Main Menu

Judge Dredd French Case Files Edition

Started by vark, 23 February, 2013, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vark

In a few days volume 3 will be published in French libraries (Soleil Prod, Jean-Luc Istin as editor), and the first volumes will be reprint for the occasion (they were issued in August 2011).
This edition displays exclusive cover by French artist :

Volume 1 by Jean-Luc Istin

Volume 2 by Sébastien Grenier

Volume 3 by Olivier Peru

and the forthcoming volume 4 (no release date yet) by Aleksi Briclot:

And by the way, in France that is how we do spines  ;):

dweezil2

All great and that volume 4 cover is astounding!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

I really like those covers, they remind me of the front of sci-fi paperbacks.  Interesting that they seem less retro than the UK editions, as I think the earliest stuff is really a product of its time and the retro jackets really underlined that for potential buyers. 

Frank

Cheers, Vark. I wish UK artists were still taking those kinds of risks with the design of the uniform and the art style they employ on Dredd. There's definitely something to be said for trying to provide a sense of visual continuity for a strip with a large roster of artists, but there's a tension between that pleasing uniformity and the fantastic variety of Brendan McCarthy's angular Dredd and baroque Megacity One, or Steve Dillon's satisfyingly solid and utilitarian take on the same subjects.

The transition from Will Simpson's painterly approach to the vivid colour and precision of John Higgins's strips might look incongruous in the Case Files, but when read week-by-week and matched to appropriate narratives, those differing styles created the sense that MC1 was a place of infinite variety, where almost any kind of story could be told.

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

sheldipez

These are awesome - brilliant cover art and matching spines, very very nice, shame the Anderson: Psi Files are the same as the UK ones

Mabs

I wish i paid more attention in my French class at school all those years ago....cos i'd love to nab a copy of those progs!  :D. The spines look really cool too.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

vark

I can't wait to have volume 3 in my hands to see if it has the same thickness as the previous volume. I fear not because my Rebellion case files #3 is way more thin than the two first volume.

Spikes

They do look very nice, dont they.

But whats that 'Soleil US comics' thingy mean? Is that just the French publisher?

Colin YNWA

Well I'm going to book the trend. While they are fine pictures in and of themselves they sit oddly for me in the context of the stories I assume are inside. Mind if it draws our continental cousins in who cares what I think.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 February, 2013, 01:51:57 PM
Well I'm going to book the trend. While they are fine pictures in and of themselves they sit oddly for me in the context of the stories I assume are inside. Mind if it draws our continental cousins in who cares what I think.

I know what you mean, but the same was true of the batshit Bill Sienkiewicz covers of the Titan UK Dredd collections. I like the design of the UK Case Files covers too.

vark

Quote from: Judge Jack on 24 February, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

But whats that 'Soleil US comics' thingy mean? Is that just the French publisher?
The Publisher is Soleil (Soleil Productions), and these books are published under their "US comics" line (edited by Jean-Luc Istin). Yeah well, not so US in this case of course ...

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Quote from: vark on 24 February, 2013, 02:11:55 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 24 February, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

The Publisher is Soleil (Soleil Productions), and these books are published under their "US comics" line (edited by Jean-Luc Istin). Yeah well, not so US in this case of course ...

Cheers for that. Yes, thats what kinda puzzled me (the US comics bit), as well.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 24 February, 2013, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 February, 2013, 01:51:57 PM

I know what you mean, but the same was true of the batshit Bill Sienkiewicz covers of the Titan UK Dredd collections. I like the design of the UK Case Files covers too.

I might be just trying to talk myself out of a corner here but those Sienkiewicz covers did capture the batshit crazy imagination of the material under them...

...or I might just be biase cos I love just about every bit of art I have ever seen my Sienkiewicz!