Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 June, 2015, 11:23:58 AM
Contemplating Outlast on the sale. Alien Isolation left a horror itch that Amnesia couldn't reach due to ageing engine/overly gothicness.
Do it. Outlast is a classic horror tale and one of the very best game's i've played in recent years. The DLC is also superb,mpossibly even better than the main story.

CheechFU

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 June, 2015, 03:17:49 PM
Oh christ....The Steam summer sale is nearly here.
An alternate steam storefront
http://gabegaming.com

Satanist

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 June, 2015, 11:35:05 AM
Contemplating Outlast on the sale. Alien Isolation left a horror itch that Amnesia couldn't reach due to ageing engine/overly gothicness.
Do it. Outlast is a classic horror tale and one of the very best game's i've played in recent years. The DLC is also superb,mpossibly even better than the main story.

Agree with above. Outlasts great as is the DLC. Jump scares ahoy!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Outlast is worth a play if it's cheap and you're looking for a horror fix. It's pretty slick, and builds tension really well initially in an Alien Isolation stylee, but runs out of steam a couple of hours in. Just one of those horror games where you've seen all the scares it has to offer after a while so get numb to it.

Luckily it's only about 4hrs long so doesn't necessarily outstay its welcome. Very reminiscent of Condemned and F.E.A.R. in places, the owner of the Condemned IP was recently asking studios for pitches and I was really hoping those guys would give it a go!

Theblazeuk

Well it's about £4.49. Cheers fpr the recs guys will get it shortly. 2 hours to go before the sale runs out

Rog69

If you like scary games try Amnesia - the Dark Descent, It is on the flash sales currently and is up there with Outlast and Alien isolation for scaryness.

Goaty

I notice Wolfenstein: The New Order is on Steam sale for £9, is it good game? As I got Wolfenstein few years ago and didn't finish play it. Find it bit dull late into the game.

CheechFU

Quote from: Goaty on 12 June, 2015, 07:16:48 PM
I notice Wolfenstein: The New Order is on Steam sale for £9, is it good game? As I got Wolfenstein few years ago and didn't finish play it. Find it bit dull late into the game.
Not as good as Homeworld, Child of Light and Wasteland 2

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 11 June, 2015, 10:10:09 PM
I have been playing this new survival game called Ark-Survival-Evolved.

Which is like a improved version of Reign of Kings with Dinosaurs.

I have two videos of how I faired in the game earlier.

Adam and Bob

I'm playing it much better now.

I have been playing this game most of late last evening and early this morning with my Joe avatar who look a lot like Dhalism from Street-Fighter. Even with the full clothes made suit he miraculously weaves from plant fibers.

After ding many time, I began to settle Joe towards taming tow of those large turtle like Dino's and a even bigger Triceratops , but always ended accidently killing them after I figured out the trick for prolonging their unconscious state  before the taming bar would completely fill to the maxmium. It was bothering me why I could never tame any of the Dino's I knocked out cold. By never fighting them, with a weapon except for the turtle like one that are that much tougher. Their shell protects them from death even if I beat them with a weapon.  They all need knocking out before they can be tamed. I won't let on about this, but if any of you know what Animal Husbandry is and what Slaine did while he was working on the Wyrm's-Head-Farm. They're is even talk of dragons that can be tamed in this game as well as the many of those large flying reptiles. You know, the ones that are supposedly the ancestors of the Dragons from Slaine.

Anyway, I could never tame them, because they would always wake up and go back to what they were doing before I targeted them. Very docile. The I noticed something when I hit one by accident while they were regaining consciousness and in this way it's too easy to finish them off.

So I lost tall three of them and then just repeated the process with another two dinosaurs. Both the same type and lost those as well. Then I caught one of those small birdlike like semi-upright walking Dino's. They have this frills that  they can fan-out around their necks while they spit and blind you. Just like the one from Jurassic Park. Because it was smaller and meat eater. I had to get busy murdering other Dino's to feed it while it was sedated and almost succeeded in taming it. It took less time to do this, but one of the other Dinos had seriously injured Joe and he was limping away from it, and as he approached the near-tamed Dilosaur (If memory serves correctly...) It's dossier page was presented to me and I had to name the thing while Joe got murdered by the angry large turtle behind him.

