Main Menu

GBH (Dead): colour? Help!

Started by ming, 14 September, 2018, 03:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Hey folks,

I'm after some pointers or some kind of consensus for what colours to use in my ongoing battle with a Lego GBH (see the 2000AD Lego thread).  Massimo seems to have gone with blue skin and hair in the initial cover (Prog 232) but then he appears with greyish skin and bright orange hair later on (and also purplish skin and grey hair).  It does seem a bit open to interpretation but any suggestions / thoughts would be welcome...

Steve Green

Massimo probably wouldn't have done the colour on the covers.

I'd go greyish purple/violet on the skin, and maybe pink and blue on the hair.

In the colour pages it changes from panel to panel - blue/yellow on one and blue/pink on another.

Lobo Baggins

Bellardinelli provided colour artwork for a couple of the annuals, and I can reveal that GBH had hair that was a constantly shifting colour, from a pale blue with white highlights and orange tips, to pale blue with yellow highlights, then blond, then it's yellow and green, white and blue and finally dark blue in the story in the 1986 2000 AD Annual (although it's purple and blue on the cover), and dark orange for his one panel in the 1989 2000 AD Annual (alt-universe GBH has white and purple hair for his single panel).

Hope that helps!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

ming

Thanks, folks!  The lack of consistency is a bit surprising (and mildly annoying); colours really do seem to be all over the shop.  I know Massimo wouldn't have done any colour work on the early Prog covers (Tom Frame et al. were on duty there I imagine) but Prog 232 seems to have had colouring applied directly to the original artwork (something I've never seen on another cover from this period).  This may have been as a colour guide for subsequent colourist working on an acetate overlay but whatever the reason I can't imagine anyone other than Massimo having done it*

I might go with either grey or pale blue skin and darker grey (or possibly some shade of blue) for the hair (it depends on what colours are available for the bits I need to use).  At least the fact that there seems to have been no standard palette means that I'm as right (or wrong) as the next guy.

* unless some unfortunate owner of the original came home one day to find his kids had coloured it in, in which case they did a very good job.

Pyroxian

Quote from: ming on 14 September, 2018, 04:48:51 PM
Thanks, folks!  The lack of consistency is a bit surprising (and mildly annoying); colours really do seem to be all over the shop.  I know Massimo wouldn't have done any colour work on the early Prog covers (Tom Frame et al. were on duty there I imagine) but Prog 232 seems to have had colouring applied directly to the original artwork (something I've never seen on another cover from this period).  This may have been as a colour guide for subsequent colourist working on an acetate overlay but whatever the reason I can't imagine anyone other than Massimo having done it*

I might go with either grey or pale blue skin and darker grey (or possibly some shade of blue) for the hair (it depends on what colours are available for the bits I need to use).  At least the fact that there seems to have been no standard palette means that I'm as right (or wrong) as the next guy.

* unless some unfortunate owner of the original came home one day to find his kids had coloured it in, in which case they did a very good job.

One of the more grey-y blue colours would probably work for the skin tone (Sand-blue?).

ming

Quote from: Pyroxian on 14 September, 2018, 04:53:21 PMOne of the more grey-y blue colours would probably work for the skin tone (Sand-blue?).

Good call for that colour (and knowing the name, which is more that I do!).  I did a quick test with some options and it's by far the best... (It's the one on the right.)

I'll tweak the hair (or redo the do) at some point soon; might stick with the basic grey or the sand green (probably without the streaks, at least in that pale colour).

ming

Colin YNWA

Yeah I think that's pretty much as I see him. Some folks seems to go for deeper colours but I think the more muted tones work well with the (RIP) even if its not meant to be literal.

Pyroxian

Quote from: ming on 14 September, 2018, 06:18:07 PM
Something like this, maybe?

Yeah, that looks like how I'd imagine him to be.

TordelBack

Thirded. Works well with the Feek and Ace schemes too. Looking forward to your Ughbugs! 

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 September, 2018, 01:00:33 PM
Thirded. Works well with the Feek and Ace schemes too. Looking forward to your Ughbugs!

Don't get me started; the boys will be wanting a Titan of Peem next...  GBH has come on nicely today with help from the younglings (in return for starting on Mad-Eye Moody and Grindelwald figures for them).

Greg M.

Quote from: ming on 16 September, 2018, 05:20:32 PM
Don't get me started; the boys will be wanting a Titan of Peem next...

I want a Titan of Peem!