Main Menu

Prog 1545 city of the living dead

Started by Last of the V8's, 09 July, 2007, 09:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

Prog 1545 has landed.
Is this a tie in to the Dredd story Mutants In Mega City One?
As I opened the envelope today I thought is this the Megazine? But no, it's my very own Mutant prog. Basically 2 progs have been bound together, get half way through and the whole prog starts again including cover. Cock up at the printers I guess?
Any way,
Cool Cover by Nick Percival.
Dredd: This has me more excited than Origins.
Return Of Samantha Slade, ho hum.
Greysuit, lovin' it.
(Mutant Prog).
86ers, cool.
Defoe, lovin' this too.
Return of letters, raay!!
Best Prog for ages.

Grant Goggans

What?  Samantha's back already?!?!  :-D

*happiest squaxx on the board, does fun dance*

What is on the cover, Defoe?

Bad Andy

My issue is not so mutated.

Interesting issue, although the Dredd resolution odd. More of a slow-burner then.

Defoe is so full of weird ideas. Someone in the letters page related it to Nemesis and I can see the parallels.

Last of the V8's

Yup a Defoe cover, advancing Zombies.
The cover was used in the latest Meg as the lead page illo on horror comics.

Captain Patriot

Yep, a zombie cover is always a winner in my eye.

I was expecting more from the Dredd story, something was missing? Oh well still an awesome prog ths week.

Smiley

Cover's alright for an old Bisleyclone. Dredd's a calm, unfussy episode. Not so much story as affirmation. Art's still quite ordinary for MacNeil. Best thing in it's the great dialogue for the Fargos.

Samantha Slade's a nice surprise. Gibson's art looks rushed but it's still jolly, and Grant's soapbox satire's funnier in small doses like it is here. Wouldn't it just be Slade's luck to end up in a slammer where all her new yard buddies could be doing a Ben Ninety?

Greysuit rolls on. This is the best art Higgins' ever done for 2000AD. Could all the mind control stuff mean the plot's an elaborate con to make Blake kill the minister, who isn't really a nonce but whose execution will send Thames House a message or something? No idea. I just wanna know what Zil did to that sheep.

86'ers is a bit dull. Maybe it's me but didn't Mercy Heights also have the split-faction fanatic backstory and the token ace GI pilot along with the stealth engineered uber-assassin caste warrior types with glowing red eyes infiltrating the space station where the administrators glower behind each other's backs while something ominous slumbers planetside which may yet destroy them all (deep breath) kinda thing? Not fussed.

Defoe's up and down. That's a cracking opening panel. Was the thing in the stench's cakehole a bit of the Mayor from last week? I couldn't tell. Story's stuck in empty portent mode at the mo. Hope next week dissects things further.

7/10-ish

Trout

A high-quality comic.

The cover had proper impact. I love it.

I enjoyed the end of Dredd, although with hindsight it's hard to see how else it could end. That said, this issue won't go away. Skilful stuff!

My other main highlight was Defoe. It's clearly stuffed with backstory to come, so I'm hooked, despite having no idea what any of the characters are on about most of the time.

Greysuit's picked up over the last couple of weeks, IMO. I'm more into it now, despite the clumsy use of past tense. Why do writers do that? I often have to take it out of news copy at work.
Higgins is on top form. I usually only like his more cartoony stuff, so this is a revelation.

The 86ers was engaging, too. It's a nice mystery story and I'm interested in all the Norty background.

I'm thrilled to see Ian Gibson back, and I hope this Robohunter story will have more meat than the last.

- Trout

satchmo

Well Dredd got a sympathetic hearing, but I couldn't see the vote going any other way. I still wore my Stront T-shirt in solidarity though : )
pro-mutie satch

ps can anyone give me a heads up on the current council of five? didn't recognize some of them

Richard

From left to right:
Niles, Ramos, McTighe, [Hershey,] Buell, (off edge of pictures or not present) Hollister.

satchmo

Cheers Richard, it was the lack of Hollister that confused me, and I didn't recognize Buell.
You can't mistake McTighe though with his mighty techno-lugs :)

Goaty

funny that Buell is there as Chief SJS, Dredd put him on the track at the Pit!

WoD

A lot of covers recently mean that I need to hide the prog (or Meg) from mini-wod...more's the shame.

philt

Does it matter that the only thing I think is worth reading at the moment is (as usual) Dredd?

Robohunter? A story who's natural end was the conclusion to the Day of the Droids and yet here we are over 25 years later with the same "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" schtick. Please stop

Rogue Trooper Continuity Story 86. 2000ad has the entire breath and width of the universe and history as it's remit and playground. And we get some overly reverential bollocks set in a universe no-one wants to visit.

MACH Suit. I can only assume no-one has ever seen Airplane II. The expressions on the charactors faces are exactly when the photos are shown are the same as those in this movie when someone mentioned there was a "bom....." on board.  Why do I have the awful feeling this is only going to be an drawn out over 5 years book one of several volumes Pat Mills is indulged with far too much.

Defoe. Dead eyes.

I'm buying it in habit mode again for the first time in ages...

Trout

I have to disagree most strongly about Robohunter, Phil.

It's not been too strong since it came back - and we don't mention the 90s - but there were some terrific stories after Day of the Droids, IMO.

The Beast of Blackheart Manor, Football Crazy and Sam's Slade's Last Case ("Dear God of Robohunters, please don't do this to your old pal!") all spring to mind.

- Trout

philt

Fair comment. That said I don't think anyone would dispute that this version of Robohunter isn't as good. And if it isn't as good why is it being printed?