Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKCX

I think its time to roll out a new franchise from the 2000AD stable without the stink of a previous movie to sour its potential and start afresh. I strongly believe there are more bankable characters at the moment than Dredd. Time to push Strontium Dog, Slaine and Rogue Trooper before Marvel turn the movie going audience off comic based movies.

radiator

QuoteYeah, it's a shame - but we got a great Dredd film out of it, thanks to the cast and crew behind it.

A great Dredd movie that had direct input from John Wagner, and an independent UK production at that. And though not commercially successful, it's become a genuine cult film now that a large amount of people really love - and still talk about a lot two and a half years later (I mean, who still talks that much about Looper or Resident Evil 5?). Rather that than a whole trilogy of horrible Hollywood-ised Dredd movies that completely missed the point. And I got a personal namecheck in it. Can't complain, really. It's still hard to believe it actually happened at all sometimes.

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

shaolin_monkey

Nah, sod that - I am going to live in denial. It's much more fun.

WE WILL GET A SEQUEL DAMMIT!!!

dweezil2

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 December, 2014, 11:14:18 PM
Yeah, it's a shame - but we got a great Dredd film out of it, thanks to the cast and crew behind it.

It is sad news, but I'll echo Steve's, and others, sentiment and say that one great Dredd movie is better than no great Dredd movie at all.

Also much thanks and admiration to all the cast and crew for producing such a memorable film with the quality of which will continue to endure!   :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

radiator

Come on people, this is hardly news!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 18 December, 2014, 01:21:01 AM
Come on people, this is hardly news!

Quite. Hopefully this will stop the endless stupid Kickstarter suggestions though. But I doubt it...

Hey! I know what we should do! Have one of the 'producers' make an animated mini series! I'm sure that would be GREAT!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 December, 2014, 09:01:04 AM
Quite. Hopefully this will stop the endless stupid Kickstarter suggestions though. But I doubt it...

Ohh, no... I've already seen a suggestion FB that the fans should make a full-length feature off their own bat ("It wouldn't cost much") and then give it to... err, someone, to distribute.

Step 3) Profit!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

The marketing and distributor droids need to be shot, frankly.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 December, 2014, 10:40:59 AM

Everything I've ever heard from people in the PR business says that the best PR in the world for a movie is good word of mouth, and Dredd had that in spades. I think Dredd has achieved the best we can realistically hope for — it's detoxified the brand in terms of quality, if not box office potential.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

I didn't think the marketing was terrible, it could have done with a couple more trailers, sooner maybe.

Maybe the market for an R-rated CBM is just too small.

dweezil2

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 December, 2014, 10:50:00 AM

I didn't think the marketing was terrible, it could have done with a couple more trailers, sooner maybe.

Maybe the market for an R-rated CBM is just too small.

Could be the reason.
For instance, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For made less than Dredd and cost more to make.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yeah as Radiator said this is not news just the unfortunate truth. :'(

In ten or twenty years someone might have a go again. With new and better technology it might be a Virtual reality Dredd we see downloading it right into our living rooms.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

Dang.  :( Time to see again the one we do have.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.