Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 October, 2013, 04:48:29 PM
Missed this until it was just mentioned on Radio 4:

Number of detected extrasolar planets tops 1000.

Wow.

Jim

Yeah, and that probably is a drop in the ocean compared to the real number.  There was a really interesting program I saw a while back (probably a horizon) about the difficulties in finding planets.

Which reminds me of one of my favourite Red Dwarf quotes:
Quote from: Holly
Well, the thing about a black hole,
its main distinguishing feature,
is it's black.

And the thing about space,
the colour of space,
your basic space colour,
is black.

So how are you supposed to see them?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Recrewt on 24 October, 2013, 05:13:33 PM
Yeah, and that probably is a drop in the ocean compared to the real number.

Yeah, particularly since smaller planets are harder to spot. Roughly Earth-sized are pretty much on the very limit of what can currently be detected and, even then, about 10% of the detected planets are 'Earth-like' (which I vaguely understand to mean up to about 2-3x Earth mass) which suggests that we're going to find a lot more as detection techniques are refined.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The sun has been going mental this week, there have been several Coronal Mass Ejections and NASA have released this absolutely spectacular video.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

It scares the shit out of me when the sun starts acting weird.  We're kind of depending on the big yellow bastard.  Reel it in, Sol, mate, you're a bit out of order
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

O Lucky Stevie!

Magnetic fields groan
& the galaxies below say :
"Throw your nebulous body down!"

'Chandrasekhar's Sister' (RT181)

It would appear that Funky Fred Hoyle was none other than .
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Rog69

Quote from: von Boom on 15 October, 2013, 08:25:36 PM
3D Print your own rocket engine. UCSD students test fire first 3D metal rocket engine.

http://www.gizmag.com/3d-printed-rocket-seds/29306/

Cool stuff. The dealership that I work for also sell metal 3D printers from Arcam and Realizer, I have been field testing this item for a few weeks now, its a bottle opener printed in titanium-

3D printing with metals is an interesting process but it's very expensive, powdering metals is a very wasteful process to begin with and depending on the type of metal you are printing with, quite a lot of it gets vaporised during printing, I know gold is very bad for this (which is probably good news for traditional jewellery makers).

It's niche in the market at the moment is for making custom made one off items like medical implants and things that are impossible to make using traditional methods, I recently heard of a customer making curved hollow turbine blades in one piece, there was simply no practical way to do this beforehand.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Rog69 on 03 November, 2013, 04:24:10 PM
3D printing with metals is an interesting process but it's very expensive... (which is probably good news for Games Workshop).

FTFY
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Never expected to see anything remotely like this in my lifetime:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVLBTtd2UY#t=14

I remember clearly the day the first exoplanet was identified, orbiting a pulsar, and then the one orbiting 51-Pegasi, a main-sequence star, just a few years later.  And now we're at over 3,500, that data extrapolated to maybe 40 billion earth-sized planets in our galaxy alone.  And maybe one at Alpha Centauri after all! 

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 09 November, 2013, 11:12:53 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24455141

Onward Science Panzer total mind control awaits!

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Yay for science, but boo for the dubious morality. It's all a little grim.

von Boom

O Lucky Stevie!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 November, 2013, 08:03:56 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 09 November, 2013, 11:12:53 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24455141

Onward Science Panzer total mind control awaits!

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Yay for science, but boo for the dubious morality. It's all a little grim.
This. Moraly it seem's like an all round awful idea....yet so intruiging.

O Lucky Stevie!

So you wondered how to mount a camera & microphone onto it?