch[/spoiler:2m3fmg11].

Things that were not cool:
1.[spoiler:2m3fmg11]The generally implausible plot[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
2. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]the soppy girlfriend - naff in all respects - clichéd before she was fake, unbelievable after she was fake, her powers, the daft wolverine/moon story and the cheesy death scene. A walking Narrative Device rather than a character.[/spoiler:2m3fmg11]
3. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]After the helicopter crashed, the convenient channel of petrol that allowed him to scrape his claws and cause a ridiculously big and silly explosion[/spoiler:2m3fmg11].
4. [spoiler:2m3fmg11]Prof X's badly CGI'd 'young' face - didn't make him look young, just plastic[/spoiler:2m3fmg11].

Interestingly, looking over those 2 lists, it's the big things - plot and characterisation - that were bad, whilst what I enjoyed was the effects - seeing familiar characters and how their powers were done on screen. I think that says it all about modern superhero movies! As for the jumping out of a plane scene, I was waiting for this to be naff following previous comments but it didn't seem silly to me - I just assumed this is what happens if you jump out of a plane that's flying fast and low over water - you don't land with a splash, you skim!