Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, I do like Nu-Spock's struggle with his emotions. I think it works quite well.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2018, 03:22:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was only mostly dead

Would Kirk have had a better reason than 'to blave' for coming back then?

TordelBack

Kirk is well known for his tendency to blave - look at "The Corbomite Manoeuver". But it's not inconceivable he was saying "oogle Carol's booooobs".

The Legendary Shark

Ooh - I learned a new word! Thanx, guys!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Joe, starring Nicolas Cage.  This is one of his more subdued performances, and follows a recent genre that you might call US White Trash Noir.  It's low key and smoldering interspersed with sudden acts of terrible violence.  Cage's titular character becomes father figure to a young man who might otherwise be trapped in a cycle of violence and poverty.  Unfortunately, the wisdom that violence won't solve your problems is then overturned in a tricky third act.  Good, though.

---

Mississippi Burning, starring Gene Hackman and Wilem Defoe.  I haven't watched this since it came out in 1988, so it felt fresh.  It's based on a true story (of racial violence in the 60s south of the US), and follows an FBI investigation into three murders carried out by the KKK.  It caused controversy on release as it had white FBI defeating white KKK and seemed to leave the black community to play faceless victims but at the same time it does expose an uncomfortable history that many like to pretend didn't happen.

The local state authorities refused to prosecute the murders so the FBI had to prosecute under civil rights laws (as in: you violated their civil rights by killing them).  Most of the perpetrators ended up serving around 6 years.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ming

The Serengeti Rules.  Fantastic, not totally doom and gloom (but mostly*) film based on Sean Carroll's book, about the game-changing keystone species concept.  If you're at all interested in life on Earth, seeing yet another example of how humans are screwing things up but have at least some limited hope of turning things around in some cases, I'd highly recommend seeing this.

* To be honest, this was far more soul destroying than even the 'family picnic' scene in The House that Jack Built, which I saw the day before.

abelardsnazz

A Simple Favour. Entertaining thriller that mixes humour in with the twists and turns of the plot and gets the balance about right. Good fun.

Smith

Idiocracy,a chilling documentary.

broodblik

Humanity Bureau a movie staring Nicolas Cage. If you want to lose 90 minutes of your life that you will never get back, watch this. The highlighted was [spoiler]at the end of the movie all the main characters die so thank the gods no sequels[/spoiler]
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Venom. Left after about an hour as it's a complete mess. Can't even say it was a typically eccentric performance from Tom Hardy, as only one scene (the one in the restaurant) made me chuckle a bit. Maybe the wider Marvel universe can do something with the alien parasite if they get the rights to it, but on the basis of this and the equally bad third Tobey Maguire Spiderman, it needs to be left out in space for a long time to come. Utter pants.

SIP

Ironically, I had heard that the second half of the film was much better than the first half (not joking).

If I've paid that much money to see something, I'm not leaving until the ordeal is over!

von Boom

Quote from: SIP on 08 October, 2018, 08:19:44 PM
Ironically, I had heard that the second half of the film was much better than the first half (not joking).

If I've paid that much money to see something, I'm not leaving until the ordeal is over!
Something all submissives say to their doms.  ::)

Mardroid

Venom

Not the best film but it was fun. It had a lot of humour and that goes a long way with me.

[spoiler]And a nice taster for the new Spider-Man animation at the end[/spoiler].

TordelBack

First Man. I imagine that this film had the same effect on me as The Passion of The Christ had on the more visceral variety of Christian, so brace yourselves for some speaking in tongues.

I don't think I have ever felt more completely in a movie than I was during the Gemini 8 sequence,  or the initial moonwalk scene.  And while I accept that this is a movie and not an historical documentary,  I've never really appreciated before quite why Armstrong was the perfect man for the job.

Gosling continues to successfully employ his androidlike acting to stunning effect,  and Claire Foy must be in serious contention for Best Supporting; she's nuanced,  understated, breathtaking.   Everyone else was amazing too,  even Ciaran Hindes' Permanent Caesar was deployed appropriately. I've heard people complain about Corey Stoll's abrasive Aldrin,  but I thought he was perfect, and perfectly loveable.  And even though I haven't quite forgiven Jason Clarke for Terminator Genitals [sic], his poor doomed Ed White is superb.

Oh look,  I could go on,  but I'll summarise my babbling praise by just saying that it is a masterclass in the use of focus - the camera is always fixed on exactly what it should be, and nothing else, eschewing spectacle for what felt like lived experience.  Intimate,
rather than infinite, space.   Further comment on the use of different camera formats and film grades would probably constitute a spoiler.

Absolutely brilliant, go see it, on the biggest loudest Imax screen you can find.

(Irish peeps: my first visit to the Blanchardstown Imax, what a cinema! I may never go anywhere else ever again).

Professor Bear

I thought it was great that they made a movie about the runners-up in the space race without it ever feeling like they were cataloguing a famous failure, ALA Cool Runnings or Rocky 1.  I genuinely felt like being first to set foot on Luna and then never capitalising on that achievement - in the way the comrades did with the invention of satellite communication and the establishment of manned space stations - was still an important achievement rather than a hollow symbol of the greatness and unity America could never achieve under capitalism.