Main Menu

I MISS FINN

Started by eddiemohan, 08 April, 2003, 05:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiemohan

YEAH THE IAST STORY WASN'T UP TO MUCH BUT AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO SEE MORE FROM FINN.

James

Tiplodocus

Not me, I'm afraid.

I've had the bad luck to have to wade through a lot of this preachy, overwrought nonsense in a whole load of nineties 2000ADs and CRISIS magazines.

It really is terrible stuff with bollocks such as The Crusadeer, clunky exposition, Finn shagging everythin that moves 'cos "no woman can resist the beast", lecture notes instead of dialogue, alien conspiracy theories and the most unimaginably unattractive hag witch Mandy drawn as a sex symbol in so many panels it puts you off you breakfast.

I'm sure there's a valid argument and point behind a lot of it but that's true of most evangelical bores regardless of their particular fancy - that doesn't make you want to spend time in their company though.

This is exactly what you should point people at as an example of the darkest age of 2000AD.  

You should look at this and say "Never again".

Put a torch to all of it and then put several bullets through the discs that it's stoed on so that we, our children and our children's children never have to look upon it's kind again.

With luck, in a few generations it'll be hearsay, nay, heresy, to think that something like that could ever have come from 2000ADs hallowed pages.

In my humble opinion, of course, if you enjoyed then I'm glad at least one person did.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Devons Daddy

FINN had one thing going for it.

he was from PLYMOUTH.
apart form that is lost its way to say the least.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Richmond Clements

MR TIPS, I could not have put it better myself, not without swearing.
I'm an athiest myself, but the constant anti-christian bent of the Finn series, and indeed, almost everything Mills has written lately, really annoys me.

Trout

I really enjoyed Third World War in Crisis, but, IMO, by the time Pat Mills got as far as Finn he'd lost the plot, literally.

- Trout

Queen Firey-Bou

yeah , finn in crisis was brilliant... the idea of someone like finn was great groovy & was totally loving it...BUt had to work hard suspending the logic circuits that a great opportunity had turned pants. by the time it got to the ufo bollarks well... gee whizz. a certain author's got a really insulting view of wimmin too ain't he. strange for a worshiper of the matriach. i don't mean the huge tits that the artist evokes. But, well that mandy one was a pure cow-bag, is that meant to be titillating? what branch of magik is that one then S&M for amoral low-esteemers? & how exactly does that same the planet from the scumbags? hmmmm.

however i'd be prepared to give in another go, just cos....

Wood

"FINN had one thing going for it.

he was from PLYMOUTH.
apart form that is lost its way to say the least."

I'm from Plymouth, and frankly, having had to spend the first twenty years of my life in that s**thole, that's just another point against it.

One of the worst crimes Pat Mills has ever perpetrated against comics. And he's done a few.

thinky

I recall that FINN was running when i decided to give 2thou up. Part financial as i was a poor student, and part shit stories i'm afraid.

Pat Mills has been getting a bit of stick here recently (and he didn't help himself in TPO), but i thought the 3rd World War series in Crisis was outstanding and really defined the mag. I bought it for this (and for Ezquerra's art), but also fell in love with The New Statesmen.

I don't like to see Crisis get too much stick as it was brave and for me (17 at the time) was exactly the right time for something a bit more mature while still staying faithful to the weekly

yttim
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Capt.Zeep

I too liked ww3 in Crisis, thought that paul/Finn was actually supposed to be a bit of a smug git.  Saw some of the 2k stuff and didn't think it was that bad...would be interesting to see how he turned out, did he sell out and go to work for New Labour, or would he be in the desert with the Shi'ites sticking it to The Man?  Wouldn't be averse to a one-off with an ageing Finn.

OO-er!

Quirkafleeg

Yeah I liked Third World War... But the rot was starting to set in in book 2. And the more new-agey Finn got the more bollox it became...

The Monarch

i thought it was crap wasn't around for the later series i only read that trash when i was filling in my back issues

bring back canon fodder not this piss

Banners

"I'm from Plymouth, and frankly, having had to spend the first twenty years of my life in that s**thole, that's just another point against it."

I guess this isn't the forum for a pro-Plymouth rally, but I can't simply ignore that overtly provocative (not to mention attention-seeking) sentence. To damn the City with a bunch of asterisks simply ain't on...

Sure, there are social problems, and it suffers economically from a reason no more complicated than its geography. But I've lived in many places in this country, and speaking personally, Plymouth has been one of the best. And if I could, I'd love to go back. Maybe one day...

I'm not originally from Plymouth, but have a great affinity with it - it is a fine place with a lot to be proud of. Sorry you don't feel that way, Wood.

As for Finn or Pat Mills - as long as either pop to Home PArk to watch the Argyle occasionally, then that's alright with me.

M@

ps - apologies if the HTML tags didn't work

Richmond Clements

'Pat Mills has been getting a bit of stick here recently (and he didn't help himself in TPO), but i thought the 3rd World War series in Crisis was outstanding and really defined the mag'

Crisis was a fantastic comic, to begin with. 3WW and The New Statesmen were both brilliant strips. This, IMO, was Mills at the top of his game, with Nemesis in 2K the best thing around at the time. Marshall Law was great.
But, lets be honest (and I truly wish this was not so), he has done nothing of note since.

thinky

But, lets be honest (and I truly wish this was not so), he has done nothing of note since

the recent Slaine apart (which i didn't enjoy), i'll have to take your word on that. Actually, a lot of other people say that too, so it looks like there's a groundswell of opinion here.

Could it be that the current editor(s) don't want to stand up to Pat, or is this whole subject Bandwagonesque where it's an easy subject to jump on.

As someone who only remembers the classic Mills, i'll reserve judgement until the ABC Warriors are back - i'll be keen to hear (all) your opinions then... i'm sure it'll make interesting reading.

yttim
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk