Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 April, 2018, 11:14:53 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 05 April, 2018, 02:02:45 PMMakes sense,  just not sure why everything is rendered in a 96pt font, and why copying files to USB drives generate loud digital countdowns and giant red sliders.

Probably because computers, like mobile phones, are the most anti-cinematic but almost unavoidable things to put on screen.

Indeed.  And further,  rewatching 90s genre TV (e.g. Buffy),  it's impossible not to imagine almost every week's plot unravelling in the potential presence of 'cellphones'.  When we slide into the 2000s and mobiles are essentially unavoidable,  almost every plot requires a scene where reception and/or batteries fail.  Hateful things.

radiator

Mobile phones also have the side effect of making films date incredibly quickly. Nothing makes a relatively modern film feel more dated than someone using, say a Blackberry or a flip phone. Even an older-model iPhone appearing onscreen feels like a giant timestamp.

inkymonkey

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 April, 2018, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 09 April, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
I never quite understood what that weird sequence with David Bowie in FBI HQ was about... but I love the fact it's there.

Such a lovely and strange scene  :lol:

I connect it to the disappearance of agent Desmond and Cooper. That he came from where they went. Arriving in a vision, a bit like Cooper later does when he is asking Laura not to take the ring.

I'm hoping you've seen the big chunk of deleted scenes from the film with Bowie?

I love seeing his character cameo quickly in TP:FWWM - one of my favourite Bowie moments in film - but those deleted scenes are just bugnut-insane...

Mattofthespurs

Sunday morning saw me struck down with the novovirus.
What was most galling was I started vomiting at 6 am and was supposed to fly out to Venice at 1pm.
Despite delaying leaving it as late as possible it quickly emerged that I was going to be in no state to travel, needing the toilet every 15 minutes or so. So the Wife and my Son jetted off without me leaving me feeling rather sad and sorry for myself (Venice is my favourite city in the World. I've been twice before but I was looking forward to showing my Son around. So Sunday was a wash out and I went to bed very early but on Monday the worst had passed so I decided to wrap myself up and have a mini movie marathon.

Wanted something funny and uplifting so my first choice, via Netflix, was;

David Brent: Life on the Road. I had seen it before and did not think much of it but decided to give it another go. Wish I had not bothered. It's still crap 2/10

My next choice, still demanding something amusing, was;
Stephen Fry at the Royal Festival Hall: More Fool Me. This I enjoyed. Fry is at his driest and despite the fact that it's just him on a stage for 90 mins I enjoyed it 6/10

With my funny bone sated, and the sun going down my next choice was;
The Autopsy of Jane Doe. (All 3 so far on Nteflix). This I enjoyed a lot. Different, creepy, clever and interesting. Great fun 7/10

Finally, to round the day off, I put on;
Dr. No. Whilst I have seen this, the first James Bond movie, many times I had yet to watch it on the blu ray I purchased as a set 4 years ago. So I opted to put it through the projector. Wow! It looks stunning. The level of detail blew me away and it really felt like I was watching it in the cinema. Excellent film and a top notch blu ray.

Anyway, I'm feeling better now so I have booked a seat at the cinema this afternoon for A Quiet Place. My Wife and Son fly back late this evening.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: inkymonkey on 10 April, 2018, 06:19:36 AM
I never quite understood what that weird sequence with David Bowie in FBI HQ was about... but I love the fact it's there.

I connect it to the disappearance of agent Desmond and Cooper. That he came from where they went. Arriving in a vision, a bit like Cooper later does when he is asking Laura not to take the ring.

I'm hoping you've seen the big chunk of deleted scenes from the film with Bowie?

I love seeing his character cameo quickly in TP:FWWM - one of my favourite Bowie moments in film - but those deleted scenes are just bugnut-insane...

The David Bowie sequences from both the final cut of FWWM and The Missing Pieces are "explained" in Twin Peaks series 3, along with a whole lot more bugnut insanity. Highly recommended if you can handle 18 hours of full-on David Lynch.

Keef Monkey

Went to see A Quiet Place, which was brilliant. Very impressed with how hard they commit to silence and how well they manage to sustain tension throughout, a pretty amazing accomplishment.

One guy didn't agree - in the lift after the film a chat started up about it and he said he wished it hadn't been as quiet as it was because 'you miss stuff don't you? When you're looking at your phone and the film isn't making any noise then you miss stuff'.

Sigh.

inkymonkey

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 10 April, 2018, 08:16:58 AM

The David Bowie sequences from both the final cut of FWWM and The Missing Pieces are "explained" in Twin Peaks series 3, along with a whole lot more bugnut insanity. Highly recommended if you can handle 18 hours of full-on David Lynch.

Well, having FINALLY finished this f-----g terrible film I've been on, I might just have time to watch series 3!!

Then again, maybe I should be bugging Tharg as to whether he might have a spare story that needs an artist.

Tough choice...

Apestrife

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 10 April, 2018, 08:16:58 AM

Been a while since I saw the missing pieces. Remember them as being quite funny.

Rewatching season 3 now! Haha, as you say: "explained". Feels like one big movie. Really like it.  For me it and Fire walk with me is what I want out of Twin peaks.

Mardroid

I haven't gotten round to the recent season of twin peaks yet. Hope to catch it soon.

Last film I watched was The Dark Tower on Blu Ray.

I'm a fan of the books (although I have reservations about certain stuff) and I kind of wish they'd made it a bit closer to the books.

For what it is, I don't think it's too bad. I do like it, and Idris Elba is pretty good as Roland. I do think it could and should have been so much better though.

The Legendary Shark

The Last Movie Star. Burt Reynolds plays Vic Edwards, a retired if not exactly washed up movie star who accepts a lifetime achievement award from a film festival. The ageing, forgotten star turns up to find the "film festival" is just a load of geeks in a bar.

It's a simple story about facing old age and unashamedly appeals to the emotions of the audience but, you know, Burt Reynolds. He nails it here, and it's obvious the film was written for him. The scene with doddery old Reynolds in the canoe with the iconic Reynolds from Deliverance[/i] is wonderful - the 70s epitome of male strength and virility withered away by time.

Poignant,witty, thoughtful and more or less predictable - plus, you know, it's Burt f*cking Reynolds!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

The LEGO Movie for the first time since the cinema. Was very worried it wouldn't hold up but much to my surprise I love it even more! Genuinely think this has the material to be an all time family film classic.

SPACESHIP!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 April, 2018, 06:03:34 PM
The Last Movie Star. Burt Reynolds plays Vic Edwards, a retired if not exactly washed up movie star who accepts a lifetime achievement award from a film festival. The ageing, forgotten star turns up to find the "film festival" is just a load of geeks in a bar.

Michael Sheard and Shedcon anyone?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trout

WHO INVOKED ME?

Oh, you mentioned Sheard. Sorry. As you were.

TordelBack

Haven't you got shelves to fill? Jump to it, fish-boy.

Mattofthespurs

A Quiet Place

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Excellent film as long as you don't think about it too much.

The suspense is intense all the way through this film and surprisingly the themes are not what you expect them to be.

I was lucky in that I saw this in a cinema with 15 other people, all of whom were chomping away during the adverts and trailers but were then perfectly silent throughout the film.

To those people; I salute you. You made the experience of watching this somewhat unique film all the more pleasurable.

The last time I was this surprised by a movie at the cinema was last years 'Get Out'.

A very entertaining watch 7.5/10