Main Menu

Leviathan - it's going to be big

Started by Dounreay, 09 August, 2003, 03:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Zeep

"That teaser pic is sumtpious. It's like something from Jules Verne."

I was thinking TinTin...

Nice Tom

Tintin, who appeared in Scarlet Traces...
I think the TV stuff can detract a bit. Like at the end of Scarlet Traces, where the news correspondent was one Katerina Adie. It felt like a bit of a cheap joke among the tragedy.

Floyd-the-k

Yes, fantastic.  Big ship, class hatred, strange world, dogged hard-bitten hero.  It`s got everything.  I agree about the Katerina Adie bit being a cheap joke in Scarlet Traces, but it was a small thing, didn`t really detract from the overall brilliance.

yours ready to be spooked,

Floyd

Trout

The references so far have been pretty small things, and continue a long-term 2000AD tradition.

As long as they don't get to the level of, say, Star Drek or that Harry Potter Dredd (ugh), they don't bother me.

I enjoyed the one Kim Newman book I read, as well as LoEG and Scarlet Traces.
Although I am a little concerned that too many people are doing this, it's good fun in small doses.

Coincidentally, last night I was reading Jack Staff and was enormously amused by the TV guest stars there.

spoilers

just

in

case

The entire cast of Dad's Army, plus Steptoe and Son? Very silly, but somehow it worked. :-)

- Trout

Tiplodocus

It depends how obvious the references are and whther they are just cut and pasted in to get a gag or whether they are woven into the story in a subtle way.

I din't mind the ones in Leviathan (mainly because I missed them!) but the one that makes me moan every time I see it is the Nikolai Dante "Georgie Lucasovitch: Tsar Wars". A pretty lame gag that pretty much  reduces the gravitas of some of the serious war stories it's attached to.

S

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

I originally thought they revealed the baddie a bit too early in Leviathan - especially given that it is wearing Leviathan branded clothes but with this weeks (1353) episode sending lament back to below decks, I'm not so sure what's going on.  Thankfully it doesn't look like we are in for a standard "bug hunt" type story here.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Aaron Smurf Murphy

I spoke to D'Israeli about Leviathan at the Bristol con and without giving away spoilers I have a firm feeling this'll be a one off series...

Finnigan Sinister

Tex Hex

"its going to be big"

It is! A whole mile if its to be believed!