Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 July, 2011, 11:13:55 PM
They bought me a pint, so yes, I have taken the Murdoch shilling.

The subpoena's in the post.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 July, 2011, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 July, 2011, 11:13:55 PM
They bought me a pint, so yes, I have taken the Murdoch shilling.

The subpoena's in the post.

As long as it's not a pie in the face.

Trout

It is now traditional to say:

PINT-DRINKING WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

;)

Dandontdare

Shame I'll probabaly never get to see the programme if it's on Sky! It's amazing how many people I've spoken to who've been ranting about Murdoch but look horrified if I ask if they'll be canacelling their Sky Sports subscription!

My minor jolly: On a total spur of the moment last night I was at a loose end, so went to see As You Like it at the Royal Exchange. Not a play I'm very familar with, and I'm not really a big fan of the comedies, but I really enjoyed it. Playing Rosalind was the wonderfully named Cush Jumbo, who is destined for big things.

Oh and Roy Cropper off Corrie was in the audience.

Richmond Clements

QuoteShame I'll probabaly never get to see the programme if it's on Sky!

Us too!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Got back from me holidays. When I goes to the kitchen, I discovered that the seal on our freezer door had failed. The rubber seal's a bit dog earred. The long and short of this was, the interior of the freeser had become one huge block of ice. So I defrosted it. With a hammer. And then a wooden spatula (chisel) and work boot (hammer). Eventually I freed the contents:

Kilo of Mince
2 Dozen Chicken Drumsticks
Peas
2 Battered Haddock
8 Ice Cube Trays

I HATE throwing away perfectly good food, and there was no way I could eat all that meat before it turned.
An impromptu Barbecue was needed. A few phone calls later and I enjoyed a top night of meat, fire and beer.
You may quote me on that.

House of Usher

Gardening accident today: my saw bounced across the back of my hand delivering a nasty, deep scratch. Fortunately it didn't hit anything vital and nor do I need any stitches, so no tedious and inconvenient visit to accident and emergency, and no permanent damage except maybe a feeble sort of scar.
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

We want pic's Ush.
Start an ouch thread so we can show all our Boo Boo's as they happen.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

maryanddavid

Nice one Pops, and Lucky one Ush. Mayo won the football today, which I enjoyed, my boy was reasonably happy, my father in law was apopletic(sp) with happiness, and my Dad couldnt have given a s#ite.!

David

TordelBack

...I'm back from five days down in Galway, camping with the family at the quay in Rinville in almost non-stop driving rain, and racing a tiny 2-man dinghy in sh***ing-myself Force 6 winds at the National Championships* ... where we came 7th overall (in the whole country!) after 6 brutally punishing races.  We even got ourselves a trophy for best boat that didn't place 1st/2nd/3rd in a race. 

This is a pretty big thing, seeing as I am a fat uncoordinated landlubber, even for crew (my skipper is luckily the real deal) - and we only managed 14th at the same event last year.  We spent the winter basically rebuilding the 40-year old boat, and the summer so far training and racing whenever we could, and it paid off.  My hands are blistered lacerated claws, my legs look like they've been beaten with iron bars, I can't seem to raise my arms over my head or bend at the waist, and I've drunk half the Atlantic. Next year we're making a play for top 5.

We also got a chance to do some puttering about the countryside, visiting Kinvarra and Athenry, and the wife and kids went to the aquarium at Salthill  - south Galway is a lovely, lovely part of the world, highly recommended, even in wind and rain.

*Galway sailors are stone mad.  There's no way we'd have even been let out of the harbour in Dublin in 21-gusting-30 knots, never mind hold a half-dozen races right out in the bay - only one boat stayed upright for the whole weekend, several had to be towed in, the quayside was a blur of first aid kits, broken ribs, lacerated scalps....

Dandontdare

Congratulations. You're bloody insane mind you, doesn't sound like my idea of a good time, but well done anyway.

Galway is definitely on my "to visit" list - my friend just did a week in a horse-drawn caravan for her 50th birthday - soeething of an adventure (with overcrowding, bolting horses, flattened road signs and other jolly japes) but she said the area is stunning and the people lovely.

johnnystress

I was looking for a job and then I found a job

I'd rather be a rock star comic artist though

The Legendary Shark

because...

...no matter how stupid a thing I do, there's always going to be someone dumber than me:

Poor Alf  :-X  :lol:
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

... I've got a job interview tomorrow.

It's only 'sort of okay' because, frankly I need a job but I often feel nervous and slightly unwell before the interview. And bad though it sounds, (or reads in your case)  you get used to being unemployed. The sudden responsibility is somewhat daunting although I know I can work hard when I need to.  Also, I've another worry...

To explain the last sentence, I went for another job interview for a secretary role in a Church Office earlier this year. The interview actually went quite well, but I didn't hear back until today so I assume they thought me unsuitable and gave the role to someone else.* (They asked me why I would be interested in a secretary role with my qualifications.)

Anyway, one of the people who interviewed me called today. "I'd like to call you for an interview," he said. "Not for the same job. For the college next door." (It's a slightly odd set up with a church and college in the same basic complex. You go in through a front door and turn left for the church office right for the office. Heh.) "When would you like to meet?"

We arranged for tomorrow at 12. It's sooner than I'd like but it's best to get these things out of the way.

I took the address again and we hung up. Then I got to thinking... um... what job am I actually being interviewed for this time?  I assume it will either be web or database related or maybe it's just another admin type role. Silly me for not asking.

I didn't really want to call back as I thought that might look bad. The last interview I had with these people was quite relaxed, so I assume this will be too, and he'll just tell me then. I should have asked though so I'd know where to prepare...

Never mind. If I get it great, if not, I'm no worse off than now. It's all experience.

*I have a BSc Computing Science degree and used to be a Software Engineer. Trouble is I've been out of development work for so long that it's difficult to get back into that work, and I haven't kept uptodate, although I still apply for that kind of work from time to time.

On the other hand, when you apply for other non-technical jobs like admin, etc, you can look overqualified and people may worry you'll be leaving for something better soon, which is unlikely in my case, as long as I like the job. I'm not fussed about high wages as long as I can pay for my expenses and have a bit over for fun, the odd book, DVD, the chance to save for other more expensive things once in a while.. In short I'm under-qualified for one type of job, overqualified for the another (qualifications wise. Experience-wise I've small experience in both.)

The Legendary Shark

Good luck with it, Mardroid. Fingers crossed for ya!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]