Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Gonk

Looks like the boffins at CERN have made a mistake over Einstein's theory of the speed of light. :-[

:lol: :-\ :o ::)
coming at a cinema near you soon

TordelBack

Quote from: fonky on 23 February, 2012, 01:48:09 PM
Looks like the boffins at CERN have made a mistake over Einstein's theory of the speed of light. :-[

The coverage of this annoys me (not aimed at you, Fonky).  The OPERA guys clearly stated from their first press-release that theirs was an extraordinary claim, at odds with all other experimental data and the theories they support, and required extraordinary scrutiny.  They explicitly invited the whole scientific community to examine their methodology and results, and set about replicating their results and rigorously examining their own equipment and procedures.  And now it looks like they have identified two sources of error which could explain the bizarre results.  Job done. 

It's frustrating that I won't be able to send tomorrow's lottery results back to today, but this is how science proceeds: it is a system of repeatability, falsifiability and rigour, that's how and why it works as a way of understanding the world.  Seeing this process in action not an excuse for anti-science triumphalism, particularly from camps who take the mistranslated dictation of Bronze Age xenophobes and Iron Age cultists as indisputable truth. 

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gonk

I don't know Tordel. It was the same with the god particle. First it's 99.99% certain not to be there, next 99.99% it is there. Now we can't go faster than light after it's been found that Einstein's theroies are incorrect but are perhaps correct after all.

James Stacey

and that's why Science is Drokking fantastic. 0.01% certainty is still possible.

TordelBack

Sorry that reality isn't all nice and neat, Fonky, but I take it all the (quantum-based) transistors in your computers are all still working, still partly powered by (relativity-based) nuclear fission?  Your (relativity-based) GPS still ticking over?  I don't think physics is doing too badly, all things considered.

Understanding the creation of mass in our universe is an absolutely fundamental question, and the Higgs boson is only one candidate.  I wouldn't expect the answers to be quick or easy.

Gonk

Funny you should mention all that Tordel because while I was typing and reading comments we just expereienced a power cut. Coincidence or something more?

M.I.K.

Science can admit it's got things wrong and alter its point of view accordingly.* I know of few religions which the same can be said of.

*opinions of some individual scientists notwithstanding

Tombo

WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!!   First comes the "oohhh, science", now its music.  Next thing they'll be out robotic overlords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUeGC-8dyk

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tombo on 04 March, 2012, 08:02:35 PM
WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!!   First comes the "oohhh, science", now its music.  Next thing they'll be out robotic overlords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUeGC-8dyk

Dude, the All Blacks have got this shit covered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOod4PpWavQ  (skip to 1:00)
You may quote me on that.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Horizon is doing a nice fear-mongering feature on Solar Storms on BBC2 now. I think the biggest challenge with solar physics is (unlike stellar physics), the sample group is limited to just one.
You may quote me on that.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.