Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

District 9?

The film was produced for $30 million and shot on location in Chiawelo, Soweto, presenting fictional interviews, news footage, and video from surveillance cameras in a part-mock documentary style format. A viral marketing campaign began in 2008, at the San Diego Comic-Con, while the theatrical trailer appeared in July 2009. Released by TriStar Pictures, the film opened to critical acclaim on August 14, 2009, in North America and earned $37 million in its opening weekend. Many saw the film as a sleeper hit for its relatively unknown cast and modest-budget production, while achieving success and popularity during its theatrical run.

Molch-R

spireite68

Just posted something similar Molch you just beat me to it  :)
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 20 January, 2012, 03:59:51 PM
Also worth noting that studios generally don't include marketing costs when citing a production budget for a movie - and the advertising and promotion can cost over half the film's budget again.

Which is why the cost of Judge Dredd '95 was nearly $100 million -according to the producers- despite Cannon shooting it within the initial $70 million; Stallone also shot pick-ups in Vancouver without Cannon being involved.

The new Spider-Man film apparently cost $220 million but they've spent $150 million on marketing -I'd love to know where that marketing is- so it's total budget is creeping towards $400 million.

Gonk

Mega-bucks! Nearly as big as a banker's bonus or M.P.'s expenses. Astronomical sums totally divorced from the reality of most of us. So if Dredd flops, the money lost is pretty goddammed damaging for the film makers.

Look on the bright side, the omens are good - no Rob Schnieder, no taking the helmet off and no kissing. A winner with 2000ad fans surely. I wouldn't mind room in the film for a Judge Bitch though, maybe for the sequel?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Danbo

'He's' at it again on Empire   ::)
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Goaty

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 21 January, 2012, 05:56:23 PM

Seriously, why he kept posts same topics in many forums? Many media would still see him as the head fan of "Dredd club" whose not happy with new film!  :-[

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wonkychop on 21 January, 2012, 07:50:10 AM
So if Dredd flops, the money lost is pretty goddammed damaging for the film makers.

The film-makers won't lose a penny, only those investors who funded it, which I don't think will happen. Dredd hasn't got a huge amount of money behind it so it won't be hard to make it back at least 3 times over.

Gonk

Well they can pan it as much as they like before it's relased but speaking from a fans point of view I'm looking forward to seeing it. in 3D! :o

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Goaty on 21 January, 2012, 07:39:57 PM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 21 January, 2012, 05:56:23 PM

Seriously, why he kept posts same topics in many forums? Many media would still see him as the head fan of "Dredd club" whose not happy with new film!  :-[

Took the time to read his posts after your post expecting the same bats**t crazy stuff I read of his from years back, but I think his meds have kicked in because there are some valid points he makes albeit in his own inimitable way.The chief villian being a hardened prostitute thereby missing a physical threat (without weaponry that is), the other main character -Mega City One that is ,not getting a big enough look in missing all it's absurdities and craziness ,but being portrayed (hopefully not) as purely a slum city, concentrating on uber-violence (again hopefully not), the lack of satire if not humour -are all valid points.The 'sex scene' I have no problem with (if handled right) ,nor the R rating ,same proviso.
Couple of questions spung to mind after reading

#Who the hell is saucieboy?

#If John Wagner has actually seen the final cut was hasnt he just said he loved it ,was pleased with it or even liked it.Not saying any of the above is a bit of a worry.I think (I may be wrong) to date, he has purely couched his response in terms of what the film got right -'good actors, right direction ,a day in the life of Dredd et al ' which as fence-sitting goes is pretty high on the splinter factor.Has he actually seen the films final version?

:-*

JOE SOAP

Scojo's arguments/rants are always based out-of-context, in the end he fails to make any sense.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 21 January, 2012, 10:16:15 PM
Took the time to read his posts after your post expecting the same bats**t crazy stuff I read of his from years back, but I think his meds have kicked in because there are some valid points he makes albeit in his own inimitable way.The chief villian being a hardened prostitute thereby missing a physical threat (without weaponry that is), the other main character -Mega City One that is ,not getting a big enough look in missing all it's absurdities and craziness ,but being portrayed (hopefully not) as purely a slum city, concentrating on uber-violence (again hopefully not), the lack of satire if not humour -are all valid points.The 'sex scene' I have no problem with (if handled right) ,nor the R rating ,same proviso.
Couple of questions spung to mind after reading

I wouldn't take anything Sc**o says seriously, unless he's somehow seen the final cut with finished visual effect shots included, and I'm pretty darn sure he hasn't.  He doesn't know what Mega-City One is going to look like, and he certainly hasn't seen any footage of Lena Headey's performance as Ma-Ma in the film, so I don't think he can make any assumptions about either yet!  As far as the scope and scale of Mega-City One featured in the new film, the budget is $45m not $145m, but even that notwithstanding, Alex Garland has done EXACTLY the right thing in having the main body of the film take place in a residential block, it creates claustrophobia, tension, and suspense... a bit like that obscure little independent flick that nobody's seen, what's it called again, oh yeah, Die Hard !
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

JOE SOAP

The city-block is Mega-City in miniature. In Mega-City everyone's looking for a release, an escape of some kind, either from the tedium or the Law; eveyone's a prisoner and this is condensed in the Peach Trees lock-down. It's the Judges Vs the Perps.

On a side note, just found out the Avengers has a marketing budget of $1 billion, it cost $200 million to produce the film- though I'm sure that's a lie.

Gonk

So there's a Dredd basher on the Empire forum?
Why doesn't he post on here, or would he be banned?

Sector Chief

I think it would be great if 2000AD and the Megazine ran a competition to win tickets to the premiere of DREDD, anyone know if anything like that is planned?