Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Nasa are considering sending a submarine to Titan to sail the methane sea there.

If that's not drokking fantastic I don't know what is
You may quote me on that.

ZenArcade

Is there oil on Titan, serious question? Z

I don't think there's any evidence. Seems highly unlikely though, you would need complex macrofauna to have existed on ancient Titan to form fossil fuels.

Hawkmumbler

Yes, but how long before I can go on a scuba holiday their!

Well before you even start worrying about transport, you'd need a scuba suit that could sustain you in liquid methane, which is about -165oC.

ZenArcade

Cheers KP, I remember reading a Stephen Baxter short story where they turned hydro carbons into petro chemicals on the oceans. The oceans contained some form of liquid methane. Z

The Legendary Shark

The lakes on Titan are basically lighter fluid. It's been estimated that there are more hydrocarbons on Titan than anywhere else in the Solar System - including Earth.
www.universetoday.com/12800/titan-has-hundreds-of-times-more-liquid-hydrocarbons-than-earth/
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Cool, if we could only stop fucking around killing poor people over resources down here and try and develop some kind of workable off earth industrial base as per Gerard O'Neill, Sagan, Dyson and so many others. Z

The Legendary Shark

I wonder if that's what the judges imprisoned on Titan are doing? Filling an endless supply of disposable lighters to sell to other Mega Cities to help fund the Justice Department?*
*in the prog, I mean, not in real life...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Quote from: ZenArcade on 16 February, 2015, 04:26:27 PM
Cool, if we could only stop fucking around killing poor people over resources down here and try and develop some kind of workable off earth industrial base as per Gerard O'Neill, Sagan, Dyson and so many others. Z

Maybe send some kind of giant oil refinery in space named after a Joseph Conrad novel that stops off at  remote planetoid LV246  on the way home. That can't possibly end in tears.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!