Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Pain is the mind killer no man fear or something like that

Started by broodblik, 13 July, 2022, 04:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

One of the greatest sci-fi novels ever written Dune has been adopted a few times. We all have mix feelings about adapting a novel into its moving picture equivalent. So, the question which adaption did you like most:
-   The first movie adaption by the fantastic mister Alan Smithee
-   The second bite at the apple pie Denis Villeneuve
-   The director's cut of Alan Smithee Dune
-   John Harrison's 2000 miniseries
-   What how dare they it is pure sacrilege to even try to adapt it
-   Dune – Woman's Fragrance by Dior
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I've not seen the new one but I can't imagine anything not being directed by David Lynch being as good as something directed by David Lynch so

David Lynch Dune.

AlexF

I shouldn't be commenting as I've never read the book and have only seen the David Lynch/Alan Smithee Dune. But I've seen that at least 3 times, and think it's pretty great. Well, at least the first hour and a half is great. Then we get whatever is the opposite of a 'previously on' to wrap up 3 hours worth of story in 15 minutes.

So yeah, David Lynch!

Barrington Boots

As an adaptation of the book there is SO MUCH about the David Lynch Dune that is utter rubbish, not least all the sonic weapons nonsense that got put in so the Fremen weren't depicted as basically jihadists. The new version is so superior in so many ways it's untrue.
And yet... whilst watching it I felt a real absence of some of the stuff from the Lynch version: the crazy, beautiful costumes and sharply defined, almost cartoonish characters. And if I listen to my heart, it tells me that I have to vote for David Lynch Dune.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

from this list, lynch. apart from sting's amdram turn, the casting was perfect.

but - though it's actually about an incredible adaptation that didn't quite happen - gotta put in the biggest word for alejandro 'the incal' jodorowsky's dune.

Richard

Until last year I would have said David Lynch. But the new film is very good too -- but it's only part one of two, so it doesn't seem fair to compare them until we see how they handle the second half, which is where the Lynch film stumbled a bit. So I abstain, except to say definitely not the 2000 miniseries.

broodblik

You have until Wednesday to decide if pain is a mind killer or fear rather
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik