Main Menu

31 (and a bit) years later...

Started by Steamrunner, 03 October, 2008, 08:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamrunner

Hi All,

My subject title refers to two things.  Firstly, it's taken 31 (and a bit) years for me to write to (or, as this is a forum, on) anything related to 2K. Not even a letter to Tharg in all that time (sorry! and there is of course so much to say and shout "thanks!" for! I must relent one day...).

Secondly, after 31 (and a bit) years, I've come full circle. My first ever copy of 2000AD was technically Prog 2 -- as I actually got it a few days before liberating a copy of Prog 1 from somewhere -- but, just like many kids of the time, I have of course suffered the curse of kids everywhere with many an early prog becoming lost or recycled by a well-meaning but misguided mum at the time. Well, patience has been a virtue over the years and just a couple of weeks ago Prog 2 finally came back to me (via the wonder of eBay of course). It was an emotional moment...

I've been along for the ride ever since those first progs.  I remember each of those first progs with clarity. The Flesh card game, the Robot War, Dan Dare arriving in London (!), despite being only eight years old when those first progs appeared. I remember climbing a very large hill when on holiday in Looe in Cornwall to find a newsagents with a copy of Prog 29 for sale. I think it was Prog 93 that didn't turn up for six weeks or so (because of a strike?) and for all that time I felt like it was the end of the world. I was on a school residential trip for Prog 164. My mum (bless her) posted me every issue, including the tenth anniversary Prog 520 (with, shock, a glossy cover!), when I was at University. There have been so many memories of life since then, and everyone marked by a Prog number. Both have had their ups and downs, but both are still going strong. Well, at least 2000AD appears to be... :-)

So hello! I'm here! Lets continue the ride... !!

Scott.

Dandontdare

hi there and welcome!

Ah, your post brought back memories! I was 10 when I ran around covered in Biotronic Stickers! For me, It's Artie Gruber, MACH Zero, and Laurel & Hardy as Lunar bank robbers that made the biggest impression!

My mum didn't post my progs to me at uni, but she did keep them on the household paper bill till well after I graduated! Progs 71 to a thousand and something are still piled in a heap in my parents' loft. Unfortunately I cut out all the star scans, made scrapbooks of my favourite characters and stuck cut-outs all over my school art folder, so they're in a pretty sorry state.

And I've also never written to Tharg. Now that I know that Buttonman keeps such a Big-Brotherish surveillance of Tharg's correspondence, I'm quite glad! (//http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21568&p=398859#p398859)

Steamrunner

Thanks for the welcome.

Artie Gruber...  there's another thread on the board somewhere about the scariest story in 2000AD, but as scary characters go Artie still does it for me every time... that was a face and a half (well, maybe just a half... :-)

S.

Dandontdare

Roger Godpleton

Word. In order to belong here you have to kill someone and on Sundays you have to be naked.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Steamrunner

Quote from: "Godpleton"Word. In order to belong here you have to kill someone and on Sundays you have to be naked.

So I gather. But I already know who Two Ton Tony Tubbs is (was?) so I consider myself pre-indoctrinated... :-)

S.

Kerrin

Hello mate, recently started posting myself and have to say that bar the bizarre indoctrination ceremonies they're a jolly decent bunch. Welcome.