Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Star Trek: Generations, enjoyed that. I'd forgotten most of what happened in it ([spoiler]I had a vague memory of Kirk being retired at a wee cabin and totally forgot TNG is set 70 years after he retired so all the Nexus time travel stuff had totally left my memory seemingly)[/spoiler]! It's good fun and McDowell makes a good Star Trek villain, it does feel a little odd watching all the films in close succession and having the TNG cast suddenly take over but as far as a changing of the guard I thought this film did the job well. First Contact next, which I remember being one of my very favourites so looking forward to revisiting that!

karlos

The Old Guard

VERY faithful adaptation of the first mini series, and mostly enjoyable.

As per a lot of Netflix films, it's overlong and a bit of a plod but it sticks the landing.

Let's face it, it's always nice to see Theron kicking ass onscreen.

[spoiler]Interesting little twist after the end credits, too.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Suicide Squad

The very definition of style of substance... and I didn't like the style and the little substance it had was made out of cold (when it thought it was cool) senseless nonsense fried in poppycock.

I don't watch many superhero movies anymore and this has done nothing to motivate me to reconsider that.

wedgeski

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 July, 2020, 09:40:04 PM
Suicide Squad

The very definition of style of substance... and I didn't like the style and the little substance it had was made out of cold (when it thought it was cool) senseless nonsense fried in poppycock.

I don't watch many superhero movies anymore and this has done nothing to motivate me to reconsider that.
It's a terrible film no matter what genre it's in!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: wedgeski on 15 July, 2020, 09:14:32 AM

Yeah its daft to think a single film reflects an entire genre, but I decided to watch Suicide Squad as I fancied some modern - flash bang whollop - (or thought I did, turned out I was wrong!) and this was on Prime and it was a superhero movie I'd heard was a bit more interesting - so alas I associated it with judging the genre in my head going in. Utterly unfair and silly, but also there.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2020, 09:26:15 AM
Yeah its daft to think a single film reflects an entire genre, but I decided to watch Suicide Squad as I fancied some modern - flash bang whollop - (or thought I did, turned out I was wrong!) and this was on Prime and it was a superhero movie I'd heard was a bit more interesting - so alas I associated it with judging the genre in my head going in. Utterly unfair and silly, but also there.

Of the non-Snyder DC movies, Wonder Woman is great, barring a muddled and noisy finale (but there's a lot to enjoy getting there), Aquaman is as dumb as a box of rocks but manages to be ridiculously enjoyable nonetheless, and Shazam delivers on its Big-meets-Superman premise with considerable charm and bags of humour.

As I've said with tedious regularity — if the DCEU's first three movies out of the gate had been these ones, they'd be in a lot less of a mess than they ended up in.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robin Low

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2020, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 15 July, 2020, 09:14:32 AM

It wasn't great, but I didn't hate it. The only think I actively hated was the way they handled Amanda Waller. My experience of the character is from her appearances in Justice League International/America/Europe back in the early 90s. She was arrogant, hard as nails and in Oberon's word a "big fat black broad". I thought she was great. As I remember she had a moral centre albeit a little off-centre... [spoiler]but not as off as in the film. I just didn't like what they did with her in the film.[/spoiler]

Not a huge fan of what's happened to Harley Quinn, either, but that seems to have happened in the comics, too.

I did like the brief Batman/Deadshot stuff and I particularly liked what ultimately happened with El Diablo, as it was a moment when being a superhuman accurately equated with being a god. Like Thor bringing the lightning, only more so.

Regards,

Robin

Colin YNWA

Well watched Charlie Brooker's Dead Set as a palate cleanser after Suicide Squad and while I know its not a movie it could well be and as such is in a bite off with Dawn of the Dead - which I play to watch this weekend - for my favourite zombie movie.

Tiplodocus

Blimey! DEAD SET is a blast from the past. Very good but we say too long if I recall. Zombie Davina made me laugh.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Loved Dead Set! I remember it feeling like a really cool bit of event telly at the time, I was so excited that Charlie Brooker was making a zombie show.

I saw Howl's Moving Castle when it came out but it didn't leave much of an impression on me, so gave it another go today. It looks gorgeous for sure and that's enough to warrant watching it I think, but I have to admit I didn't really get engaged in what was going on particularly. Can see why people love it though.

Colin YNWA

Ah Dawn of the Dead why did I ever doubt you. You are indeed the greatest, indeed perfect Zombie movie. You have to wonder how The Walking Dead has got to, what 10 Seasons now and I strongly suspect (having only watched the first 7 I do intend to catch up at some point) hasn't said anything more than is said in the little over 2 hours of this piece of horror comedy perfection.

Out of interest does anyone have any suggestions as to the best DVD version. I have an very old (1999) 'Directors Cut' which I do love, but is a pretty poor print and in 4:3 ratio - remember that! I'm eyeing up the 3 disc trilogy set from Arrow Studios which while the reviews elsewhere suggest this is the one to go for the reviews on Amazon are an insane jumble of versions so I'm not 100% this is the one to pop for. Mind not seem Day of the Dead for years so might be worth it for that alone?

Anyway anyone got this three disc set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Romeros-Trilogy-Night-Living/dp/B005KITEKY/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=dawn+of+the+dead&qid=1595108545&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383381011&rnid=383379011&s=dvd&sr=1-4

and if so is this the full Director's Cut rather than the cinema release which I believe is significently edited?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The version of Dawn I have, the region one Anchor Bay DVD Ultimate Edition, has four discs comprising the US theatrical version (1.85:1), the extended version (1.85:1), the european version (1.85:1) and the Dead Will Walk, Document of the Dead documentaries and home movies, Monroeville Mall tour, plus trailers, tv spots, galleries and commentaries on all three film versions. It's all I've ever needed.

SBT

pictsy

Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning

This was fine.  I liked it.  Much better than Unleashed.  It has a pretty tenuous relationship with the other film going for a cyclic kinda thing.  It does have an enigmatic charm, nonetheless.  There's not a great deal to say about it.  I don't think it offers anything particularly interesting, but I find it hard to call it generic.  I can say it's not as good as the original Ginger Snaps and thinking of it as a trilogy of films, in my mind at least, does do a disservice to the original.  I am once again questioning whether it was as good as I remember.  In the end they are three very different films of varying quality.

Hawkmumbler

You might want to hold off on picking up an overpriced, second hand edition of Dawn of the Dead, Colin.

Second Sight has a news bells and whistles edition coming out, all 4 cuts in UHD, Blu-Ray, and DVD.
https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/products/copy-of-dawn-of-the-dead-limited-edition-4k-uhd-pre-order-available-26th-october-2020

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Oh god, MANEATER (2015, dir: Hank Braxtan).

No, not the Maneater movie in which Gary Busey fights a tiger, or the Maneater movie with Dean Cain, or even the old one with the couple being hunted by two tigers. No, this is the one in which Judge Dredd and Endless Bummer star James Remar fights a rogue polar bear in the Alaskan wilderness.

Obviously I watched this because of Shako, and for the first half if you squint it could almost be a sort of dodgy cheap sequel to a movie version of our beloved strip. But then they screw it up y revealing the bear is in fact a genetically altered polar bear with wolf DNA, presumably to excuse the shoddy (and shaggy and not very bear-like practical effects/ puppet/ costume).

It's not very gory, the cast is a bit crap, the man-in-a-suit bear is frankly weird, and while it does have its moments, time would be better spent reading Shako again. Though the one-liner climax is worth hanging around for, if only for being the sort of thing Pat Mills would definitely have written in 1977 to wrap this sort of thing up. And I wont spoil it for you here.

SBT