Then I closed it down and went back to bed.

I was sold twice, when some other player flew past me on the back of one those Pteranodons. (I thought of the Knucker when I saw that!) Which are much harder to catch, because they just keep flying out of melee range. You can use them to attack other players or the other wildlife or ride them. Only if they are big enough.

I haven't seen a tamed Bronto yet.

ThryllSeekyr

Here's screenie of my first dinosaur pet.....

It's a Dilophosaurus and it took me the better part today figuring our how to most effectively tame it. I learnt I lot today.

Here's a list of the in game and rumoured to be in game wild-life.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Goaty on 12 June, 2015, 07:16:48 PM

I loved it. I loved them all.

"I'm on the mutha-funking moon".

Heh.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Yeah Wolfenstein: The New Order is a really great shooter. Give it a couple of hours though - I wasn't keen on the prologue stuff during the war, just wasn't really feeling it, but then it flashes forward a few years and everything clicked and from there on I was loving it. Really satisfying to try and stealth as much of an area as you can before going guns blazing shooty bang bang, runs buttery smooth and the character and cutscene stuff is really well handled, especially for such a balls-out old school shooter. Didn't expect much and it totally took me by surprise.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Rog69 on 12 June, 2015, 05:25:45 PM
If you like scary games try Amnesia - the Dark Descent, It is on the flash sales currently and is up there with Outlast and Alien isolation for scaryness.

I got Amnesia on GOG sale for a song just before Alien. It's ok but something about the Romantic/Gothic setting robs alot of the horror for me. Perhaps I am just a philistine as I can put myself in the shoes of a woman engineer on a space station but not an 1800s nobleman in a castle. It could also be the titular amnesia, I hate that narrative device.

Outlast is fun though I am struggling to work out how well the baddies can see me in the pitch blackness vs my night vision.

Got Sunless Sea in the sale as well. Very enjoyable weirdness!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 15 June, 2015, 09:53:43 AM

Very atmospheric, but I always screw it up every time not very long into the game lose my boat. Interesting story that reminds me of the works of H.P. Lovecraft with a story that gets mosre interesting the deeper I get into the game.

For those that like Game of Thrones combined withX-Com. Then Massive Chalice is for you. Stylised graphics that seem like the regular quasi-medieval settings at first, then they get stranger when you realise that your vanguard of Hunters, Alchemists and Caber-Smashers defending your kingdom by entering the Massive-Chalice that is also treated as some male & female deity. Yet, sometimes I got the impression I was looking at some giant privy overflowing with what ever or some Time-Lake featured in a well known property of 2000AD.

I 'm on third game and this time playing at lowest difficulty at Medium. The first two attempts with disasterous results. Your kingdom sinks section by section as the mysterious Cadence. Rythm dancing monsters that has wondering what ever happened to the regular crew of rural banditry, wolves, bears, and goblins that I was used to. Yet the animations are very charming.

Worth playing is you like those two genres' mixed together.... 

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 18 June, 2015, 12:38:04 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 15 June, 2015, 09:53:43 AM

Very atmospheric, but I always screw it up every time not very long into the game lose my boat. Interesting story that reminds me of the works of H.P. Lovecraft with a story that gets mosre interesting the deeper I get into the game.

For those that like Game of Thrones combined withX-Com. Then Massive Chalice is for you. Stylised graphics that seem like the regular quasi-medieval settings at first, then they get stranger when you realise that your vanguard of Hunters, Alchemists and Caber-Smashers defending your kingdom by entering the Massive-Chalice that is also treated as some male & female deity. Yet, sometimes I got the impression I was looking at some giant privy overflowing with what ever or some Time-Lake featured in a well known property of 2000AD.

I 'm on third game and this time playing at lowest difficulty at Medium. The first two attempts with disasterous results. Your kingdom sinks section by section as the mysterious Cadence. Rythm dancing monsters that has wondering what ever happened to the regular crew of rural banditry, wolves, bears, and goblins that I was used to. Yet the animations are very charming.

Worth playing is you like those two genres' mixed together....
If you like xcom and game of thrones then play xcom and crusader kings II instead.
I've sunk like 80 hours into the CKII Game of Thrones mod, currently trolling westeros from the comfort of the iron islands