Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dom

Cars 2 today with the kids. Man. How disappointing was that. We all LOVE the first movie, my sons watch it over and over again. Love the "Cars Toons" 5 minute shorts they have out as well. We were all really looking forward to this, have been all year......it pretty much sucked! They came up with this ridiculous story, not at all suitable for young kids, an espionage thing about eco-sabotage that even I struggled to follow. Got off to a good start but about 20 minutes in it was losing me and when I looked at my kids ---- they were just so visibly bored and confused by it. It was so disappointing, when they'd been so excited about seeing it. Normally we come out from a movie and talk about it for ages, reliving the funny moments, discussing our favourite bits.... came out of this one and although I attempted a half-hearted "who was your favourite character" "what was your favourite bit" I got ZERO response from the kids, they just looked at me blankly before mumbling "Mater". Of course. Cos Mater is all they saw for the whole 2 hours.

This must be the first dud Pixar have come up with. Its so cynical. I could tell, halfway through, that the only reason this film exists is to introduce new vehicles that they can make toys out of and sell.... Bah!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Keef Monkey

Pathfinder, with our future Dredd Karl Urban. Wasn't too bad, had vikings and lashings of stabbings and beheadings.

klute

Jennifer's body and Inglorious Basterds

Jennifers body wasnt a bad film neither a good one would i recommend it? only if you dont have anything else to watch.

Inglorious Basterds i enjoyed and would recommend ive been putting off watching this for sometime which now seems a shame. its always nice  to see the good guys getting a kicking aswell as the bad guys.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Richmond Clements

[spoiler]Waltz with Bashir[/spoiler] - bloody hell that was hard going. A brilliant, brilliant movie though.

radiator

My sister and her husband came to stay this weekend, and chatting to my brother in law as we wondered round Forbidden Planet, he said that he'd never seen District 9, which I resolved to put on when we got home.

I had a strange feeling of anxiety as we sat down to watch it later that evening - the pair of them have a rather.... conservative taste in movies - they only tend to watch the big blockbusters like Bond/Pirates etc. Was fun to watch my brother in law shaking his head in disbelief and my sister turning away from the screen and covering her eyes during the more gruesome bits (I always forget just how much gross-out stuff there is in the film!).

Thankfully, the result was that they ended up enjoying it quite a lot - my brother in law actually seemed quite dazed afterwards, mumbling how it wasn't anything like he expected, and that he couldn't think of anything to compare it to!

As for me, I enjoyed it just as much as I always do (third time watching it now). A tremendous film - one of my absolute favourites of recent years. If DREDD (which shares a few cast and crew members with D9) has half of it's energy and style I'll be very happy indeed!

Put on Rocky II last night at my girlfriend's request. I really enjoyed the first one, but thought it stood alone as a nice little slice of life and had no interest in seeing the sequels, which from what I've seen just get more and more ludicrous. As it turned out Rocky II just seemed very, very cheesy and lacked the charm of the original. Seemed like a low budget TV movie in comparison to the first one. About half an hour in there was a problem with the streaming, and we were unengaged enough not to bother trying to fix it.

Colin Zeal

nanny McPhee when I was babysitting over the weekend. I wasn't paying much attention to it but it seemed ok from what I saw.

Buddy

Quote from: Van Dom on 23 July, 2011, 10:05:30 PM
Cars 2 today with the kids. Man. How disappointing was that. We all LOVE the first movie, my sons watch it over and over again. Love the "Cars Toons" 5 minute shorts they have out as well. We were all really looking forward to this, have been all year......it pretty much sucked! They came up with this ridiculous story, not at all suitable for young kids, an espionage thing about eco-sabotage that even I struggled to follow. Got off to a good start but about 20 minutes in it was losing me and when I looked at my kids ---- they were just so visibly bored and confused by it. It was so disappointing, when they'd been so excited about seeing it. Normally we come out from a movie and talk about it for ages, reliving the funny moments, discussing our favourite bits.... came out of this one and although I attempted a half-hearted "who was your favourite character" "what was your favourite bit" I got ZERO response from the kids, they just looked at me blankly before mumbling "Mater". Of course. Cos Mater is all they saw for the whole 2 hours.

This must be the first dud Pixar have come up with. Its so cynical. I could tell, halfway through, that the only reason this film exists is to introduce new vehicles that they can make toys out of and sell.... Bah!

Agree 100%

Took the boy to see this at the weekend.

Pixars first dud movie.... I fear they may be beginning to believe they can do no wrong and just put out anything and everyone will lap it up.

You mentioned the Cars Toons... this is like one of those but filled with crap to stretch it out to almost 2 hours.

Was really looing forward to seeing this but ended up very, very disappointed.

Van Dom

Quote from: Buddy on 25 July, 2011, 03:54:07 PM

You mentioned the Cars Toons... this is like one of those but filled with crap to stretch it out to almost 2 hours.

Exactly,you hit the nail on the head right there.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Albion

Lemmy - The Movie.
It was on BBC4 last week. I've been meaning to get the DVD but it came on TV before I got round to it. I'll probably get it eventually as I believe there is lots of extra stuff on there.
I'm a big fan of Lemmy and Motorhead and this documentary on the great man was excellent. He came aross exactly as I expected him to be. Clever, witty, sometimes grumpy and very likeable and approachable too. He has certainly lived his life his own way and it's not totally a life I'd choose but my hat goes off to him once again. Long live Lemmy.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

El Chivo

Harry Potter 7
Glad i had my 3d glasses on, i was filling up on Severus' scene
(Who u calling a jessie?)
and 127 Hours
a tough man's film i tell ya!
(both Arsom)

Chi

HdE

Saw the Liam Neeson flick 'Unknown' last night. Surprisingly good stuff! I could see the 'surprise twist' a mile off, but it was well staged and didn't feel out of place. I wish i'd watched that last week instead of 'Taken'!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

HatefulCactus

I had a Paprika and Inception double feature.
Feel My Hate!

HdE

By 'Paprika', do you mean the Satoshi Kon movie?

HatefulCactus

Yup. Sorry about the confusion.
Feel My Hate!

HdE

Nah, just checkin'. Saw that movie last year. Can't say as I enjoyed it much, but there was undeniably a TONNE of visual cleverness in it!