Main Menu

Computer purchase advice

Started by JamesC, 31 December, 2018, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Hi all.
I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I want something nice and light weight but it doesn't need to be particularly powerful. It'll be used for basic officey stuff but I don't think a Chromebook would be good as my girlfriend will also use it and does lots of work in areas without unreliable internet connectivity.
I don't want to spend too much and don't want something preloaded with lots of crap (MacAffee and all that rubbish) or for it to have a version of windows installed that it can barely cope with (as seems to be the case with my parent's laptop).
Can anyone recommend a place to buy a decent, reliable computer for a good price?
Thanks.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I was recommended the Dell outlet, and would do so for all you here.

The machines are all guaranteed and come from Dell. Some have superficial damage.

If you're not in a rush, they release codes every few weeks that give a hefty discount on their machines and make them super, super reasonable.

I got an Alienware gaming laptop with loads of bells and whistles - RRP £2000 - for £900. The same level of discount applies to all their models.

You do need a code though. The one I got had a dent in its case and was reduced to £1200. I then got a code for another 25% off.

Snidely, they show prices ex-VAT on their site, so you do need to be careful.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Local cheese shop is always good. And you get a free mouse.
DDT did a job on me

Theblazeuk

Holy crap an Alienware for £900!?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yup. And with a 1070, SSD and 32Meg

Bit of patience, and waiting for a double discount - which the outlet does every few months.
Lock up your spoons!

Theblazeuk

Wow. A 1070 alone...

I mean still way outside my price range, hence my frankenstein of parts being a modular upgrade every time (Got a 580 so for the first time at the top of the graphics range) but boy. Definitely something to keep in mind.

[Sorry to not offer advice James, I only do Desktops as you can modify them without ruining the circuitboards through cackhandedness]