Main Menu

Top 2000AD moments of the last 25 years

Started by McGurk76, 16 November, 2018, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

The nice thing about the last 25 years is the variety in the art. Even the forming years we had such classic artist like Kennedy (Cam/Ian), Belardinelli (how I miss his wonderlust style), Dave Gibbons, Ortiz, Ewins (the list just go on and on).

My highlights story-wise: Nikolai Dante, Red Seas, Shakara, Brass Sun, Brink, Kingdom, Caballistics Inc, Leviathan, Leatherjacket (my favorite John Smith story), Defoe, Stickleback, Icabod Azrael, Age of the Wolf, Aquila, The Order, Deadworld, Helium, Scarlet Traces, Jaegir, Hope, Kingmaker.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Frank

Magnetica

I do wonder how much nostalgia clouds a comparison of the first 15 years of 2000AD and the last 25 years.

And I am only drawing the line there because the question on this thread was about the last 25 years - I would actually end the early part sooner. But anyway..

...I tend to think I prefer the earlier stories and artists but as Tordel's say this exercise is good to show there is also a lot of great stuff in the more recent era.

When I think about it, there is another factor at play...I have simply read and re-read the early Progs so much more than the recent ones and so they are more ingrained in my mind.

It is why, for instance I felt no need to buy the Apocalypse War in the Mega Collection, but snapped up Tour of Duty - I have read those original Progs with AW in them so often, but had never re-read ToD. And it is only on a re-read that I am happy to place it as the equal of things like The Apocalypse War, Judge Child, the Day the Law Died etc.

It is a bit like when I only had a handful of albums, I could name every song, now I have hundreds, I can't

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 November, 2018, 10:30:23 PM
I do wonder how much nostalgia clouds a comparison of the first 15 years of 2000AD and the last 25 years.

And I am only drawing the line there because the question on this thread was about the last 25 years - I would actually end the early part sooner. But anyway..

...I tend to think I prefer the earlier stories and artists but as Tordel's say this exercise is good to show there is also a lot of great stuff in the more recent era.

When I think about it, there is another factor at play...I have simply read and re-read the early Progs so much more than the recent ones and so they are more ingrained in my mind.

It is why, for instance I felt no need to buy the Apocalypse War in the Mega Collection, but snapped up Tour of Duty - I have read those original Progs with AW in them so often, but had never re-read ToD. And it is only on a re-read that I am happy to place it as the equal of things like The Apocalypse War, Judge Child, the Day the Law Died etc.

It is a bit like when I only had a handful of albums, I could name every song, now I have hundreds, I can't

I agree with absolutely everything you've said there (except for buying collections of things I already have in their comic form - space is too much of a premium for me).

Magnetica

Space is a premium for me too, but I am doing it  anyway...but its not sustainable...but I carry on regardless  :lol:

Funt Solo

My experience is similar: with so many re-reads of my early progs, I'd be happy to bet some money on naming the prog number for any cover from 175-350.  Not much money.  But I know those progs and the stories within very well. Immediate artist recognition on any panel would go further - up to 500-ish.

After that, the drugs kicked in.  Sure, there were progs (with numbers on them), and they had art by people.  But it's all a little bit hazy.

Slaine traveled through time (and snogged a bearded lady), but in what order?  Dante traveled throughout the empire (and snogged a bearded lady), but in what order?  I don't think anyone else snogged a bearded lady.  Rogue Trooper was Rogue, then Fr1day, then a Fr1day supper (with chips, y'see), then ... wait, are we on the Norts side now?  Robo-Hunter was a funny detective with idiotic assistants, then he was an action hero, then he was his own niece.  Was Robo-Hunter always just a better version of Magnum P.I.?  Why the fuck is the Gronk a Terminator?  Big Dave?  Is this a Viz reject strip?  Wait, it's Flesh!  It's Joe Savage!  It's The Visible Man!  Nothing has changed ... I've traveled full circle.  Watch out for the Sovs!  We need to warn people ... they're coming!  They're already here!  You're next!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Without thinking about it too hard, stories/moments that have knocked my socks off would be:

Shakara book 1
Judge Dredd: Terror/Total War
Trifecta, especially that bit
When Ian Edginton is good, i.e. Leviathan, Brass Sun, Helium and, controversially, Stone Island
Simon Fraser, Henry Flint, Dave Taylor, Boo Cook, Frazer Irving
Cradlegrave
Ichabod Azrael
early books of Defoe
The renaissance of Kek-W

-things that knock my socks off less: realising that most of the things on that list are now from quite a long time ago!