Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Apart from the bit he said about the songs.

You don't go see a musical and then complain there were songs in it.

(OK, except me when I went to see WICKED last year.)

But I guess if you are saying it would have stood on it's own without the songs, that's a reasonable point to make but for me, I think they gave it something you don't normally get in cartoons these days; ORIGINAL songs.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buddy

I'm watching Matrix: Revolutions at the moment and it's pretty damned good.

This film gets a lot of stick but really... what were you expecting.. it's visually stunning has great action sequences and machines designed by Geof Darow... that pretty much sums up a summer blockbuster popcorn movie in my book.

How anyone can like Avatar and piss on this.. I'll never know.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Robin Low on 07 February, 2011, 08:25:49 PM

Jane Eyre (pretty good, nice atmosphere, great performance from Orson Welles, but I expect a lot of the original story was been cut)

Regards

Robin

Welles was ripped in that movie! Saw it after I watched Touch of Evil and screamed in shock.

flip-r mk2

Hellboy 2 The Golden Army, finally got round to watching it all the way from start to finish without interuptions.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

johnnystress

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 February, 2011, 11:37:40 PM
Apart from the bit he said about the songs.

You don't go see a musical and then complain there were songs in it.

(OK, except me when I went to see WICKED last year.)

But I guess if you are saying it would have stood on it's own without the songs, that's a reasonable point to make but for me, I think they gave it something you don't normally get in cartoons these days; ORIGINAL songs.

I didn't know it was a musical

Dark Jimbo

Saw Tombstone for the first time t'other night. I don't normally go much for Westerns, but the impressive cast won me over and I thought I'd give it a go. Pleasantly surprised on all counts, I don't really have a bad word to say about the film. Top entertainment.

Whatever happened to Val Kilmer?
@jamesfeistdraws

James Stacey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 February, 2011, 02:48:20 PM
Saw Tombstone for the first time t'other night. I don't normally go much for Westerns, but the impressive cast won me over and I thought I'd give it a go. Pleasantly surprised on all counts, I don't really have a bad word to say about the film. Top entertainment.

Oddly I saw Tombstone the other night too (Tuesday). Not the first time as I had the good luck to see it in the cinema. We were discussing it could well be Kilmers best performance. As for what happened to him, judging by recent photos, someone has been inflating him.

Dark Jimbo

*quick google image search*

Yikes! You're not wrong.  :o
@jamesfeistdraws

Wils

American Splendor. Low-key brilliance.

Paul faplad Finch

Sherlock Holmes Faces Death.

Only vaguely acquainted with Rathbones Holmes (I'm a Brett man myself) but saw a boxset of all the films cheap in HMV and couldn't resist.

'...Faces Death' is not a great film but has a distinct advantage over it's two predescessors in that it is an actual mystery story rather than than slightly ridiculous Holmes Vs Nazi bobbins.

Rathbone is as good as he's cracked up to be and even comedy Watson has failed to piss me off just yet but I'm told he becomes even more of a cartoon as the series develops so that may change.

The commentary tracks on these films, by Holmes/Doyle experts, are a bit dry and are obviously prepared speeches being read verbatim rather than spontaneous observations or even semi-spontaneous with notes. As a newbie to the series they are telling me facinating stuff I don't know but it's just a shame they don't sound as interesting as they actually are, if that makes sense. They're sometimes a little hard to stay focused on.

Will be rationing the rest of the series. As good as some of the films (and Rathbone) are, this isn't really a 'marathon session' boxset.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Tiplodocus

TOMBSTONE.   "I'll be your huckleberyy".

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 February, 2011, 02:52:50 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 February, 2011, 02:48:20 PM

Oddly I saw Tombstone the other night too (Tuesday). Not the first time as I had the good luck to see it in the cinema. We were discussing it could well be Kilmers best performance. As for what happened to him, judging by recent photos, someone has been inflating him.

Loved Chubby Kilmer in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Michaelvk

Top secret was kilmer's best performance..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

House of Usher

Blue Valentine, this evening. Superb. Lovely, and very sad. No cheap sentimentality and manipulation, just truth.
STRIKE !!!

Tiplodocus

TOP SECRET is brilliant. much under rated and unseen. so many great gags (and songs)