Main Menu

Prog 2002. a few thoughts...

Started by Thread Zero, 21 December, 2001, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Don't read this if you haven't read or got prog 2002!

Haven't read it all yet but here are some of my opinions:

Judge Dredd: "Slick on the Job"
Lovely Greg Staples art. Story was a bit flat I thought. I couldn't understand why Slick planted the tracer. Anyone know?

Memento:
I liked this. Although if you read the intro on nerve centre page first (which I didn't), it kind of spoils the end!

Storming Heaven:
Interesting. It starts off a bit like a Vector 13 story then enters Zenith territory. Could become a Zenith type saga for the 21st Century?
Loved the line "A big wonderful human be-in!"
Although as was said already, less mention please of Helter Skelter!

Shakara:
This reminded me of the first parts of Nemesis book one. The "mysterious alien saves other aliens from bad guys storyline." Check out the first parts of Nemesis to see what I mean. Plus Shakara's ship looks like Nemesis' Blitzspear.
Isn't Shakara an Indian word? I think it is.
Too early to really comment on the story as it seems very much an introductory episode. Flint's art is good if not quite in the same league as his Nemesis Book 10 art. I think that was Henry's finest moment.

I'll back after I read the rest.

Bye!

scojo the comic critic

Wake

Tracer

If the perps intended to pay Slick by giving him the boots, they would have brought them along...since the tracer didn't move, Slick knew they had no intention of paying him.

Thread Zero

Oh right.
I though the tracer was stuck to the case!

The other bit I didn't quite get was when Slick exploded the car and entered the house. We see Slick shooting his way in. In the next panel the bad guys hear Dredd outside. It looks like they are unaware Slick has entered!

The sequence of panels is a little confusing I thought.

scojo

GordonR

Slick and Dredd aren't at the same location.  It's two different fights you're seeing - Dredd and the perps at the supposed rendezvous point at the wasteground in Sector 32 and then Slick hitting the perps at their hideout on the South Side.

I'll agree, though, that the story and art don't make this terribly clear.

esoteric ed

Slick on the Job: enjoyable, but predictable revamp of the original tale (new readers anybody?!).

Momento: I liked this, a bit of an unusual old school one off for 2000ad.

Storming Heaven: didn't do it for me, still it is early days.

Shakara: love the monochrome artwork, the sublime use of the colour red really works well.
look forward to more instalments, yes there is similarities I thought with Nemesis, but I guess that's not a bad thing!

Ed

Thread Zero

Regarding ole Slick Dickens, there was a story in the Meg a couple of years ago featuring the greased haired one.

That guy is so slick, oil slicks are jealous!

scojo