Main Menu

THE ORVILLE

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2017, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

So where is this currently, legally available?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Pyroxian

Nowhere on broadcast / streaming.

It's up on Google Play, and I assume iTunes.

EDIT: Although I found it on GP in my browser, it's not showing up on my phone, so I guess it's not available even there...

I, Cosh

I hate that duck! I assume this is not a thread about Keith Harris.
We never really die.

Woolly

Decided to give this a go, not gonna lie - I torrented it. I'm not proud.

Absolutely fantastic stuff!
A massive love letter to Star Trek Next Gen, with a bit of humour and some great sci-fi concepts.
Very pleased that the show isnt taking the piss out of sci-fi, or Star Trek for that matter, and is just being funny in it's own right.

Very much recommended, when it's legally available.
And I'll be buying the DVD, as I feel guilty as hell about torrenting it  :(

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 October, 2017, 09:25:26 AM
So where is this currently, legally available?

Can't you just wait a week or two until Fox cancel it and then buy the box set for a fiver?

Buttonman

I didn't like the first two episodes - not a drama and too few laughs to be a comedy. I think ' a love letter to TNG' is a kind way of saying a total rip off - the junior officer being left in charge of the bridge and bringing off the win after some setbacks was way too familiar. Not going back unless I hear of a great upswing in quality.

von Boom

I've only laughed once at The Orville. [spoiler]Woof![/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

I'm just here to say how rubbish Star Trek: Discovery is and to annoy Professor Bear! <Evil Grin>

I'm mostly enjoying The Orville; the humour can be a bit silly (that last episode especially had some really duff jokes) but if they can fix this I think there's real potential here. It's never going to be Babylon 5 or Firefly but if they can approach humour in the same way these two masterworks did instead of trying to shoehorn jokes in just anywhere then I think this show could be a winner.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

HMPH
I thought we could have at least ONE ORVILLE THREAD where we don't talk about Star Trek bloomin Discovery but clearly I was mistaken.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 October, 2017, 09:33:56 PMI think this show could be a winner.

It's been cancelled.

edit: Sorry, getting ahead of myself.  I thought it was Friday.

von Boom

Professor Bear

I got ahead of meself there as it hasn't been canceled yet, but I can't guarantee it won't have been canceled by the time I finish typing this.

CrazyFoxMachine

I actually don't think it's that bad. I mean it's got solid characters and good effects, it's a nice mix of funny-ish stuff and sci-fi melodrama, and the performances are good. However it's just TNG. The same music cues, the same transitions, the same sort of plots, the same sort of designs, the same directors, the same producers, the same everything. If it was what the trailer said it was going to be and like - 20-minute Macfarlane sharp spoof stuff rather than a carefully crafted 40-minute long lightly comic but largely weirdlyserious tribute to TNG then maybe folk would feel more than they do about it which is faintly bemused.

Also Bear. Relax and let it happen naturally, these things shall surely pass. Like the neverending cycle of the seasons or that odd rash.

The Legendary Shark

I am enjoying The Orville, probably more than I should, and I hope it doesn't get cancelled just yet. It seems pretty solid to me, apart from the odd shaky bit, and I'd like to see it go from strength to strength.

Sorry I mentioned The Other Show - I was just trying to be funny. I know, I know, it'll probably never happen but I live in hope...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

THIS IS A STAR TREK THREAD NOW so Star Trek Continues has just dropped the first part of their two-part series finale, having been forced to curtail their efforts by CBS' fan movie rules, which they introduced to prevent stuff that was detrimental to the Trek brand like (checks CBS fan movie guidelines) spending too much money, using foul language, or portraying excessive violence or gore.

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 October, 2017, 08:21:37 PMIf it was what the trailer said it was going to be and like - 20-minute Macfarlane sharp spoof stuff rather than a carefully crafted 40-minute long lightly comic but largely weirdlyserious tribute to TNG then maybe folk would feel more than they do about it which is faintly bemused.

TLDR MUSINGS ALERT:
In the Charlize Theron episode, Mercer finally admits in a moment of pillow talk that his marriage failing was for the exact reasons that his ex-wife suggested, but which he has so far dismissed as an excuse on her part for her infidelity.  This establishes that Mercer has a blindspot in his judgement where his ex-wife is concerned, while the series has established by this point that his ex-wife is a good officer, and reviewers have already established they see similarities in the show to TNG among others and TNG did at least two episodes with a similar premise to this one so they must know there's a twist and heel turn coming in the second or third acts - and despite all this, when the ex-wife questions Mercer's judgement - which, again, we know is compromised both within the context of the story and by our exposure to the "charming rogue turns a main character's head" trope - reviews promptly called the episode misogynistic because the ex-wife is obviously jealous, Because MacFarlane.
Never mind that the story has established the male character is at fault and the female character is motivated by legitimate concerns that all of sci-fi ever has established as going to turn out to be completely correct, the only possible interpretation of the story is that MacFarlane hates women.

When this is the kind of already-written copy and prejudgement you're up against, maybe you should just make the show you want rather than the one people are expecting, though don't get me wrong: I'm as surprised as anyone that this is the format and tone that the show has gone with.  I'm just saying that maybe MacFarlane is better off making TNG fanfic and not giving a fuck.  If nothing else, a 20 minute spoof would almost certainly have stopped being talked about weeks ago.

JamesC

The only things I've seen about the Orville are what I've read on here and a promo pic of Seth McFarlane with a silly expression on his face.
Despite this minimal information I seem to have an irrational dislike of it. The whole idea of it just turns me off and I hate the name.