Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

When I was a squirt, there were nine planets in the Sol System. Now there are only eight. Or is that ten? Some scientists have done some sciencey stuff and calculated that there may be two more planets out beyond the orbit of Neptune: www.agenciasinc.es/en/News/Trans-Neptunian-objects-suggest-that-there-are-more-planets-in-the-solar-system
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Officially 8, according to the IAU: I miss Pluto/Charon. Z  :(

The Legendary Shark

Speaking of Pluto and Charon, the New Horizons space probe is about to start taking photos of Pluto and its moons to help fine-tune its approach. They're just going to be points of light at this distance but, as it hurtles closer,  I can't wait for the first close-ups of this distant, mysterious world!
pluto.jhuapl.edu/mission/whereis_nh.php
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: ZenArcade on 16 January, 2015, 05:26:59 PM
Officially 8, according to the IAU: I miss Pluto/Charon. Z  :(

Me too.  Weird how growing older means that science grows older too, and thus you constantly have to adjust your mental image of things you've never seen.  It was disappointing to find out that tyrannosaurs didn't stand menacingly upright after all; but far more so to discover they had fecking feathers.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Don'tthink of it as losing Pluto, think of it as gaining dozens, maybe hundreds, of new dwarf planets!

The one that continues to mess with my head is the Jovian system: 4 moons, Io, Callisto, Ganymede, Europa (on which no landing may be attempted), nicely shown on a poster from Armagh Planetarium. 4 moons, imagine that! Oh wait, maybe it's actually 7. Or 12.  No, it's 63.  Just leave me alone.

Tiplodocus

I imagine how I feel. Some of my best mates were Brontosaurs and now I find out I imagined them.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Neat overview of Curiosity's 28 months on Mars... scroll down to get rid of the headache-inducing animation that greets you on clicking that link!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Didn't really know where to post my delight in Pauline Cafferky's release from hospital fully recovered; but here seems good. My compliments to her fantastic medical team. I hope recoveries like this will be a further incentive to translate this into results in West Africa. Z

Definitely Not Mister Pops

She's erstwhile Irish goalie Packy Bonner's cousin don't you know. Weirdest headline for this story by a mile.

Apparently the Canadians had a viable cure about ten years ago but a lack of funding meant they couldn't store it properly and it all spoiled. Also the head of CDC in the states claims they could've had a cure years ago if the government didn't spend all their money on bombs. Puts Shark's Call me Dave's earlier post in context
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: King Pops on 25 January, 2015, 07:38:15 PM
She's erstwhile Irish goalie Packy Bonner's cousin don't you know. Weirdest headline for this story by a mile.

Never knew that.  Then again,  I also thought that 'erstwhile' meant 'worthy' until a couple of months ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm claiming that fact is relevant to science as it falls under the remit of genetics
You may quote me on that.

ZenArcade

Well that's your erstwhile understanding of the term put finally to rest Jayzus. Z  ;)

Mardroid

Cure for tinitus .

Great news if true as I understand tinitus is a real torture for a lot of people. (Thankfully I don't get it much although I do remember heraring a vague ringing when the room is very quiet, particuarly when I was a child, but it was never that disturbuing for me. )The video explanation takes ages to get to the point, which basically boils down to:

Scientist bods in Oxford uni discovered tinitus is caused by the breakdown of something called the myelin sheath which covers nerves in the ears (or is it nerve leading form the cochlea to the brain? Not too clear on that.) It's protection basially.

A particular compound of chemicals will allow your body to create antibodies which will rebuild the myelin sheath.

These chemicals are found in foods that can be bought easily. So change your diet a bit according to the guide this guy is trying to flog, and ... cure for tinitus, with large excess rate.

Yes, it could be a con. They provide a money back guarantee but in the end, will they honour it?

I don't know. But if true, I thought it woudl be of interest anyway. I know there are likely to be tinitus sufferers here as it's a pretty widespread condition.

I might get the guide for a mate of mine if he's interested as he suffers from it. The introductory price (33.07 including postage) seems a bit steep to me as we're basically taliking about a book, but I imagine for a sufferer of the condition that wouldn't be much at all. If it works.

The guy in the video doesn't half go on though...

TordelBack

If it's just a matter of diet, and isn't patient-specific, wouldn't it be nice for someone to make that information freely available. My eyebrow, she is raised.