Main Menu

2000 AD Online Code of Conduct

Started by Wake, 12 June, 2007, 04:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I've checked with Rebellion and removed 'contests' from 14.

That's one of the things that makes this board great - a sensible, sensitive Admin in consructive dialogue with the Suits (or Polo Shirts, as it appears to be).  

I wouldn't worry too much, chaps, far from teh dawning of the Byrnian Era this is all par for the course, and essential boiler plate for Rebellion to have in place in case some mentalist (I forget, is that an official ethnic group now?) or troll (now I know that that's a race, they're in D&D) takes their umbrage offline.  After all, they're paying for the place, so any mental anguish suffered can be placed at their doorstep.  I hope this means we've seen the last of Rogue's goolies, but I fear it doesn't...

Wils

My only question is: Is swearage now a no-no? If it is, that's me, Logan and 54 pretty much muddyfunstered for a start.

VampiraJen

can we still swear coz that's a big issue for me.  mods on other boards keep deleting my posts coz of my vile language

Quirkafleeg

>14. You may not conduct surveys,

So what about the 'polls' function?

Peter Wolf

I f******  hope not !     I like swearing as long as its not gratuitous and not name calling or abuse then it should be ok.   I rely on swearing as it gets a lot of aggression out of my system.

A bit of disgression and not too much  ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dudley

Peter Wolf

This place is very very civilised compared to what i have heard about.   I dont visit certain messageboard chatrooms  but all they do is argue and insult just because of differences of opinion.  Just like children.      Who can string the most swear words together wins the argument !  boring      I know someone who is a bit of a loser that goes to these places every day.       .pointless.     just like the person i am talking about.

Bico

There are sweary filters that do all the work for you if you fancy modding the swears out of posts - although it does tend to keep censoring the word Scunthorpe, for some reason.

What about religeous slurs if you happen to be from that particular religeous group?  Or racial slurs in the same situation - I'd never drop the n-bomb, for instance, but can a black person do so?

WoD

Where does it stop, someone call me Taffy quick...

On a serious note, some of the swearing we've had on here in the past has been too strong for kids of any age, so I don't mind seeing it curtailed.  But it is a fairly 'adult' board and I wouldn't want to be treated as a kid.  In general the board runs quite smoothly and I'm interested if Wake feels there's any specific issues that need to be resolved, hence the code of conduct.

I would also add that we need to keep the pimping going on the board or we'll never keep up with what people are doing.

The Amstor Computer

What about religeous slurs if you happen to be from that particular religeous group? Or racial slurs in the same situation - I'd never drop the n-bomb, for instance, but can a black person do so?

I'd say no - even assuming you're of the opinion that a black person has special dispensation when it comes to using the word, how do you know who is who online?

Peter Wolf

i make an effort not to swear much when posting  unless it is necessary and even then just the odd f*** as it doesnt look good printed on screen.   I think i am safe on that score.

I wont ever post the word c*** as i am yet to see it here so far. [even though i just did]

you dont want to be in the same room as me sometimes if you dont like swearing.   thats anyone i mean.

using too much swearing to insult someone is just boring.

Bico

I was thinking more along the lines of what Wod pointed out - jocular but not malicious use of terms like taffy, mick, fenian, etc?  Or referring to female boarders as love or petal?

I suspect this has to do with some boarders slanging personal abuse of late, so I'm happy to see a bit of moderation coming into force, even if it means I now have to stop using some of my favourite words.

-Dunk!-

I'd gladly see the back of the N word, the F word, the MF word, the C word and the R word.

But occasional mild creative swearing like Arse Biscuits seems fair usage, lets a boarder's personality through and gives me a giggle.

LCD Tulkas.

Peter Wolf

Is posting swear words that  are like f*** instead of the printed word itself any better ?  I prefer it myself anyway to seeing it printed.

can you do a series of   *!*!*@*!*!*!** instead ?      I have to let off steam somehow same as everyone else.

Its difficult not to swear sometimes.  If i am with family etc, its alright to say  f***
but other words are not acceptable.  

I suppose its different for everyone.

Its a bit stupid ,the dont let the children hear you swearing because its everywhere.  just not too much and no C word.  Its not good to say that around children.

Wils

Although considering that "fucker" has actually been in the prog, wouldn't it be a tad hypocritical to ban it from the messageboard?

Btw, what's the R word,as I can't figure out which one you mean? Rectal? Ringpiece? Ronnie Corbett? ;)