Main Menu

IDW JUDGE DREDD G/N

Started by W. R. Logan, 01 July, 2013, 01:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quite. IDW Dredd's sales figures suggest the company is doing something right for its target market. 2000 AD readers aren't really the target market here. Year One is a bit different—a spin-off of sorts, which can presumably tread a different path.

It's also worth noting that Dredd's never really broken America, regardless of the quality of John Wagner's writing. Perhaps it needs something different to work. But also look at it another way: what if IDW Dredd gets more people to know about the character, who then investigate further, such as with the trades? That can only be a good thing for the long-term survival of the character.

Proudhuff

So we're all okay with Disney's Justice Dept Rugrats: Fresh out of the test tube Joe, Rico, Cassandra and Mandela find the true meaning of family in Otto's Sump Grudmas Grotto
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 July, 2013, 11:41:04 AM
Quite. IDW Dredd's sales figures suggest the company is doing something right for its target market.

Yep. Seems to have settled at a fairly respectable 10K — if a sizeable chunk of those are new to the character, that's all to the good, IMO. Obviously, I'd prefer it if proper-Wagner-Dredd was securing those 10,000 readers, but if the venture proves more successful than previous attempts to export the character to the States, so be it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheldipez on 04 July, 2013, 10:13:24 AM
Matt Smith says in this interview that Year One is within IDW continuity.

I stand corrected  :D
DDT did a job on me

dweezil2

I view IDW's approach as an "elseworlds" take on the character, so as not to offend my sensibilities.
Overall, within in its remitt to appeal to the US market, I've quite enjoyed the series-dispite a dip in quality with #8.
IDW Dredd is an easy, throw-away read and as long as we always have the Prog, I shan't begrudge our American cousins getting easy access to Judge Dredd goodness!
The more Dredd in the world the better and many of the other Dredd spin offs from IDW like City Of Courts and Dredd vs Mars Attacks have me intrigued and, of course, Year One is brilliant!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Recrewt

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 July, 2013, 11:53:28 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 July, 2013, 11:41:04 AM
Quite. IDW Dredd's sales figures suggest the company is doing something right for its target market.

Yep. Seems to have settled at a fairly respectable 10K — if a sizeable chunk of those are new to the character, that's all to the good, IMO. Obviously, I'd prefer it if proper-Wagner-Dredd was securing those 10,000 readers, but if the venture proves more successful than previous attempts to export the character to the States, so be it.

What I think will be interesting is how well the coloured classics series sells as this is a real jumping on point for 'real Dredd' for US fans.

The more I think about it, the more I think IDW have done a really good job with what/how they have released things.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: dweezil2 on 04 July, 2013, 12:36:41 PMThe more Dredd in the world the better and many of the other Dredd spin offs from IDW like City Of Courts and Dredd vs Mars Attacks have me intrigued and, of course, Year One is brilliant!
Quite. That's another way of looking at it—would Year One have even happened if it had not been for IDW?

maryanddavid

QuoteDredd's never really broken America

Not quiet true, The first Eagle series of Dredd sold very well, the first issue, selling over 100k into american comic shops, one of the highest independant comic sales until Image came along. The eagle series settled down to sale of around 40k for the rest of its run. It wasn't distributed in the UK except for the comics shops until issue 15 when it got newsagent distribution in the UK.

David

Bat King

There aren't any huge bloopers in Judge Dredd Year One from the perspective of it contradicting 2000AD continuity. But to me it seemed clear what Matt Smith was doing was showing a divergence little details. I'd have to scour through issues 1 & 2 to her specific and I an not going to do that as it is too spoilerific to do so.

I haven't reviewed the ongoing IDW series because I don't like it much and dint want to be negative about it. I have said several times that it may be my Brit eyes.

I am not the target audience for the ongoing title. Matt's Year One though bridges both audiances I should think.

Something I hope happens is a crossover sometime. Preferably by Matt Smith.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

COMMANDO FORCES

I gotta laugh with all this target audience stuff.

I would've thought that it's not very business savvy if you only want to target one group of readers on the planet! Imagine that being said on Dragons Den!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 July, 2013, 07:33:26 PM

I would've thought that it's not very business savvy if you only want to target one group of readers on the planet! Imagine that being said on Dragons Den!

Indeed. That's why 2000AD is aimed at everyone from 12 year old girls to 97 year old retired surgeons...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 July, 2013, 07:33:26 PMI gotta laugh with all this target audience stuff. I would've thought that it's not very business savvy if you only want to target one group of readers on the planet! Imagine that being said on Dragons Den!
You have to have some focus, or you create a slab of grey that won't appeal to anyone. Also, certain audiences react better to certain types of media. We might share most of a language with the USA, but our cultures are not the same, and so although certain ideas and media will be popular in both places, it often pays to tailor things.

With Dredd, it looks like IDW has made something with a potentially wider audience in mind, and also one not entrenched in Dredd. That's smart. That long-time Dredd fans aren't hugely impressed isn't terribly relevant, if people elsewhere are liking IDW's Dredd and if it's selling well enough.

I, Cosh

All true but, let's be honest, all the "not the target audience" chat on here is a tedious, repetitive euphemism for "it's shit." There's a lot of things I'm not the target audience for which I can still appreciate on a technical level, but nobody seems to be willing to go to bat for this on any level.
We never really die.

Bat King

That's why I say I don't like it THEN say I'm not the target audience...

I'm not hiding the fact that I don't like the ongoing series. Especially when I say I haven't reviewed it because I don't like it.

That doesn't take away from the fact that I am not the target audience though. Or I'm assuming I'm not.

I have continued buying the series... but I have two unread issues somewhere...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 July, 2013, 07:33:26 PM

By targeting everyone, the '95 film hit no one.