Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Wasn't too keen on Forgetting Sarah Marshall (though I enjoyed Brand in it), but as a rule I am a sucker for the Apatow/Rogen/Rudd school of comedies. I'd recommend I Love You, Man - very underrated film from a few years back which features a winning performance by FSM's Jason Segel (I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with this Muppets film he's doing atm).

Role Models is also very enjoyable, but avoid Observe and Report like the plague - I could only stand about 30 minutes of that before I turned it off. And don't let anyone tell you that it's "misunderstood" or "edgy" - which is what hoodwinked me into watching it - it's neither, it's just painfully unfunny. Funny People is alright, but very self-indulgent, not funny enough and insanely overlong.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 06 February, 2011, 12:15:57 PM
Wasn't too keen on Forgetting Sarah Marshall (though I enjoyed Brand in it), but as a rule I am a sucker for the Apatow/Rogen/Rudd school of comedies. I'd recommend I Love You, Man - very underrated film from a few years back which features a winning performance by FSM's Jason Segel (I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with this Muppets film he's doing atm).

Role Models is also very enjoyable, but avoid Observe and Report like the plague - I could only stand about 30 minutes of that before I turned it off. And don't let anyone tell you that it's "misunderstood" or "edgy" - which is what hoodwinked me into watching it - it's neither, it's just painfully unfunny. Funny People is alright, but very self-indulgent, not funny enough and insanely overlong.

Yeah I don't remember strongly disliking Observe and Report but I did forget it almost instantly. I do like that group of actors though, they work so well together (and I'd imagine improv a lot) so the dialogue always seems really naturally funny. Haven't seen I Love You, Man so will give it a rent. Paul Rudd especially really cracks me up so that sounds like a good shout, thanks for the tip.

Mardroid

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 February, 2011, 09:45:04 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 06 February, 2011, 04:58:20 AM
Moon.

I found myself standing in my local Blockbusters yesterday afternoon, holding in one hand the DVD of Moon and in the other, the BlueRay. One was a fiver, the other a tenner, and I was weighing up which to get. In the end, neither- but I do need to actually get a BlueRay disc to test out the ps3 we've had for nearly a year.

Moon, I really want to see. But I spent my tenner on the BFI Film Classics: 2001 book.

SBT

You might have the other films already, but might I suggest this?

It's a box-set including Knowing*, District 9 and Moon. I think I actually bought this from Zavvi for a cheaper price during the sale but it's gone up now so Amazon seems cheapest now, (according to this anyway). I still think that's a good price for three films.

That's if you don't mind going DVD instead of Blu-Ray obviously. I haven't checked to see if there's a blu-ray version of that box-set.

*I've yet to see this one, but the other two are good albeit in different ways.

Oh and appologies for the bad grammar and spelling in that previous post:
QuoteIn an interview concerning AvP Lance Henriksen seemed to subscirbe.

That should of course be:
"In an interview concerning AvP, Lance Henriksen subscribed to this view."

Professor Bear

Star Trek: Nemesis was playing in the gym today (via Film 4), and while I still think it a charmless mess of a film, there are moments it rises to the occasion, such as the remaining officers sharing the bottle of Chateau Picard (probably the last bottle in existence) given to the captain by his now-deceased brother when they toast Data's memory near the end, followed by Picard/Riker bromance underlined with Picard's parting words to B4/the audience about Data that are actually about changing and moving on, then a final shot of the Enterprise not jizzing off into a space-warp as usual but rebuilding and preparing for the future.  Not great, but has its moments.

TordelBack

Megamind.  Took the young'un to a 2D showing this afternoon, he'd been banging on about it for ages but we hadn't been able to swing the time.  Apart from being more than a little reminiscent of Doctor Horrible The Movie (no bad thing), it was pretty good fun, with more than a few very funny set-ups, including Megamind's eventual resolution to his pre-credits predicament, which bordered on genius.  On the whole it totally lacked The Incredibles' well-defined believable characters, but Tina Fey's Lois Lane analogue was surprisingly engaging.   Some of the too-infrequent superhero battles were quite spectacular, which I wasn't expecting, and there was an  endless parade of well-done movie homages from Flash Gordon to Superman I and II, and even (shudder) the 90's Godzilla.  

It also did the whole origin-thing for both 'hero' and 'villain' in the same opening five minutes - superhero reboot movies please take note.  I do wish we'd found out what Megamind's parents had actually said to him as he was being loaded into the rocket though...

I, Cosh

Saw Juno on Film4 the other night after the cheese and port was finished. I found the character and the film very endearing. However, I do have a very high tolerance for self-consciously hip references and kooky indieness. Plus I was quite drunk at the time.
We never really die.

dweezil2

Not technically the last film I watched-that accolade goes to The Green Hornet 3D, which was mediocre in the extreme, but I'm looking forward to booting this little bad boy up for my bad movie night-a double bill with Leprechaun in the Hood!

Now after me-Drop that zero and get with the hero!

A film so shit it's genius!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

Aw, man - Cool As Ice is craptacular!

"When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it - just add Ice!"

dweezil2

Quote from: Professah Byah on 06 February, 2011, 11:24:01 PM
Aw, man - Cool As Ice is craptacular!

"When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it - just add Ice!"

Youz knowz it dawwwg!

Ignatzmonster

Keef Monkey

Ha, I've still never seen that! I don't think it could live up to the movie in my head.

Girlfriend bought Whip It yesterday so we gave that a watch. I loathe Drew Barrymore but she used my fancying Ellen Page and Zoe Bell to get me to watch it. I knew it wouldn't be too bad as Amy doesn't really do chick flicks, and I found myself enjoying it. It's very girly, and massively predictable but actually quite fun. Barrymore's not even that bad in it, and she seems to have done an alright job with the direction (although the actual roller derby scenes seem really lifeless). A fun but unexceptional 3 star movie for me.

dweezil2

Cool as ice in an art house stylee? Brilliant!  :lol:

radiator

My girlfriend likes the chick flicks so as a compromise we ended up watching The Switch the other night. I say compromise because as these things go the cast is actually pretty good - I'm a big fan of Jason Bateman and Jeff Goldblum, and Juliette Lewis is in it too.

To be fair it's a cut above 99% of chick flicks, but if I was to sum up the film in one sentence it would be "phoned in". From the script to the direction to the acting, everything about the film had the air of "Will that do?" about it. Goldblum especially seems half-asleep or drunk in most of his scenes.

It's also got one of the most unintentionally funny endings to a film I've ever seen. The finale happens so suddenly and unexpectedly and makes so little narrative sense I initially thought it was a fantasy sequence. It's like the filmmakers suddenly ran out of money and had to abandon the third act and instead end the movie with a short dialogue scene instead.

She also watched Love Actually while I was working on the computer yesterday. What a strange film that is. It somehow remain watchable because of the sheer amount of talent onscreen (and it is a fantastic cast), but there is a lot wrong with it and it is at it's heart a deeply cynical, manipulative movie.

I noticed yesterday just how many boob-shots there are in it, which seem totally out of place... until I twigged that they have been meticulously put there to pacify the 'blokes' that end up having to watch the movie with their partners. Like I said, cynical.

dweezil2

Juliette Lewis is pretty much a good enough reason to watch any movie!
Shame about the scientology thing, but you can't have everything!

JamesC

I watched 'Cool as Ice' the other week.
I like the way he knocks on doors with one single thump and I like the way he says 'let's gee oh' instead of 'let's go'.