Main Menu

Judda teleporters

Started by CalHab, 03 February, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

I've just re-read Oz and I'm puzzled by the Judda's teleporters. Were these ever used again or were they ditched by Wagner et al?

They look like a narrative dead-end to my untrained eye, since their use would make many plots redundant.

NapalmKev

I don't recall the teleportation devices being used in other stories. But then the same could be said about the 'D-Jump' and 'time-travel' machines which seem to have faded into obscurity. See also: Boing!

This has been a less-than-helpful post, I'm sure.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JayzusB.Christ

Teleporters were established as a mode of transport in MC1 at some point well after the Judda's appearance; but I can't remember the prog. Again, not so helpful.  Sorry
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GordonR

I was always more puzzled about why all the Judda seemed to be about seven and a half feet tall (which, let's face it, if you're genetically engineering an entire police force to order might be a road worth going down) and yet Kraken was normal-sized.

Handy, that. Plot-wise, at least.

TordelBack

Sector-house teleporters were in place by 2120 in the alternate future of City of the Damned, and weren't they used in Trifecta too (or did I dream it)?  Teleporters have also cropped up a few times in the hands of perps (the recent Sharks-on-legs story), aside from the DJs purloined ones.

As to Kraken vs. The Giant Judda, I'd assume that he's a largely unaltered Fargo Clone (hence Justice Dept's interest), whereas the others are a result of Judd's tinkering with the clone-stock.

CalHab

Quote from: Tordelback on 03 February, 2016, 02:09:41 PM
Sector-house teleporters were in place by 2120 in the alternate future of City of the Damned, and weren't they used in Trifecta too (or did I dream it)?  Teleporters have also cropped up a few times in the hands of perps (the recent Sharks-on-legs story), aside from the DJs purloined ones.

Thanks. That's probably a better answer than my question deserved.

Steve Green

Quote from: CalHab on 03 February, 2016, 01:18:56 PM
I've just re-read Oz and I'm puzzled by the Judda's teleporters. Were these ever used again or were they ditched by Wagner et al?

They look like a narrative dead-end to my untrained eye, since their use would make many plots redundant.

I think they were mentioned in Trifecta, when Dredd's out of contact, and he mentions teleporter static.

But yeah, like Birdie, Psi Division and even PSU up to a point, they can become a bit of an catch-all solution.

Steve Green

Quote from: Tordelback on 03 February, 2016, 02:09:41 PM

As to Kraken vs. The Giant Judda, I'd assume that he's a largely unaltered Fargo Clone (hence Justice Dept's interest), whereas the others are a result of Judd's tinkering with the clone-stock.

See Nimrod.

M.I.K.

Quote from: GordonR on 03 February, 2016, 01:57:14 PM
I was always more puzzled about why all the Judda seemed to be about seven and a half feet tall

Platform boots.

CalHab

Quote from: M.I.K. on 03 February, 2016, 02:41:17 PM
Quote from: GordonR on 03 February, 2016, 01:57:14 PM
I was always more puzzled about why all the Judda seemed to be about seven and a half feet tall

Platform boots.

Platform boots, winged helmets and snazzy judge-pants (as seen in the interrogation scene). Those Judda were style icons.

ZenArcade

With MIK, platform boots. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

I thought all the judda were Fargo / Dredd clones rather than Judd clones (which doesn't explain the 7 foot thing but does explain why they don't look like Judd). Or have I remembered that wrongly?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

James Dilworth

I remember a story drawn by Mick McMahon where, right at the start,  Dredd rides his Lawmaster out of a teleporter and promptly arrests someone for littering.

Also, has McMahon retired now?  He pretty much quit the internet not that long ago.

ZenArcade

Thought the Marathon droid was still goin good guns.....hope he is anyhow. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 February, 2016, 05:52:57 PM
I thought all the judda were Fargo / Dredd clones rather than Judd clones (which doesn't explain the 7 foot thing but does explain why they don't look like Judd). Or have I remembered that wrongly?

Three bloodlines were mentioned, although I can only remember Simeon and Fargo off the top of my head.  Rico and Dolman are actually clones of Dredd himself rather than Fargo, although according to an attending Tech Judge 'that amounts to the same thing.'

The Judda appear to be about seven foot tall because they're designed by Jim McCarthy and are therefore wearing absolutely MASSIVE boots and really big hats.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.