Main Menu

Hivemind query: Name that story

Started by Dash Decent, 12 January, 2024, 10:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

It was live action Eamonn and I'm pretty sure it was American.

Definitely not a comedy show more a drama ..

Dash Decent

Quote from: Rara Avis on 27 February, 2024, 07:40:48 PMWhile we're at it .. I remember watching a tv show when I was younger (late 80s / early 90s) which I'm pretty sure was called Frankenstein's Castle and Frankenstein lived in this castle with Dracula and others and the castle was in the middle of a lake ... Anyone remember what this tv show was really called?

"Help, My Cellar's Sprung a Leak" starring Dracula the Dampire and Plumber's Snakenstein?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 February, 2024, 02:16:12 PMI have a vague memory of a 2000ad strip where someone is listening to the lyrics 'to my mind she's my kind of girl', which Google tells me must be this and sounds very different in reality from how it was in my head.

On a tangent, but I wasn't familiar with that song, though the title of Matt Monro's My Kind Of Girl reminds me of a line from Haunted by Sinéad O'Connor and Shane MacGowan "But that's the kind of girl I am, He's my kind of guy"

Which reminds me of a further tangent, the American folk song Buddy/Brother Can You Spare a Dime has the lines "Say don't you remember, they called me Al, It was Al all the time" which may have inspired Paul Simon's You Can Call Me Al.
The same song more famously opens with "Once I build a railroad, made it run, Made it race against time, Once I build a railroad, now it's done, Brother, can you spare a dime?" which is referenced in the song Lucretia My Reflection by the Sisters of Mercy with the lines "A long train held up by page on page, A hard reign held up by rage, Once a railroad, Now it's done"

Rara Avis

No guys, it's not any of those. I guess I've jumped dimensions again and that tv show doesn't exist in this one  :(

Fortnight

Quote from: Rara Avis on 27 February, 2024, 07:40:48 PMWhile we're at it .. I remember watching a tv show when I was younger (late 80s / early 90s) which I'm pretty sure was called Frankenstein's Castle and Frankenstein lived in this castle with Dracula and others and the castle was in the middle of a lake ... Anyone remember what this tv show was really called?
I spent the last two days racking my brain trying to remember this title, and it's a comedy, but your description reminded me of this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090434/
It's set in a castle on a lake, with drac & frank, it's a TV series and the date is about right.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Fortnight on 02 March, 2024, 05:13:09 PMI spent the last two days racking my brain trying to remember this title, and it's a comedy, but your description reminded me of this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090434/
It's set in a castle on a lake, with drac & frank, it's a TV series and the date is about right.

I got the impression that's what Eamonn was originally referring to...

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 27 February, 2024, 08:15:03 PMWas it by any chance a European co-production with dodgy dubbing?

Don't remember ever seeing the live action version but I got the original book out of the school library almost four decades ago. Seem to remember it was a direct, (unofficial, presumably legally dubious), sequel to the old Universal horror films, with a werewolf in it called Larry Talbot, described in such detail that you just thought "yep, that's Lon Chaney Jr".

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Fortnight

Quote from: M.I.K. on 02 March, 2024, 05:28:35 PMI got the impression that's what Eamonn was originally referring to...
Well I wish he'd given the title and saved me two days of strain  :lol:

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Fortnight on 02 March, 2024, 05:35:12 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 02 March, 2024, 05:28:35 PMI got the impression that's what Eamonn was originally referring to...
Well I wish he'd given the title and saved me two days of strain  :lol:
Yes, sorry I was thinking of that one but I didn't think it had a UK broadcast and I was sure the dubbing would have stood out in the memory.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fortnight

I only saw, I think two episodes. I have a vague memory of it being one of the many times when I went to stay with my grandparents for a couple of weeks, and to be fair, I hadn't remembered that it was dubbed either.