Main Menu

Manga Dredd

Started by M.I.K., 25 August, 2008, 10:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Around the time the Dredd film was released, I remember reading something about a manga version of Judge Dredd being published in Japan. Not only was it different from 2000ad's version, but it didn't seem to have much to do with the film either. I don't remember where I read about this, (could have been in the prog itself), but I'm pretty sure there was also a picture of a helmeted Dredd.

I'm wondering if anyone here has seen the manga in question or has any other info on it. Failing that, does anyone remember reading about it and know where to find the picture of the Japanese mangafied Dredd?

steeyre

I vaguely remember reading something about it, in "Manga Mania" maybe?
If my memory serves it wasn't actually Judge Dredd, he was a teacher or something.
Might have just been that the character reminded them of Dreddy as he had a big chin and was a ball-buster.
The title "Ultimate Teacher" rings a bell, but my memory is often wrong :?

M.I.K.

I remember the bit about him being a teacher too, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a version of Dredd himself, training cadets or something of the sort. I think the helmet in the picture was similar to the movie version but had stars along the top of the respirator/badge part. I used to read Manga Mania so it is possible that I read about it there.

I did a quick google for "Ultimate Teacher manga" and it's quite apparent that's not it.

Steven Sterlacchini

Manga Dredd, might be quite interesting.

Have you seen Star Wars Manga compared to the original comic adaptation?

M.I.K.

Quote from: "el-lopo"Have you seen Star Wars Manga compared to the original comic adaptation?

Yep. I think someone someone posted a link to that on here a while back. Interesting to see the differences.

The Adventurer

I don't know about a Dredd Manga, but I'm of the stanch opinion that the best way to get Dredd animated is to license it out to Japan to become an anime series. Japan's produced the best in sci-fi animation in the... well... ever after all. It would be like Ghost in the Shell meets Mad Max.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "The Adventurer"I don't know about a Dredd Manga, but I'm of the stanch opinion that the best way to get Dredd animated is to license it out to Japan to become an anime series. Japan's produced the best in sci-fi animation in the... well... ever after all. It would be like Ghost in the Shell meets Mad Max.

Has anyone seen 'Storm Hawks' I think that style would work well for Dredd.

The Adventurer

Quote from: "el-lopo"
Quote from: "The Adventurer"I don't know about a Dredd Manga, but I'm of the stanch opinion that the best way to get Dredd animated is to license it out to Japan to become an anime series. Japan's produced the best in sci-fi animation in the... well... ever after all. It would be like Ghost in the Shell meets Mad Max.

Good lord Jesus NO. Storm Hawks, and the whole faux Anime "style"* is GARBAGE.

*that ultra generic big eye "cutesy" look. See: Teen Titans, Code Lyoko**. Basicly, any American show trying to tap the Anime Market and just going super generic with it.

** Though, to be fair, Code Lyoko is French

Large48

Dredd was reprinted (maybe not legally) into a Chinese / Japanese magazine some years back.

It was (again I think!) Top Dog and it was in issues 1039 through to 1043 (at least) and read right to left. I have issues 1039, 1041 and 1043.

Does anyone else have any details of this?

Cheers
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "The Adventurer"
Quote from: "el-lopo"

Good lord Jesus NO. Storm Hawks, and the whole faux Anime "style"* is GARBAGE.

*that ultra generic big eye "cutesy" look. See: Teen Titans, Code Lyoko**. Basicly, any American show trying to tap the Anime Market and just going super generic with it.

** Though, to be fair, Code Lyoko is French

Not so much the 'big eyes', which I agree about, but I like method of animation, a sort of CGI and animation blend. Seems to allow for a lot of action and drama, no need to repeat sequences to save time etc.

Mardroid

Not all manga does the big eyes thing.

That being said, I'm not keen on the idea for a Dredd animation. The whole eastern style certainly looks sumptious, but I think western style animation for a western character. Keep it gritty.

I did like Ghost in the Shell though. The sequel felt pretentious with all the blather, although the basic storyline for that was ok too. I haven't seen any of the 'Stand alone Complex' series though.

The Adventurer

Quote from: "Chris Mardle"I did like Ghost in the Shell though. The sequel felt pretentious with all the blather, although the basic storyline for that was ok too. I haven't seen any of the 'Stand alone Complex' series though.
SAC is like the first GitS, except it cuts out nearly all the Psychological mumbo-jumbo. Its pretty rad.

Quote from: "el-lopo"Not so much the 'big eyes', which I agree about, but I like method of animation, a sort of CGI and animation blend. Seems to allow for a lot of action and drama, no need to repeat sequences to save time etc.

Its my experience that TV grade CG is generally pretty poor and should be avoided at all cost. Your Storm Hawks example is a good example, that CG is atrocious.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I think a 'Manga' Dredd could be a seller appealing to all ages rather than the cynical youth who buy 2000 A.D !

I suspect most parents would probably object too 2000 A.D 's violent content and perhaps a milder form might be appropriate and though it would undoubtly be a diluted Dredd ( heresy! ) it might be the way to go.

I always felt anime films like 'AKIRA' and 'Ghost in the Shell' seemed to depict a Megalopolis like M.C 1 though that might be influenced by 'Bladerunner'.

The world increasingly has an Asian influence as the West's power slowly declines so Manga Dredd would surely do a roaring trade in China and other rising tigers. Brutal authoritarianism is bound to be respected by a one party 'democracy!'
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

M.I.K.

Necropostifying 'cos I just found this in the March '96 issue of Anime FX magazine...

M.I.K.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 09 March, 2012, 02:19:58 AM
Necropostifying 'cos I just found this in the March '96 issue of Anime FX magazine...

Pretty certain I read a bit about it somewhere else too.