Main Menu

Aces Weekly from David Lloyd

Started by Emperor, 06 August, 2012, 03:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Hmm. I completely forgot about this after issue three, which shows how much it grabbed me. I guess I'll check out volume two, though, since I imagine my money's gone by now.

Cactus

I subbed last week so was able to read the whole of volume 1 in a single day, and I really enjoyed it. Return of the Human gripped me a lot more than I thought it would. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Lance McCoy and his world, and I'm very keen to read more of Progenitor.

There is a facility now to read all episodes of a series. In the bottom left of the screen you can select which episode to jump to.

I've just read the first issue of volume 2 and it's a good mix. I think Legion Zero and Catalyst Island will be the ones to watch, and I hope Santa Claus vs the Nazis lives up to the promise of its title. The two cat-related strips are intriguing and The Kept Woman already feels like a sinister J-horror film. I'm not sure if I like that, but unsettling is clearly the intended effect so it's doing its job well. Only three pages was frustrating though.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Cactus

I found this in my inbox and thought it might be of interest.

QuotePlease tell anyone you know who'd like to join this club of ours that if they begin an ongoing subscription BEFORE 8th April, they can obtain the just-completed Volume Three and the soon-to-arrive Volume Four for the price of just one volume!  That's up to 420 pages from some of the finest talent from around the globe for just $9.99, £6.99 or 7.99 Euros - a bargain in anybody's book!

Aces Weekly is much more of a mixed bag than 2000ad, but 3 out of 6 are usually a hit for me so I'll continue subbing.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Bolt-01

Out of curiosity, how many here are still reading ACES? There is a new strip starting soon that I've done the letters for, in case anyone was interested...

Aces Weekly

CrazyFoxMachine

I'm still readin' - well done Bolt can't wait to see that :D

The Prodigal

Guys I am considering my first digital experience. Any recommendations or otherwise on Aces?

Bolt-01

Aces is pretty good- it's a mixed bag quality wise, as there is a relaxed editorial attitude in my opinion. So far there has always been something about each weeks strips I've really liked, but also there are plenty of things that niggle the funt out of me.

Cost wise it is a 6.99 (gbp) paypal swipe every couple of months. Not a massive cost, especially once you realise how many pages of content you get for it.

I tihnk you can sign up just for a single volume initally and test the waters. The problem with that is that this feels much more like the 90's 'Toxic' than 2000 AD. My personal fave strip they have run is the serial 'Santa Claus Vs the Nazis'- that is a cracking strip.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 July, 2013, 09:29:52 AM
Aces is pretty good- it's a mixed bag quality wise, as there is a relaxed editorial attitude in my opinion. So far there has always been something about each weeks strips I've really liked, but also there are plenty of things that niggle the funt out of me.

Cost wise it is a 6.99 (gbp) paypal swipe every couple of months. Not a massive cost, especially once you realise how many pages of content you get for it.

I tihnk you can sign up just for a single volume initally and test the waters. The problem with that is that this feels much more like the 90's 'Toxic' than 2000 AD. My personal fave strip they have run is the serial 'Santa Claus Vs the Nazis'- that is a cracking strip.

Thanks Bolt. I appreciate the advice.

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah I agree 100 percent with Bolt. There is some real good stuff in there but some really foul stuff as well - currently reading a story that has worst lettering I've ever seen (Comic Sans MS and all) but Santa Claus v The Nazis is brilliant as are a lot of the "one shots". Nice to see Gavin Mitchell (who won the Tharg portfolio thought bubble awards thing in 2011) doing brilliantly.

Bolt-01

Today I've begun catching up with my sub for ACES, and to my surprise there are quite a few familiar names in there: Chris Geary (FQ, Zarjaz) and a real surprise for me; Manoel Magalhaes (He drew a strip for me in FQ07, WAAY back in the day) with a cracking little SF strip.

Also back is Santa Claus Vs the Nazis. A brilliant little strip by Ben Dickson and Gavin Mitchell. Highly recommended.

CrazyFoxMachine

*ahem* ... I'm currently now colouring Santa Claus vs the Nazis - taking over from the brilliant Miroslav Mrva. NO PRESSURE.

My stuff starts in Vol 7 Issue 4 this week - ! :S

maryanddavid

Go CFM! Well done, I just wish they could do a print version.

CrazyFoxMachine

There will be a print version of SCvN .... just not immediately ;)

CrazyFoxMachine

Here's a sample of m'colouring in it just put up by the author - !

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105