Main Menu

Christmas Telly?

Started by Proudhuff, 04 December, 2018, 03:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Anything worth watching this year?
I tried looking up the schedules/magazines but they seem to be filled with pointless celebs  :-\
DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

I quite like Pointless Celeb editions...

JamesC

Apparently the new series of Black Mirror will be on Netflix from December 28th.

Dandontdare

It's a shame that top class Christmas telly isn't a thing any more - probably because you can find great stuff anytime now. Back in the day it was the only time you'd get great recent(ish) films and the rest of the year was so crap, this period felt like... well, Christmas . We used to get the double-size Radio Times (which was BBC only back then) and TV Times at Christmas only and the family would spend ages marking out their must-sees.

I haven't got a scooby what's on this year - scheduled TV is dying

Andy Lambert

If you like a ghost story this time of year, there's a one-off half hour spooky tale called The Dead Room on Christmas Eve, BBC 4, written by Mark Gatiss and starring Simon Callow.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-12-04/the-dead-room-christmas-2018-mark-gatiss-bbc4-ghost-story-cast-plot-trailer-maida-vale-filming-location/

von Boom

The new adaptation of Watership Down for BBC One/Netfilx is due to start airing/streaming December 22nd.

Dandontdare

Quote from: von Boom on 04 December, 2018, 04:23:11 PM
The new adaptation of Watership Down for BBC One/Netfilx is due to start airing/streaming December 22nd.

saw  trailer for that - top cast involved.
WD is a great one for freaking out kids - hey little ones, wanna see a cartoon about bunny rabbits? well strap in!

JamesC

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 December, 2018, 04:32:34 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 04 December, 2018, 04:23:11 PM

saw  trailer for that - top cast involved.
WD is a great one for freaking out kids - hey little ones, wanna see a cartoon about bunny rabbits? well strap in!

If it doesn't have that fucking awful song in it, it'll have one up on the old version.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 December, 2018, 04:10:00 PM
It's a shame that top class Christmas telly isn't a thing any more - probably because you can find great stuff anytime now. Back in the day it was the only time you'd get great recent(ish) films and the rest of the year was so crap, this period felt like... well, Christmas . We used to get the double-size Radio Times (which was BBC only back then) and TV Times at Christmas only and the family would spend ages marking out their must-sees.

I haven't got a scooby what's on this year - scheduled TV is dying

Another take on TV scheduling of times gone past...

They'd put some half decent stuff on in the summer months, to try to tempt people back inside instead of spending their days getting fresh air outside.

During the late autumn, winter and early (wet) spring they'd bung on all the stuff they couldn't face scheduling during the summer, knowing they had a captive audience.

Come christmas, they'd suddenly remember there were competing channels and rush to make a grab for all those viewers.

From the sounds of it, things have changed a bit since then?

Link Prime

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 04 December, 2018, 04:13:55 PM
If you like a ghost story this time of year, there's a one-off half hour spooky tale called The Dead Room on Christmas Eve, BBC 4, written by Mark Gatiss and starring Simon Callow.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-12-04/the-dead-room-christmas-2018-mark-gatiss-bbc4-ghost-story-cast-plot-trailer-maida-vale-filming-location/

That is very welcome news indeed.
I thought 2013's The Tractate Middoth was the last time we'd ever get A ghost Story for Christmas.

Andy Lambert

Yeah, I really do hope A Ghost Story For Christmas becomes a regular thing again...

wedgeski

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 December, 2018, 04:10:00 PM
Same. Those bumper Radio Times were a sure sign the school holidays were just around the corner. VHS rentals gradually killed the thrill of the big Christmas Day movie (although I relied on a Christmas taping of Back to the Future for many years before buying a proper version), and nowadays, everyone throws their gifted DVD's into the mix and we decide between us what'll be the best thing to watch while the food goes down.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 December, 2018, 03:34:07 PM
I quite like Pointless Celeb editions...

I watched it, but didn't recognise anyone, except AA, which confirms the pointless bit...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: JamesC on 04 December, 2018, 04:02:10 PM
Apparently the new series of Black Mirror will be on Netflix from December 28th.

yea!!!  :D
DDT did a job on me

ABCwarBOT

War of the Worlds is supposed to be on but there hasn't been many updates for a while.