Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quotewonder when the next epic will be?

Soon, according to John Wagner...

Satanist

Quote from: radiator on 25 May, 2011, 10:17:45 PM
Quotewonder when the next epic will be?

Soon, according to John Wagner...

Good to know as I had also been wondering bout this.

Oh and Abs is my very fave thing in the prog at the mo!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

QuoteGood to know as I had also been wondering bout this.

I've posted this before, but for those that missed it, Mr Wagner has stated that he is working on a new Dredd series, the first arc of which is starting soon and will be drawn by Ben Willsher. He said that the structure of the new story will be similar to Tour of Duty, but that the subject matter would be very different.

John Caliber

Best way to tackle lengthy stories, an overall arc explored through different premises  - nothing worse than the commencement of a mega-epic that fails to please, then having to endure the same plot and characters for five months.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

satchmo

Quote from: radiator on 26 May, 2011, 07:58:49 PM
QuoteGood to know as I had also been wondering bout this.

I've posted this before, but for those that missed it, Mr Wagner has stated that he is working on a new Dredd series, the first arc of which is starting soon and will be drawn by Ben Willsher. He said that the structure of the new story will be similar to Tour of Duty, but that the subject matter would be very different.

That's seriously good news. Though I've gotta say this period of stories we've had from Al and Mike has been scrotnig. Old Stoney Face is in some capable hands right now.

Hoagy

When they put NEXT: THE PUSHER under THE END, that makes me wonder if a mini epic/ prefix to an epic is on its way. Is this not often the case? If not why do they do it in the first place? An anchor character comic standard?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

radiator

The Pusher is a one-off by Alan Grant and Peter Doherty.

Keef Monkey

Had these for a week, just waiting for my lie-in read this morning :)

Cover - Solid, but nothing too noteworthy I thought.

Dredd - A pretty forgettable story, but great art. Teague gives very good Dredd.

Anderson - Good old school fun, and Ezquerra is always a joy.

Red Seas - I don't really like this magic tiny-but-now-massive boat full of robo-spartans maguffin. Just a problem I have with some things set in fantastical worlds, where solutions are often pretty random. I really like Edginton in general though so not in any doubt about his writing chops, but that seemed a bit Russell T. Davis to me.

Absolom - Best thing in the prog this month I reckon. The golem idea was conveyed fine, I'm sure it was mentioned (or at least made clear) in the first episode that they weren't human. I'd assumed they were made of clay for some reason but now realize that was a bit of madness on my part.

Dante - Another one of them blasted double crosses! Dante's back on form to me and the conversation with his mum was poignant considering things are coming to a close.

Not a wowzer of a prog, but a damn good one.

TordelBack

Late to the party, but happy to see a Prog that grabbed me, after a few weeks when my faith was a little tested.  

Cover:  Superb.

Droid Life:  Nice.

Dredd:  What's this?  An Alan Grant Dredd that I really enjoyed?  Blimey!  Richardson turns in some great character art, and a really classic action sequence on page 3.  Splitch  Splutch indeed.

Red Seas:  -sigh- I used to rave about this series, now it's just annoying me.  Last week the demon Captain ordered the sweeps run out.  This week there's still no sign of them, but the Bireme on the same hand seems to find its ones useful.  No wonder they can't stop Jack's crew, at least his bright boys and robot allies can (generally) follow simple orders.  Or could it be that Edginton thinks sweeps on a ship are something other than long oars?  Because there's a lot of that going on, mixed up terminology, ancient Greek warriors using Latin words ("Aggress!"), that sort of thing.  I'll take my whining over to the pedantry thread, but I think I'm basically bored with The Red Seas.  Bah.

Cadet Anderson:  Enjoyed this a lot more than last week, an interesting tale.  Like that Young Cass is hard as nails.  However, some of the colouring, especiallly on Anderson's white helmet, is pretty weak.  The terrible sign lettering is back too.  Sorry Ezquerras!

Absalom:  Finally finds a place in my heart.  Thought that was great throughout, perfect art, and good to see Ravne, Jenny and Junior.  Loved the recitation of family trees.  

Dante:  The main event.  A story that's mature, assured, very cool and knows it.  Masterpiece stuff.

BPP

heh. Grumpy auld sod, them mystical self-repairing amazing-shrinko warriors, if only they had paid more attention in their classics course eh?

The Red Seas is fabulous - Its a beautiful kids yarn with wit and smarts for the adult. More importantly Yeowell's art is probably the finest thing in 2000ad - he has long since graduated into the pantheon of perfect pen-men, a fluid economy of style, beautiful line work and suggestion over detail where the human eye can frame the rest of an image. Fans may prefer muscle-work artists (the generic ones that end up in America) or ultra-modern stylists but Yeowell would be the classicists choice. I can see people who are new to comics not getting it when it sits beside coloured work or ultra detailed stuff but would have thought 2000ad's mature readers would savour every elegant panel.

As for the story - well this outing we've had visits to two different sets of gods, a major coup in the heroes ranks, the reveal of immortality, the Devil kicking seven shades out of his own henchmen, a naval battle and now indestructo-bots fighting for the forces of good - Dr Brian Cox would officially say 'amazing'.

The Prog continues its fine run, with only Dredd being a tad below-10 but not so meh as to warrant complaint. Notably only Cabs UnInc. seems 'mature' in content - Dredd, Anderson, Red Seas and Dante atm would all be uncontroversial for a younger audience.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

vzzbux

With The Red Sea's the mythos is from all aspects of the known earth covering many belief's and religions thus confusion will, I suppose, occur.
Agree with BPP. The Yeowell Droid's art is masterful and I am enjoying both stroy and art.
Still waiting for Red Sea's to bleed into Stickleback.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Quote from: vzzbux on 30 May, 2011, 10:14:08 PM
Still waiting for Red Sea's to bleed into Stickleback.

Notes presence of what seems to be Hephaestus' miniature ship in the Library of the Brotherhood of the Book in Stickleback: Mother London. 

Simply Si

Am I the only one that thinks that Dante looks like Jeremy Beadle on this cover?!   :lol:

Do you have to put something witty here?