Main Menu

Marvel "Ultimate Graphic Novels" Collection (As seen on TV!!!)

Started by Alski, 30 December, 2011, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Anyone subbing received theirs yet?

QuoteHonestly, these books are pretty good value even at full price.  They're full colour hardbacks on good paper with additional content, sold at the same price as a regular TPB or less.

Fair point. You seldom see paperback GNs less than a tenner at the shops. They're usually a good deal more.

James Stacey

Not heard a whisper yet. They are supposed to send a welcome letter before your first pack.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 January, 2012, 05:43:40 PM
Ive just bought it from my local newsie myself. So, now.

SBT
Cool, thanks. I'll pick it up tomorrow.  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

vzzbux

With these kind of sets for sub's the second and third issue tends to come on issue date of the third. Then can be quite random thereafter.

At least with this you have and end in sight. I can only guess when my Star Wars will end.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

X-Men Dark Phoenix is 'suitable for those fifteen and over' says the packaging. That would be news to the ten year old me who bought the comics originally, and indeed to the comics code authority  who passed it all.

Isnt that just the tiniest bit nannying?

SBT

TordelBack

Ratings of this sort of stuff are ridiculous - those were comics made for kids.  Similarly, my son (5) is currently happily playing a gore-free Power Rangers game on his DS that's rated 12's.  Show me the 12 year old that watches Power Rangers. 

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 January, 2012, 10:00:08 AM
X-Men Dark Phoenix is 'suitable for those fifteen and over' says the packaging. That would be news to the ten year old me who bought the comics originally, and indeed to the comics code authority  who passed it all.

I wonder what motivated that, it just seems so strange. I've not read the story for a while but certainly can't think of anything in it that is remotely not suitable for children. Unless the cartoon violence of superhumans is thought to be a bit much these days? Or is it the provocative clothes that Jean wears when with the Hellfire Club, which again seems a bit of a misfire. I'd love to know what the thinking was?

matty_ae

I think the 'over 15' line is common to all the books - its not really appropriate here but the Iron Man story Extremis merits it.

I got no reply asking from Hachette for a list of all titles!

I think these books look great and the endpapers are a lovely touch

Alski

This is, apparently, the list. A very good collection.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home
The Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix
Iron Man: Extremis
The Ultimates: Super-Human
The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
Thor: Reborn
Captain America: Winter Soldier
The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams
Wolverine
Astonishing X-Men: Gifted
Captain Britain: A Crooked World
Avengers: Forever Pt 1
The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt (+ 3%)
Captain America: The New Deal
Marvels (+3%)
Avengers: Disassembled
New X-Men: E is for Extinction
Secret War
Avengers: Forever Pt 2
Daredevil: Born Again
She Hulk: Single White Female
Marvel Zombies
The Incredible Hulk - Planet Hulk Pt 1
Punisher: Welcome back Frank Pt 1
Ultimate Spider-Man: Power and Responsibility
Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS Pt 1
The Mighty Thor: In Search of Gods
Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous (Extra royaly to pay?)
Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle
The Incredible Hulk - Planet Hulk Pt 2
Captain America: The Chosen
New Avengers: Break Out
Spider-Man: Blue
New X-Men: Imperial
House of M
Wolverine: Origin
Fantastic Four: Unthinkable
Thor: The Last Viking
Civil War
Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS Pt 2
Fantastic Four: Authoritative Action
Fallen Son: Death of Captain America
Punisher: Welcome back Frank Pt 2
The Ultimates: Homeland Security
Wolverine: Weapon X
Daredevil: Guardian Devil
The Amazing Spider-Man: Revelations (sequel to Coming Home, not the end of the Clone Saga)
Eternals
Black Panther: Who Is The Black Panther
World War Hulk
Fantastic Four: The End
Captain Britain and MI13: Vampire State
Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Secret Invasion
Doctor Strange: The Oath
Thunderbolts: Faith in Monsters
Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation
Son Of M
Siege
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Colin YNWA

There's some really good stuff there. I think (off the top of my head) that the oldest thing there, after Phoenix Saga is Demon in the Bottle. which means a lot of classic stuff is missed. Guess its targeted to an audience that might not appreciate early Marvel, which I guess has dated quite a bit. Still If I didn't have vast chunks of the stuff it'd really be of interest.

mogzilla

got the first one yesterday ok for £3 dunno if i'll get many more .

Mardroid

I was hoping to find a package here today. I did receive the Welcome/info letter though, so at least I know my subscription is being processed.

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 January, 2012, 07:30:06 PM
There's some really good stuff there. I think (off the top of my head) that the oldest thing there, after Phoenix Saga is Demon in the Bottle.

The Eternals might be earlier, depending on whether it is Gaiman's reboot or Kirby's original run (they also have 1602 so I'd guess the former).

Whichever one it is there is a lot of good stuff there and it'd be a great primer for a lot of new Marvel, but I probably already have the material I want to read from that so can't see myself dipping in much.

A couple of oddities:

• Thunderbolts: Faith in Monsters - which is Ellis' reworking of the team, it proved popular but the current incarnation is closer to the original spirit
  • Captain Britain and MI13: Vampire State - it was the real high-point of the run but [spoiler]it really helps if you've read the previous story, I thought it was a loss of pace from the first story, but with hindsight it was clearly essential for the Vampire State one. Without it one of the twists would come completely out of the blue. Not necessarily a problem as readers of this series will have to put up with odd elements from older continuity popping up unexplained but still[/spoiler].

Although none that should stop people getting stuck in, in fact they might just encourage a few new readers to check out other parts of classic series.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Leon

Been following this thread for a bit but wanted to input!

I subscribed to this about a week ago, and got my letter confirming my subscription yesterday. Will let you guys know when my issue #2 turns up, has anyone else received their letter or issue #2 yet?