Main Menu

To Dredd or No, that is the question…..

Started by broodblik, 18 July, 2020, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Robin Low on 22 July, 2020, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 22 July, 2020, 01:09:42 PM
I'm sure broodbilk wouldn't object if you were to volunteer to run such a contest? ;)

I'll at least give it some thought. In the mean time, if people want to think of the inevitable problems with the idea, as well as their own favourite, that might be helpful.

Regards,
Robin

It is interesting idea and why not. I will still run with the current epic scenario and after that we can do it. I was even looking in something like this: everyone that want to can nominate their top 3 stores/series like Halo Jones Book 3/America/Future Shock "The Last Rumble of the Platinum Horde!" out of the prog/meg/starlord/tornando/crisis/revolver for example and then we have a qualification list and then we select our favorites of them.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 22 July, 2020, 02:00:13 PM
My favourite six-or-so pages of Dredd don't even feature Dredd - Judge Giant Jr and the cadets fleeing Mortis in 'Necropolis'.

Oh now see that's exactly why this competition would be superb. I'd wouldn't have thought of that, but now you've said it I'd have to give it some very serious consideration.

Robin Low as long as you got enough nominations I think that's a smackin' idea. Possibly add some to the pot to start, some of the 'big names' "Stir into the fist of Dredd", "I left my heart at Wounded Knee", "Request denied", "I no longer respect your authority" etc then get folks to add personal nominations on top of that?

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 July, 2020, 03:46:00 PM
Oh now see that's exactly why this competition would be superb. I'd wouldn't have thought of that, but now you've said it I'd have to give it some very serious consideration.

Robin Low as long as you got enough nominations I think that's a smackin' idea. Possibly add some to the pot to start, some of the 'big names' "Stir into the fist of Dredd", "I left my heart at Wounded Knee", "Request denied", "I no longer respect your authority" etc then get folks to add personal nominations on top of that?

Can't remember the words that went with it but the slouchy-Dredd in shadows one from when MC1 is dying from the Chaos Bug (looks a bit like a famous pic of JFK).

Robin Low

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 July, 2020, 03:46:00 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 22 July, 2020, 02:00:13 PM
My favourite six-or-so pages of Dredd don't even feature Dredd - Judge Giant Jr and the cadets fleeing Mortis in 'Necropolis'.

Thanks!

It would undoubtedly be an absolute bastard of a competition, because picking a single episode from so many will be extremely hard. Personally, I find it fairly easy as 'Bury My Knee...' has been my favourite since I first read it, it captures so much of Dredd means to me and there is some brilliantly subtle storytelling in it. That said, once you start thinking about it.... well, I immediately remembered 'Love Story 2', which is one of the funniest Dredd's ever. Your Necropolis episode is one I remember too... and there's that episode of The Deadman when we get the reveal... and for all its faults there's the final episode of Judgement Day with its final page... or episode two of 'Twilight's Last Gleaming' where Blondel Dupre wonders, "The Sisters of Death burnt his face off, and he just got right up and came back and saved the city! ... Why are we fighting a man like that?" I could go on... and on...

I think we'd have to be ruthless with ourselves and only pick one each, not our top three, or it would become unmanageable.

Just a quick edit to add: let's get the best series contest done first! Don't want too many things on the go at once.

Regards,
Robin

broodblik

I would not know where to start. There was some awesome 6 pages of Dredd in the last 43 years.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.