Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Great stuff - though my lunch hour ends in a few minutes and I'm only up to Durham Red getting the good kind of adrenochrome :-)

p.s. British ring pulls now are different to ring pulls then - though no idea what current USA ring pulls look like...

p.p.s. Wikipedia makes it look like most/all ring pulls worldwide are standardised nowadays.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixty-seventh episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1988 Judge Dredd Annual.  This is the eighth Dredd Annual, and features a multi part story with full color art by John Higgins, a prose story by Neil Gaiman, and classic tales from the archive!

This episode Conrad is joined by Eamonn Clarke of the Mega-City Book club podcast! Every other week Eamonn and a guest read and review a 2000AD related collection. It's a great show, especially for fans of 2000AD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Frank

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 09 August, 2019, 05:55:37 AM
https://i.imgur.com/XP8dkp0.jpg

In our thrilling hundred and sixty-seventh episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1988 Judge Dredd Annual.  This is the eighth Dredd Annual, and features a multi part story with full color art by John Higgins, a prose story by Neil Gaiman, and classic tales from the archive!

This episode Conrad is joined by Eamonn Clarke of the Mega-City Book club podcast! Every other week Eamonn and a guest read and review a 2000AD related collection. It's a great show, especially for fans of 2000AD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

The original gist of Bolland's rejected page for the 500th issue was a moan about IPC merching the hell out of Dredd without the creators getting a penny. That's why it didn't appear; Bollo didn't crash his deadline (for once).

Here's the original text (and a direct link to a slightly less blurry version than this forum allows)

Good observation that he appears to be drawing The Killing Joke, which he would indeed have been working on at that time (and for some time after).

Greg M.

You'll get a better look at the original art for the Bolland page on this gentleman's CAF site:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1132045

Leigh S

contents page is Higgins as well - full house for Higgins!

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 August, 2019, 12:35:23 PM
You'll get a better look at the original art for the Bolland page on this gentleman's CAF site:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1132045

Legend. Cheers, Gregory.

Lobo Baggins

Poor Dennis. He was ugly before it was cool. Mabel would have been all over him eighteen months later...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Did anybody work out what was supposed to be so revolutionary about Dennis, seeing as clones (and accelerated cloning) were already in use at the time?

Greg M.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 10 August, 2019, 03:05:37 PM
Did anybody work out what was supposed to be so revolutionary about Dennis, seeing as clones (and accelerated cloning) were already in use at the time?

Frankenstein is clearly following the long established tradition of inventing something that already exists but doesn't work quite as well as the original, just like Alan Sugar.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Ah jeez, sorry for missing the Bolland stuff. I saw this original version before the episode went live, as part of the response to our coverage of prog 500, but sadly that was way after this episode was recorded, and I was sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will provide a correction in a future episode!

Is there cloning among the general public in MC-1? We've seen elderly rich people have to choose between a robot body and getting a full brain transplant to a donor body before, and you'd think they'd use personal clones instead. Could cloning be a secret of the Justice Department? But if it is how did those mutants that stole the baby judge clones in the Dredd Angel story know what they had? BAH!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 11 August, 2019, 08:46:16 AM
Ah jeez, sorry for missing the Bolland stuff. I saw this original version before the episode went live, as part of the response to our coverage of prog 500, but sadly that was way after this episode was recorded, and I was sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will provide a correction in a future episode!

There's also the much later story "Too many Jimmy Deans"(?) which has a craze for clone babies sweep the city in Cal's reign leading to a bunch of "Rebel Without a Cause" teens causing trouble for the City...
Is there cloning among the general public in MC-1? We've seen elderly rich people have to choose between a robot body and getting a full brain transplant to a donor body before, and you'd think they'd use personal clones instead. Could cloning be a secret of the Justice Department? But if it is how did those mutants that stole the baby judge clones in the Dredd Angel story know what they had? BAH!

Steve Green

I imagine it goes like this.

The public know about it, but apart from Cal, it's highly regulated.

It wouldn't exactly make Justice Department's life easier if you had widespread cloning.

Also worth mentioning Judd wanting to clone/genetically manipulate a compliant population.

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 11 August, 2019, 09:39:47 AM
Is there cloning among the general public in MC-1? We've seen elderly rich people have to choose between a robot body and getting a full brain transplant to a donor body before, and you'd think they'd use personal clones instead. Could cloning be a secret of the Justice Department?

And there are all those full-body rejuves we're told Dredd has been having. You'd think the Jeff Epsteins of MC1 would be right on that (i).

Of course, MC1 could now be full of fresh-faced identical billionaires for all we know, so seldom do the lives of ordinary citizens disrupt the soap opera of Justice Department and their bitchy rivals. Smiley was mugging Hershey, while that melt Badger and Sector Zero totally pied-off the Department - now their heads have been turned by CJ Logan and Pin's getting salty with Dredd! Oh my God!

(i) And not just for themselves ... ick. Justice Department and their East-Meg equivalents - Kazan was always banging-on about his clone Mother - sure have a lot of unmonetised, bespoke tech.

Steve Green

"The Citizens? What makes you think the readers would be interested in them?"