Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: First, second, then, after that, later, and finally

Started by broodblik, 13 July, 2022, 04:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Let's keep this one simple. Just one question what is your favorite era of the prog?
-   70s
-   80s
-   90s
-   2000s
-   2010s
-   2020s
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Huey2

AlexF

2010s>1980s>2000s>1990s>1970s

-too soon to comment on the 2020s for me
And Colin is right, this is NOT simple! (Not helped by the fact that my absolute top era would be 2006-2014 which straddles two of these brackets)

Richard

That's far too hard, and even asking me is a violation of my human rights or something!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

2020s. Because the best 2000AD is always current 2000AD, and no matter how zarjaz the past, it will always top it down the line.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 13 July, 2022, 01:20:36 PM
2020s. Because the best 2000AD is always current 2000AD, and no matter how zarjaz the past, it will always top it down the line.

SBT

Yep this seals it for me. I was going to rule out 2020 as there's so much to come and of course the best thing about 2000ad is the excitment of the potential of whats to come. so yeah

2020s

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

No it is simple.

It's the 80s.

Peak Dredd, Strontium Dog, Slaine and Nemesis. Plus Robo-Hunter Ace Trucking, Alan Moore Future Shocks, Halo Jones. Meltdown Man. The Stainless Steel Rat.

And Rogue Trooper.

Plus Bolland, McMahon, Carlos, Ron Smith, Fabry.

Lots of Progs with half the stories by Wagner and Grant at their very best. Pat at his best.

Not much outside the 80s makes my best of list. Only Brink, Dante, ABC Warriors series one, Zenith.

So yeah, easily the 80s.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 July, 2022, 06:29:02 AM
Well, it's not the 90s.

I am sure there is someone out there that will be saying "the prog is not like it was in the 90s" :)

Funt Solo

I'm going to say the 2010s prog trumps the 1980s - but I've had to shelve a lot of nostalgia to say that, and they've both got a lot to love. Nu-golden age, mofos!

What the 2010s give you that the 80s don't, is variety. Sure, Strontium Dog was good - but it wasn't consistent. Same with Ace and RT (and RH).

Here's my personal list of 2010s highlights, which, of course, will be missing some of your favorites and include some of your meh-triggers:

Judge Dredd: The Talented Mayor Ambrose
   Nikolai Dante
   The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael...
   Savage
   Age of the Wolf
   Low Life
   Slaine
   Dandridge
   Shakara
   Kingdom
   Judge Dredd: Chaos Day
   Aquila
   Brass Sun
   Trifecta
   The Ten-Seconders: Godsend
   Jaegir
   Judge Dredd: Dark Justice
   The Order: Book I
   Survival Geeks
   Grey Area: Homeworld
   Helium
   Dreams of Deadworld
   The Fall of Deadworld
   Brink
   Scarlet Traces
   Kingmaker
   Hope...
   Mechastopheles
   Fiends of the Eastern Front
   Thistlebone
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

I'm not voting for the 90s, but just to be contrary I'm going to point out that although the prog reached its nadir in that decade, it wasn't all bad. On the positive side, the 90s had:
Necropolis and The Pit
Nikolai Dante
Sinister Dexter
Most of Luke Kirby
Zenith Phase IV
Kevin Walker on ABC Warriors
Shamballa
Devlin Waugh (Chasing Herod etc)
Durham Red: The Scarlet Cantos
Firekind
Killing Time
Pulp Sci-Fi
The Horned God Book III
Slaughterbowl

BPP

This might sound weird but I'm voting 80s largely on the fact I will always prefer B&W art to colour.

2000/2010 have had great stories and beautiful art but nothing sings to me like Pouring over the individual lines of a Gibson or McMahon.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd