Main Menu

Not enough thought in comics today

Started by Tex Hex, 22 January, 2003, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

almighty mat

++Eisner does some fantastic stuff with thought balloons - having a character saying one thing and thinking another all the way through their story. It's a neat trick.++

When they're used properly thought balloons can be cracking, it's the tendency of superhero/boy's adventure hack writers to use them as an extra caption that's knocked them out of vogue.
 Y'know, Superman thinking "I'll use my heat-vision." in a panel that shows superman shooting red beams out of his eyes that melt some evildoers gun-I think that every reader knows what he's thinking anyway. But if the thought balloon read "Damn! Forgot to drop the laundry off at the drycleaners-Lois is going to kill me!" it'd be a lot more worthwhile.

mat

Andy Diggle

Personally, I think thought balloons work best as captions... the finest example being the colour-coded-by-character thought-captions in BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.

Link: http://www.andydiggle.com" target="_blank">andydiggle.com

almighty mat

++Personally, I think thought balloons work best as captions... ++

Yeah, as long as the writer doesn't use place/time captions at the same time (Scotland Yard, 21st Dec.), as this makes the main character look like a total anal retentive!

mat